VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+22
Big W
vanny
A100 Wrench
dodge man
SnarkyPoet
Gothboy
jkr
gary h
rebar
austinmodhouse
slowflapper
westcoastvanner
Walker
dix
G-Man
RodStRace
vanman2
Twinpilot001
born2late
Digz
itruns
supernaut
26 posters

New dude with some questions

supernaut
    supernaut

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2012-10-15

New dude with some questions - Page 4 Empty Re: New dude with some questions

Post by supernaut Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:56 pm

man, i wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but now after hearing about your situation, eff that place. the choke he put on isn't electric, it's an automatic hot air choke with the spring thing. it kicks in after the engine is up to temp and holds the butterfly open when you slow down or stop. if i had the pull knob one on the dash, i could open and close it without having to keep the dog house propped open and my hand on the carb while driving. i'm avoiding the electric choke thing until i get a 4bbl carb and manifold. i think for now, my problem is that my engine is running rich and i need to lean it out.

dumb question: do i lean out the mix by adjusting the screws in or out on the carb? clockwise or counter? it's all been trial and error, and it's run better and worse. i just need to find that sweet spot and leave it. it's loving this cold weather once it gets running. i went to a bar on the east side last weekend for a little van meet up. mostly late 70's vans. it was pretty cool

modhouse, let's get together sometime and talk
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:29 pm

For carb adjustment, after warm-up, turn screw in (clockwise) until the idle slows and starts to run rough, then back the screw out until highest idle. Then adjust idle screw to about 700-750 rpm's in neutral or a smooth idle in gear.
    BillyBlaze
    BillyBlaze

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2013-08-15

Post by BillyBlaze Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:10 pm

I dig how you painted the doghouse man that looks good specially for spray bomb hehe. The flooring really turned out nice too man. nice work
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:07 pm

van meetup sounds fun. I’ve let my projects sit far longer than I ever planned. I don’t know what’s happened to all my time.

supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:24 pm

the guy across the street from me restores boats for a living and offered to let me use his buffer and all his supplies to buff out the van.  the results were just short of miraculous.  the paint really shined up nicely.  i stripped and clear coated my front bumper as a temporary change (not shown in the photos).  i also chained my rear bumper to a friend's f350 and pulled my bumper straight.  i spent some time hammering out dents and then used a body filler to straighten it out more, then hit it with the white primer.  also, i cut off my trailer hitch seeing as i will never be towing anything with this van.  check it out:
    New dude with some questions - Page 4 Img_1615

New dude with some questions - Page 4 Img_1616

New dude with some questions - Page 4 Img_1711

well, i don't know if i ever asked anyone this, but what color is my van?!  i've looked around online and i've only seen one other pickup with this same color scheme. the best i can find is that it's "petty blue" or a certain era of chrysler's "corporate blue".  also unsure of the white, which i need to know.  i pulled off my grille this evening and blacked out everything behind it with plastidip to clean up the look from the front.  i decided to go ahead and sand down the grille and use a white primer.  i'm going to paint the grille and both bumpers in an off white that matches the rest of the white stripe around the van.  any help would be great.  thanks
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:29 pm

oh yeah, also installed a new blaupunkt stereo in the dash and a polk 6.5" speaker on each side of the shifter console. no amp or anything yet, but it sounds great. eventually, i'll put a couple of 6x9" in under the back seats and maybe an amp and a couple more small speakers behind the front seats.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:25 pm

That turned out real nice.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:54 am

Looks like you saved some money on a new paint job. looks great
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:41 am

Wow, that looks really Great! Makes a big difference! Thanks for the pics!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Post by A100 Wrench Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:52 am

Good job
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:13 am

looks like its got a super shine to it, any time you can save money its always a big plus, great job,,
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am

The blue does look like Petty blue That color was used on stock car driver Richard Petty's car's and is called Petty blue, what year is your van ????
    https://www.google.com/search?q=1969+richard+petty+car&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qcDFUonYA83NsQSzu4HgDQ&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1344&bih=678

Post by supernaut Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:05 pm

i grew up in North Carolina, so i was surrounded by Petty Blue and Carolina Blue everything as a child.  i think i still have some commemorative Richard Petty pepsi cans and bottles in a box somewhere in storage.  i joked with my wife about putting a big 43 on the side of the van as well.  

the van is a '67.  i've even decoded the vin to make sure it's a '67.  the plymouth paint sheet is the only one that shows the corporate blue chip for '68 and up, but i know things got pieced together at the factories and production had some very informal decision making practices, so i'm guessing they just had some paint that they thought would look good on a few vehicles, or it was maybe made as a special order for someone.  
    check out the '67 colors
    http://www.mopar1.us/chip/chips.html

either way, i'm really glad it happened as it is one of my favorite colors i've seen on these vans.  the white on my van looks too dark to be "Corporate White", but i don't know.  maybe the color has yellowed with age.  i did some touch up with a can of "olympic white" at one point and it's a bit too light, so maybe i can try "wimbledon white" paint.  too dark maybe?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:23 pm

those look like car colors the truck colors were limited , At 1st Iwas thinking your van was repainted. But looking at your photo's it looks factory. so my guess is it may have been special order ???where was it built ?? You never knowit may have been in the Petty racing gang. But i'm thinking Petty didn't join mopar till 69 ?? but not sure of that.In 1968 the the white was called dodge truck white, code VAE1W1 THE 2 BLUE'S WERE MARLIN AND ARTIC BLUE, This is all the book has, unless you need codes

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:37 pm

look at the 68 paint colors on the bottom of 2 of them corprate blue and 69 and were spinnaker white (w1) or (2033) this color white showed up on the Pt Cruisers also if you are looking for a spray can..

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2013-08-15

Post by BillyBlaze Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Well I don't know what color it is but it looks bitchin

Smile 

Were you planing on doing anymore of dash or something the way you did the doghouse?
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:59 pm

eventually, yes. i'm gonna take all of the guages and panels off of the dash and redo the dash in a black flake, with white and light blue pinstriping accents. i'll probably rebuild the dash panels with more detailed woodworking pieces as well. probably in the next few weeks, a friend and i will redo the doghouse lid. same colors and design, but with a heavy clearcoat. there are spots that i messed up that are bothering me. it's a learning process. i like the paint projects. they're usually the cheapest visual changes i can do on the van

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 am