VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Digz
ditdater
donivan65
DanTheVanMan
8 posters

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question Empty 1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:30 pm

OK folks.. Guessing only a select few can give an accurate answer to this one...

So here's the deal. Was rewiring the tail-lights today and replacing all the wiring from where the original harness pop's out of the channel in the rear driver's side upper corner. And in doing so I gave it a little "tug" (Some of your are laughing already!)to see if the was a little extra wire up there...

So, one tug.. nothing.. second tug and got about 3 1/2 inches. Cool Right? So I finished wiring up the tail-light and went to test it... And NO JOY! So I of course referred to the wiring diagram and quickly figured out what I believe I did was with the second tug dis-connected the connector shown in the pic below.

My question is: Has anyone ever had to replace the rear harness and dealt with this connector? And can anyone tell me "exactly" where in the channel the connector is? And sure I will get a few "I think" or "I'm guessing" replies but I'm looking for that one person who truly "knows" where it is. Before I start pulling the wall, window and ceiling panels.

Thanks,
    Dan

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question 66_wir10

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question Empty Re: 1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 pm

What Dan is asking is where is that plastic connector that is up inside the rafters right near the roof bow that the rear dome light is in,,,,,(something like this),,,,,if you can feel up in there where the roof meets the sides, you will feel wires,,,,,and somewhere there is a connector that he thinks he unplugged,,,,and will need to start pulling down paneling to find that connector to push it back together,,,,,

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question Repai331
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question Empty Re: 1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question

Post by ditdater Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:56 pm

sorry if this isnt help , but i just went outside and looked at my 65 . which is pretty orig. , mine has a single wire connector (along side rest of wires )3-4 inches towards the front ,from last side (bottom to top beam/brace). actually right there has the metal bent down like someone did the same thing . sorry no camera . holler at me if i can help by phone 502 432 3684 danny
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Donivan: I was hoping you would log on tonight! Your the Man!! The Picture Man! That's exactly what I needed.

Thank you!
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:41 pm

That bent metal belongs there,,,thats how the plastic connector gets shoved into the frame,,,,and there are 2 connectors in the railing,,,,,pretty much where the connector branches off into each roof brace to run the wires to both dome lights,,,,so thats where they should be,,,,unless,,,,,,someone dragged them somewhere along the roof railing,,,,,,,,does the dome lights still work if you are still using that circuit?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:06 pm

And using those bend outs in the rail,, leave enough slack in the wiring to pull the harness out. You need to be able to slide the wiring back and forth some to get the plugs thru those
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:27 pm

No dome lights in this one. Removed long before she became mine. Decided to remove all panels, window frames and ceiling panels tomorrow.....

Will let you know what I find! This should be fun!!! Rolling Eyes

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:47 pm

,,,,once upon a time,,,,,when I was up there in the rafters,,,,,I ran a 10 gauge wire up from the fuse box to 12 volt outlets on both sides to run my TV, Computer, fan and all chargers..........

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question Repai332
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:25 am

Dan, This is a complete rear harness from the left tail light boot to the connector measures 48 " there are 2 connectors in there at the same place the left tail light connector is in one unit and the right is in another
    c1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question Img_1719
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:43 am

Thanks guys. Now I know what I'm working with and what to look for!

Great Pic's! Never actually seen a whole harness in one piece laid out before!

Thanks! cheers

It's 7:40 am. Going to finish my coffee and head on out to get started...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:55 am

You probably know this , but if you are going to run new all the way thru the front pillar use the old wires to pull the new ones in. At least it seemed easier to me.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:00 am

Digz,
    Learned that one years ago! Think my dad showed me that when I was about 6 or so. I do have several fishing tools as well. Smile

Wiring is pretty much straight forward on these van and I have replaced complete harnesses before with aftermarket ones. Really not that hard. I've just never had to try to locate this connector while in place in the vehicle. When we replaced them completely we just cut and pull the old ones out. I have a fishing tool the reaches in the back upper harness hole all the way to the fusebox...

And if I can manage to pull that connector far enough out. I think I will just remove the connector completely. I really don't see the logic in having one there.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:13 am

Dan,When I rewired mine,I used a wiring harness from an Johnson outboard motor to the controls. All nine wires in a shield. Still added more wires for extra functions I wanted to have in the rear of the van. Channel was full when all wires were pulled in.Good luck. Just remember to not put any screws into that channel! Most electrical fires in these vans started in that channel.
    Lester
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Well it was just as I suspected. I pulled the plug apart! Very frustrating to get to it since I have wall and window panels. Not to mention a ceiling with isolation ! Yeah! It all had to come out...

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question Img_2066

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question Img_2067

But once it was out the wiring was pretty simple thanks to the pic's you guys posted. Thank you!

I replaced all the wiring from the connector back and now everything works like a charm! cheers

Dan

*** That connector now has a "Zip-tie" around it!!! ***

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:14 pm

hopeing that you taped that connector together ? so it cant ever come apart again?? cheers
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:hopeing that you taped that connector together ? so it cant ever come apart again?? cheers

See above post! tongue

DanTheVanMan wrote:

*** That connector now has a "Zip-tie" around it!!! ***

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:35 pm

All I have to add is....

1st Gen Rear Wiring Harness Question 36677_original
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Hahahaha! Razz

68.. you kill me!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 pm

,,,,,quit blaming the connector,,,,he ain't bothered nobody for the past 47 years,,,,,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:12 pm

The Zip-tie is to "Protect" the connector. FROM ME! Razz

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:44 pm