VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

EFI conversion

EFI conversion Empty EFI conversion

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Hello! Just bought a 63 PU with a 302 and I was wondering if the 5L mustang EFI will physically fit in the engine compartment? I know there is other things to check or change to make the EFI actually operate, but will it fit? Has anyone done this before???

My first rig was a 67 Chev G90. I loved that thing... It was cool when I sold it! I have always been a vanner. I went through a 69 ford afte the 67 before I built a 77 Chev 4x4 van. Then I got a 93 conversion van with an open interior and had it for 100K. Now I have a 02 ford E350 with a 7.3 diesel. I get almost 21 MPG with cruise on and a decent load. Synthetic oils rule!

Thanks for the ramble... What a Face

EFI conversion Empty Re: EFI conversion

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 am

My thought would be it would fit in there side to side, but the height would be an issue. I just put a EFI motor in my Falcon sedan delivery and it fit just fine. I've seen 302's in these vans all day so the block itself will fit. I think the doghouse would need to be made much taller for the upper intake on the 5.0. Just my 2c's

EFI conversion Empty 5.o

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks for the info. Mine already has the 302, but I have not picked it up yet so I am just doing some prep work. I know the 5.0 EFI motors are abundant and a nice easy way to go. I never thought about the height. Ma What a Face ybe someone has done this conversion??? What a Face

Maybe this weekend I can pick it up, it is 2.5 Hrs away...
    CraigK
    CraigK

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by CraigK Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:01 am

I dont think the height will be a whole lot taller than a carb and air cleaner on top but its been a while since I played with a 5.0L EFI

EFI conversion Empty 5.o

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:07 am

I have found a few sites with a 302 conversion done. All were carb conversions though. I guess I will need to just measure one and see for sure. I believe the 64 up doghouse tops are taller so that maybe an option if necessary.

The question is the work worth it? Fule milage would seem to be worth it alone, but not sure...

What does a 6 get for milage?

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:41 am

You'll find the EFI motor to be about 4" taller than a carb with air cleaner. I put an EFI motor in an early bronco and had to put a 2" body lift to clear the upper intake. I had plenty of room before the body lift for a carb motor.
    Someone told me that the 64 doghouse might be tall enough? I have an EFI motor maybe I should just try and stuff it in and see what happens??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:22 pm