VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

fixin' to vent

Exto
    Exto

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-08-01

fixin' to vent Empty fixin' to vent

Post by Exto Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:50 pm

At some point in my van's life, someone decided it would be a good idea to cut a camper vent into the roof in the back of my van. While I like having the ventilation back there, they didn't do a very good job on the install, the opening is just rough cut, and they didn't bother to do anything about the ribs running across the top. As a result, it let's in almost as much water as an open hole would. I'd like to fix the preoblem, but I'm trying to decide how. The easiest fix would be to weld in a piece of steel, but like I said, I'd like to keep the vent if possible. My second thought was to create a lip around the hole, make a hinged cover to match, and find a popout window latch to open and close it. Last option is to find a sunroof to match the front one and do a proper install. My only issue there is that the roof has a carrier rack around the back, and I'd like to keep it functional. I suppose I could swap in a piece of steel for the glass so I don't have to worry about a potential load breaking it.

Anyone have thoughts, opinions, or advice on the matter?

Oh, and I don't want to seal it up and go with popout windows, they just seem to be an invitation for break-ins around here.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

fixin' to vent Empty Re: fixin' to vent

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:33 pm

A vent surely can't be on a rib, so cut the rib back an inch or flatten it so the vent has a flat surface to seal,,,,,,welding is best but a bit o Bondo would keep the elements out,,,,,,

fixin' to vent Pa080910
    Exto
    Exto

Post by Exto Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 am

Yeah, that'd be the first thing to do once I figure out which option to go with. If I go with the fabbed steel pop out, I plan on making it span the middle rib and reach most of the way to the next two. I want to have enough of a gap between the ribs and cover that rainwater can flow between them. Definitely going to do fab and weld instead of bondo.

I'm probably going to get a small piece of steel and tack weld it into the hole until I figure out exactly what to do. A little RTV in the remaining gaps will keep the water out. That way I don't need to do a completely welded and finished panel just to cut it back out again.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:31 am

Would it be ridiculous to try mounting it from the inside while sealing it up real good? That'd solve the rib problem, and the heigth problem, though I'm not all to familiar with roof vents... -GothY-
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:43 am

if you want a vent, you could use a fantastic fan. they come in many options. you can get them with a fan complete with thermostat and rain sensor. you can even reverse the flow in/out (works well if you have two fans)

we have two in our airstream. it should seal water tight w/o welding if you use rubber butyl tape.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Fan_Tastic_Fan_p/vts-414.htm

Exto
    Exto

Post by Exto Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:24 am

Gothboy - The unit I have right now is designed to be screwed into place from the top, with a bezel snapped on the bottom to cover the screws. Doesn't work so well when you're only going through a single layer of steel. So while I might be able to make it fit, it would look like really poor work.
    Austinmodhouse - Those are slick looking fans, but they'd have the same problem as the vent in there right now, no thickness to mount to and I'd crush it the first time I put something up top. (like this little toy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVwVSrGiy_s&list=UU9e2mzVcfk4GYxfX7yLWHXA&index=6&feature=plcp) One of the reasons I bought my van is for my annual run down to OK to run vintage PWC with my buddies. The more vintage toys you bring, the better. I figure I've got the PWC, the tow vehicle, and I'm steadily working my way in the same direction.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:32 am

Perhaps consider a spacer plate under each leg of the roof rack to claerance your vents? That sounds like it might solve all your problems with any vent you choose. Not sure what your tolerances are, but perhaps a 1/4 plate? Just throwin things out there for ya. Smile -GothY-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 am