VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
itruns
xjamesx
G-Man
back2thewoods
DanTheVanMan
sasktrini
10 posters

Hello! Allow me to introduce myself...

Hello! Allow me to introduce myself... Empty Hello! Allow me to introduce myself...

Post by Guest Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Just wanted to say 'Hi!' and introduce myself.
    Name is Dave, and I'm in the Denver metro area of Colorado.
    Transplanted in '01 from Southern Cal where I grew up, or more accuratly 'got older', I haven't ever really grown up.
    Had a couple of early G's, a '64 and a '66 (both 90's), that I still miss to this day.
    Loved making UTurns on two lane streets without the need of 3-4-5 point turnabouts... Very Happy
    I'm looking to get my hands on another one 64 to 66 (no door) to do it right this time.
    The '64 I owned had no shroud, and since it was my first, the 6 banger popped before I knew it was a necessity.
    Built a tasty little 283 for it, and found a '68 in the junk yard that I was able to take the entire cowl assembly out of to make it all fit.
    With L60-15s on the rear, the 283 would darn near lift the front's off the ground, except for the weight of so much bondo on front...
    It was pretty quick, for a G.
    The '66 was much prettier, but never really got the project off the ground before life, moving, and the '70's hit me in the face.
    Had enough 1x12 aged barnwood cedar, fresh off the barn, to do the whole interior too! Sad
    So, now I'm looking for a project again...
    The pages here are a blast from the past, and I look forward to braggin' up my next project, soon as I find one.
    Someday soon, the Midnight Rambler will live again!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Hello! Allow me to introduce myself... Empty Re: Hello! Allow me to introduce myself...

Post by sasktrini Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:08 pm

Welcome! looks like you might have to head to NM for the 64 panel, TPI 350 if I remember correct?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Hello! Allow me to introduce myself... Empty Re: Hello! Allow me to introduce myself...

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Welcome Mandos! I'm transplant from Michigan to Colorado Springs to Stockbridge, GA. and soon heading back to MI. Good to have you aboard. Sounds like you have some history with earlies and that's always welcome here.

Welcome,
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Hello! Allow me to introduce myself... Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by back2thewoods Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:20 pm

any pictures of your old one? i have a 64 no-door with a 283, your right, ballsey motor!!welcome aboard!! great bunch of guys.knowledgeable.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Unfortunatly I have no photos of the 64 or the 66.
    The 64 barely would have been recognizable as a G, due to the abundance of bondo on the front, and both the zeal and lack of skill with which it was applied.
    Folks could hardly believe that it was as quick as it was, considering it looked so poor.
    Friday and Saturday nights on Belmont in Fresno was the scene of many jaws dropping as the 'hunk of junk' flew past the competition!

The 283 fit nicely in the 68 doghouse, but once again the lack of a stock shroud pan continued to plague me, as heat was ever a source of concern.
    I'd upgraded the radiator to a 4 core and had a traditional rear type shroud fabricated, to no avail.

That louvered pan that bolts up between the frame rails is a critical component to keeping the Early Gs cool running.

Another problem I encountered was mounting the alternator.
    Mounting it low (level with the crankshaft pulley) meant that the crank pulley had less than 25% bearing on the fanbelt, slipage and squealing was common, far more common that the billit options we have now.
    Fabricating the mounts myself, I learned that the main mounting bold had to be supported both front and rear, or it would snap, quite frequently.
    It took 3 or 4 trys before a suitable mount was created to hold the torque created by the belt/pulley.

Having the alternator mounted low also meant it collected more dust than normal.
    I replaced it once due to this too, and I stopped being so rambunctious on the back roads of the mountain town where we lived.

The 66 looked much better than tht 64.
    I'd even had it painted, but the shop didn't do the prep well enough, and the panels were full of swirl gouges from the orbital sander.
    That was about the time I had to sell out and move on.

My next project is going to be one of greater patience, and thought.
    And I won't spend all winter building a nasty little motor, only to have it last one summer because I loved trying to pop wheelies! Very Happy

Thanks for the Welcome, and I'll have pics of the new one, for sure!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Welcome to the site!!! If you want to find a early this is the place to look first. No doors are harder to find, but your van is out there and we'll find you one.
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Welcome, fellow coloradan! i am local as well as 3 or 4 other friends with early chevys and one with a dodge. please feel free to PM me or let me know if we can be of help...
    i got a '66 panel as seen in my avatar...
    james
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Hey Dave. Welcome to the site. Hopefully your next early will find you sooner than latter. Smile
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Dave WELCOME IN !!!!!!!!

PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by PolarBear2 Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:48 am

Welcome! This is a great site for early vans. Another one you might like is
    www.VCVC.com (Vintage Chevy Van Club) Good luck with your search.
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:46 am

Welcome and good luck with the search. Vans for sale get posted here regularly.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:00 am

welcome, when you get your van post the pics please!!
    malle
    malle

Number of posts : 113
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by malle Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Welcome Dave!!

Post by Guest Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:26 am

Smile Thank you! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm