VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

200 conversion from 170

twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2013-01-02

200 conversion from 170 Empty 200 conversion from 170

Post by twinlinemoto Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:43 pm

I am trying to source a 200 locally to build slowly and eventually replace my dying 170 motor. There are two on craigslist in the seattle area, one is $300 from a fairlane, the other is $100 from a mercury zephyr. I would like to use my original bellhousing and transmission. Will I have any trouble bolting up to certain motors? Or is any ford 200 six going to be a good donor?
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

200 conversion from 170 Empty Re: 200 conversion from 170

Post by Barnabas Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Be sure to get one with five freeze plugs on the side of the block.

Read about the different versions here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Straight-6_engine
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Stay away from the later 200's. They use a different oil pan and pickup that will not interchange with the one from the Econoline. Although the pan and pickup tube will bolt on the block the dipstick hole in the block is located in the back so you won't be able to check your oil.
    Fred
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 pm

fmc56 wrote:
    Although the pan and pickup tube will bolt on the block the dipstick hole in the block is located in the back so you won't be able to check your oil.
    Fred

Oh ...  Are we supposed to check our oil? Laughing
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Barnabas wrote:
    fmc56 wrote:
    Although the pan and pickup tube will bolt on the block the dipstick hole in the block is located in the back so you won't be able to check your oil.
    Fred

Oh ...  Are we supposed to check our oil? Laughing
    It's a Ford! Just add a quart every 500 miles. Just made a trip from Ri to NJ this weekend in a freinds 65 Club Wagon. All I could smell for 4 hours was oil, antifreeze and gas. It was enough to make me forget about the great ride and handling.
    Fred
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Fred,,,, isnt there a hole in the block by the dipstick that has a freeze plug type plug in it????? I have knocked them out of the 200"s before, installed the side mount tube and dipstick in there and used the correct oil pan and pickup???
    Vic...............BTW,,, long time how are you?
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Old Skool wrote:Fred,,,, isnt there a hole in the block by the dipstick that has a freeze plug type plug in it?????  I have knocked them out of the 200"s before, installed the side mount tube and dipstick in there and used the correct oil pan and pickup???  
    Vic...............BTW,,, long time how are you?
    Vic,
    I thought there would be one but the last one I used didn't have it.
    Some one gave me the motor and all he knew was that it came out of Fairmount.

The 63 8 door is down again. Head gasket went on the way to the van nationals and I found some other issues when I pulled the head. Valves were seated too deep into the head, no hardened seats like I asked for, broken spark plug electrode smashed into the top of the #5 piston and a black stripe from top to bottom on the #4 cylinder wall probably from the end gap in the top ring. All this after a complete rebuild from a shop that has always done excellent work. They switched machine shops so I think that's where the problem is. Van will be down for 3-4 weeks which kill's the summer. Never finished the 65 pickup but should have it done in another week. Picked up a set of DCW trim and lost the passenger side pieces. Water pipe burst in the Maine house and ruined the bathroom closet. So not much has changed, doing fine. Still a month left to the summer so things could get worse.
    Fred.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Fred,,,, good to hear from you , its been a long, long time. Aside your latest issues I hope all else is okay????
    I had heard rumor that you may have had the chrome trim that I needed for my DCW,, sounds like that is not going to happen,, no worries as not pressing. SOME DAY, I will need it. In the mean time, I have two long ones but dont recall which side they are and will look this week and let you know. They are both the wrong ones for mine and you are welcome to one if you need it....
    Blast me a PM if you get the time,, good to hear you..
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:36 pm