VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Do you know of any refrigerators that work/look good in the van?

MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Do you know of any refrigerators that work/look good in the van? Empty Do you know of any refrigerators that work/look good in the van?

Post by MikeShums Fri May 25, 2012 6:51 am

I've got an econoline, but figure this is a general topic. I am casually looking for a good refrigerator for the van. I would want a frig that would fit behind the driver seat, not stick it's head up so high that it is obvious through the windows when looking in the van and I guess could run on either AC or DC.

And I don't think I want it to look like I just took it out of my college dorm room (since that was 30 years ago)

Anyone have ideas?

Mike in Mass
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Do you know of any refrigerators that work/look good in the van? Empty Re: Do you know of any refrigerators that work/look good in the van?

Post by austinmodhouse Fri May 25, 2012 7:29 am

you would probably want a small dometic unit. they run on 12v,120ac or propane. if you connect it 12v to your starter battery, it’ll run it down pretty quick. but they are not cheap.

if you want it to fit your space perfectly, why not build an ice box like early travel trailers had? just insulate well and make sure it has a drain so you don’t rust up your van. then freeze a block at home to use when you want to keep some cold beverages behind you as you drive. sounds like temptation to me...
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Do you know of any refrigerators that work/look good in the van? Empty Re: Do you know of any refrigerators that work/look good in the van?

Post by sasktrini Fri May 25, 2012 11:00 am

Mike,

I just scored one of those Dometic units AMH talked about... bought a used truck camper that was rotted out, but all the appliances were perfect... scored it for $100. Was trying to sell the fridge, but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to keep it (unless I found one that was strictly 12V).

Anyway, my point is that this is a great option to get one... find someone with a throw-away camper.

If you use propane, you have to cut big ugly vents in your van and carry a tank. So just make sure you find one that runs on DC. Most likely in a truck camper, as the electrical in those are usually tied in to the truck's electrical. Good luck.

PS: It would be a good opportunity to install a battery isolator and a deep cycle battery to feed your fridge and stereo amp, maybe interior lights... to keep your starter battery from draining.

Last edited by sasktrini on Fri May 25, 2012 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Battery Isolator)
    bumpbug

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by bumpbug Fri May 25, 2012 3:39 pm

Here are two different types, expensive but low amp draw, search out the off road forums for expeditions and see the reviews of people who use these. You can run these from solar panels also to recharge batt.

http://arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/newProductAdvice/New_FridgeModels_PR_media.pdf

http://www.everythingsuv.com/engel-esuv.asp

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:19 am