VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Dropped Axle

VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-05-30

Dropped Axle Empty Dropped Axle

Post by VanninBlaino Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:35 pm

I've talked to Sids dropped axle, he said he is about 4-5 weeks behind. I really want a dropped axle before i go to Cruis'n the coast, in early October. Anyone have any ideas of what to do? Or anyone else to use? Thanks!

Dropped Axle Empty Re: Dropped Axle

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Sid is the guy out in Oklahoma right? If so he is the only one I can find online that will admit do doing dropped axles anymore. Local guys that I asked about having my axle dropped indicated that there is another guy in California doing it but I dont have a name/number/address or anything.
    I have pondered the options and I am thinking that I may end up fishplating the framerail for about 3' (1.5' before and after the axle intersection point) with some healthy material (3/16 plate probably) on both sides of the frame. I would then notch into the frame rail about halfway to allow axle movement to occur where the frame used to reside. Should net me 2" of extra drop. Might add an axle drop later on for even more good lowness.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Here is some axles- Speedway has- theyve been around many years & maybe a phone call to them will get you the company that makes axles for them??- http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-axle.html [i]
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Post by VanninBlaino Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks guys. The big problem I have also is that i want my axle before i go to Cruisin the Coast in Mississipi, in 31 days. I hope Sid can pull through. And MoparFreask, yes he's the one in Oklahoma.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Im considering dropping my own, with a jig similar to the one these guys made. I dont know what your fab skills are, but it may be an option

jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198214

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:47 pm

I too have thought of that, might still be an option next year if I havent come up with any other options.
    Thanks for the link Window Licker.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:24 am

Im not educated too much on the subject , but Im running some low profile 14s in the front of both my truck n van and have a hell of a time trying to get a small jack under the front of them for service. I imagine y'all plan on useing air bags?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:31 am

I think your on the right track with short tires, thats the biggest issue I see with lowering these vans, the wheel wells are close to the tires frame the start granted I have 235/75/15s but there really is no way to gain wheel well with out comprimising comfort. Air bags and notching the frame and flipping the springs is the easy part.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:54 am

Ah ya you kids like those Donks! Lowered with 17's or 22's. 22's belong on a Freightliner in my opinion. But everyone has a personal choice, Im not raggin or tellin ya whats right or wrong we all customise our vans to our taste. Thoes slammed vans look cool. Im just old school and Benwah look funny rollin into a show with a van all tricked out with all the modern gismos of today.
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Post by VanninBlaino Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Haha. I'm probably going with 18s. I was going to go with 18s in the front and 20s in the back, but the 20s seem like they will eat the car. I really like the look of a big wheels on a car. Not like those donks though! I'm not lifting my van to get a big wheel, I'm lowering it over them! I hate those Monte Carlos on 28s!

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Im fine with 15s I just wanna go low

Post by Guest Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:16 am

Me too. Not quite VanGo low, but still pretty darn low. Its not low enough for me unless I am tucking rim on a 15" wheel. Thats just the stance I am looking for in my truck. Doesnt have to be what someone else wants because that isnt the point.
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Post by VanninBlaino Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:37 pm

How have you all lowered the vans? I talked o a guy with a van on craigslist who just took out 3 leafs in the front and flipped the back axle.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:50 am

I took out 3 leaves in my front as well. Worked pretty good although it isnt low enough for me. I left the rear as-is because I am going to wait until I have my 295s on to see how low I need to take it. I want to just tuck rim on all 4 corners. When I go to lower it I am probably going to have my springs worked on by a local spring shop to de-arch them to where I want it to sit.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:28 pm

^^ Did you measure before and after??
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Post by VanninBlaino Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Yeah, I'd like to know how much drop you got. And is the front super soft now?

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:50 am

If I recall it dropped it about 3 inches. I am not in the country right now so I cant measure it for you as of yet.
    As far as ride quality, didnt seem to change it much but that could be due to crappy shocks. Bumps seem about the same before and after, only thing I noticed is that it bottoms out where before it didnt. I dont drive it fast or hard so that really isnt an issue for me at this time. When I decide to go lower I will probably end up doing some notching for more travel whichever route I go.
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Post by VanninBlaino Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 am

Oh, alright. Did it look dumb with the rear being high? I have top see what i can do, but i think i'll have to cut my floor for clearance to flip my back axle. I have pretty crapy shocks right now too, so i guess with new shocks and 3 leafs out, it will ride a litle better or the same. haha.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:10 am

Here is stock height in the front and rear:
    Dropped Axle Polished2

Here is with the leaves removed (3) in the front, the rear left stock:
    Dropped Axle Wheels1

Its as close as I can get to the same picture right now. Same tires/wheels with the exception of they were painted in the second one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:43 pm