VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+22
Big W
vanny
A100 Wrench
dodge man
SnarkyPoet
Gothboy
jkr
gary h
rebar
austinmodhouse
slowflapper
westcoastvanner
Walker
dix
G-Man
RodStRace
vanman2
Twinpilot001
born2late
Digz
itruns
supernaut
26 posters

New dude with some questions

austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

New dude with some questions - Page 3 Empty Re: New dude with some questions

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 am

beer, I like beer. aren’t you in the 78704? I’m down that way often. I’m near, just west of mopac/zilker. I’ve seen sebadoh once, around 15 years ago at the TLA in philadelphia.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:35 pm

This business, "Pegasus," makes custom throttle cables. Most expensive is $59.49. Seem to be universal, don't see anything Dodge specific.
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection3.asp?utm_expid=10520551-7&Product=1270

supernaut
    supernaut

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2012-10-15

Post by supernaut Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:01 pm

sorry, i've been mia recently. lots of work and life stuff going on. got a healthy insurance check for the back corner, so i've got some serious projects in the works
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

New dude with some questions - Page 3 Empty Bumper

Post by gary h Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Get the bumper straightened it is a DODGE not a Chevvy! Basketball
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:16 am

this place has replacement panels . http://www.rustrepair.com/

Post by supernaut Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:23 pm

ok, i'm back. it's been a while since i've been on. so, my van was in the shop for almost a month, and cost me a whopping $3500, but the good news is it runs way worse now than before it went in. It actually almost doesn't run. They re-cored the radiator, did a tune-up w/ new plugs and wires, installed an electric choke, chased down some electrical gremlins, installed the gauges, and a few other things. it will crank and run fine for a minute, but then it slows down to a pop-pop-pop putter and the engine shakes pretty hard and sometimes just dies. it takes up to 45 minutes of idling just to get it warmed up to drive and it stalls out quite a few times before it will actually go anywhere. when it does drive, it runs pretty rough and i imagine eats lots of gas (gauge doesn't work properly). does this sound like something to anyone? maybe the timing just needs to be readjusted? can i just hit something with a hammer and say some curse words to fix it?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:45 am

For a quick check. make sure the screw holding the condenser down in the distributor isn't loose or stripped out, that is if it is still a points set up.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:39 am

Sounds like you MAY have some timing issues, but I would also (easy check) vaccuum leaks and for the length of time to warm up you may not have a thermostat installed.
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2009-12-22

Post by SnarkyPoet Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:52 am

It's possible that it's a fuel supply problem. Often, if it runs fine for a minute and then dies, it's because debris is getting sucked up into the fuel filter and starving the engine. If you haven't already, try running a line into a gas can from the pump and see if the issue resolves.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 pm

I don't know what kind of shop this is, but if you still trust them, they should back the work and make it right.
    We can all guess what's wrong, but they should fix it!
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:09 pm

I WOULD FIND A BETTER SHOP, THEY SHOULD HAVE CHECKED TO SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS AND IF THEY CANT FIND IT THERE NOT A VERY GOOD MECHANICS, I'DE GO SOMEWERE ELSE, OR TRY FINDING IT YOUR SELF THERES ENOUGH GUYS ON HERE TO HELP YOU THROUGH IT,, AND MUCH CHEAPER,,,
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:07 pm

alright, so i've had the van a little over a year.  it sat in my driveway for a while and i had no interest in it.  it's been a labor of love, to say the least.  it's also been a great learning experience in so many different disciplines of auto work!  here's a photo heavy update since the last time

crusty engine
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1110
    crusty fan and shroud
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1211
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1212

a lil bit of paint and elbow grease
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1213

installed a flowkooler water pump around this time.  also, peel n sealed the inside of the front and back of the doghouse

stripped and did a little bondo work.  i had never messed with it before.  turned out good
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1214

white paint
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1215

taping off lines
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1216

taking a stab at painting.  all rattle can.  FEEEESH SCAAAAALES!
    there's a few blemishes, but i'm going to strip it down and refinish it with a real spray set up (which i've never used).
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1217

took the mouth guard off the van to replace the bolts holding it on.  
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1310

peel n seal on the floors
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1311

painted the fan something close to the old Hemi Orange
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1410

electric fan w/ thermostatic switch (that thing sucks.  i just control it with a dash switch)
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1510

painted shroud, new hoses, fan spacer, etc.  things are coming together
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1511

i'm gonna split this post up.  more coming in the next few minutes
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:35 pm

stripped and clearcoated some of the metal floor plates for a patina'd hot rod thing.  you can't tell, but they're silver, not black
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1512

reinstalled my console, now wrapped in vinyl with the amp grillcloth face
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1513

pulled out the old, sagging chipboard headliner
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1514

cut a thin plywood headliner made from a tracing of the original
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1515

i couldn't figure out how to bend the ends to get it into the van for a dryfitting, so i ended up cutting a 2 inch strip out of each side at the curve and using masking tape to make a sort of hinge.  ghetto, but functional and hardly noticeable.  covered that thing in a black microsuede from the fabric shop that was on sale
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1516
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1517
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1518

made a couple of wood panels for the doors.  used some scrap peel n seal for some of the bigger sections of floor without ribs.  
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1519

around this time, my battery died due to sitting and i got it replaced under warranty. i wanted to get my alternator checked, so i removed it to get it tested and it pretty much crumbled in my hands, so i bought a new one and installed it. you pick your battles

installed a liquid temp gauge, since my electric one reads from 5 to 25 degrees higher than what it's actually at.  also built a kick plate to hide wiring and wrapped it in the same black vinyl as the console
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1520

and here's the big one:
    went to lowes and they had some laminate flooring marked down from $45 a box, to $5.  it was serendipitous as i was damn near broke and in a shitty mood when i ran across.  i checked to make sure it wasn't some kind of error and bought the only two matching boxes, which turned out to be a great color.  i used some scrap plywood to level out the metal floor in the back of my van to be the same height as the ribs, then installed it in an evening.  i made the trim from old 2x4's using a table saw and a belt sander.  they'll be stained and cleared at some point
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1610
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1611
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1612

i ordered some 4" convex peeps and slapped those on the other day. they work and look way better than those cheap black plastic things ever did
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1613
    New dude with some questions - Page 3 Img_1614

next step is i'm making a couple of wood/bondo plates to mount on the doors to cover those screw holes from the many mirrors that have been installed.  i'm gonna paint them blue and try to find some sort of sticker/waterslide decal, then clearcoat over it.  it will be a temporary fix until i can actually get body work done and get this beast painted.  

well, i hope you guys have enjoyed my update.  i've started a few threads looking for advice on different things, and i appreciate everyone who has corresponded with me. any input/feedback/ideas/curse words are welcome.  thanks for looking!

im planning on takin
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:10 am

That was a lot of effort and it looks Terrific! Love the DH, console and dash. ^5's
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Post by A100 Wrench Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:35 am

Great work and thanks for the pics and update.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:28 am

GREAT JOB, LOVE THE CONSOLE AND FLOORING, KEEP THE PICTURES COMMING,,
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:48 am

Vantastic! I'm really digging the DogHouse Cover and that's the best $10 floor I've ever seen! Motor and surroundings looks soooooo much better with the TLC treatment you gave it. I'd love to hear how tough it was to build the console and install that shifter. I am looking ahead to trying to do something like that in mine since it has an automatic and still uses the three on the tree shifter on the column (very clunky).

Seems you also have a second means of transportation should you break down...Skateboard! lol! 
    All kidding aside, you've done a GREAT job and should be proud of your accomplishments!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Looks awesome.cheers  Love the hardwood floor. very nice looking doghouse. Your van is coming along nicely.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:57 am

LOOKS GREAT.!!!!!.      Nice job on the doghouse and floors !!!. that center council came out really nice it gave me some ideas also. I need to get some of that peel and seal stuff... SHARP looking van you have there keep up the good work.cheers ...
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:16 am

Everythings looking great!!!
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:58 am

Looks great! What is that you stuck on the cab floor? Dynamat?
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 am

It's peel n seal. It's like dynamat, in that it's sticky, it blocks sound and heat, and it's silver. People will have all sorts of arguments about butyl vs asphalt based adhesives and the smell and effectiveness of the products, but for what it's worth, this stuff works great and costs a fraction of the price of dynamat or fatmat or raammat or any of the others.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:55 am

i'm not impressed with dynamat at all, i'm going to use fiberglass mat over top of it in the dog house, i think the dynamat is more for sound than heat,
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:51 pm

ok, back to the questions. i've been messing with the carb, trying to guess at adjusting it, and the van usually runs great after it warms up, but before it gets too hot. there's a window where this thing is awesome. when i start it up, it has a hard lopping idle unless i hold the butterfly in the carb open. it also bogs down when i'm driving it, unless i hold the butterfly open. so, i guess what i'd like to know is what am i supposed to do? it has an automatic choke, which is supposed to keep the butterfly closed until it warms up, and open up when it gets up to temp, but it would be better if i could just keep it open all the time. any thoughts?

also, i found some meguiars polishing compound that i had used for a guitar refin project. i started polishing up the front f the van last night, and it's turning out great. it still has the scratches and dents, but it's getting lots of shine back in the paint
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:03 pm

can you rig up a manual choke cable? sounds like the electric choke our friendly hotrod mechanic installed might be part of your problem. I don’t think I’ll go back to that guy. I had a similar experience, I went there and asked for him to do a few things. he did what I asked, but he never gave me a price, it ended up costing $2k! I was not happy, my wife was not happy, and I didn’t like the smirk on his face when he said “oh, it’s gonna be interesting to drive that thing home!” like I needed more excitement in my life, he should’ve warned me to have it towed.

I owe an apology to the driver I ran off the road (on 360) when I tapped the brakes and made an unintentional sharp left turn… I parked the van for a year. I’ll doing the brakes early 2014.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:37 am