VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help)

Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Empty CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help)

Post by Casimier Tue May 15, 2012 6:51 am

Need your help....

I've seen pics and I've heard mention of the chevy doghouse being used in FORD applications to get more room for header clearance at the floor for a 289 or 302 swap.

Anyone have any input on this?

Does the doghouse bulge out too wide for the ford seat bracket mounts?

The chevy base is one piece and needs to be cut from the floor..is this so?

Is there any problem with fit?..front or back with the floor rake? What needs to be done?
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Empty Re: CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help)

Post by jrinaman Tue May 15, 2012 8:12 am

the seat sits and bolts on top of doghouse where it bulges out. i beleive the are spot welded from factory but the 2 i have had were both drilled out and bolted down. the floor is flat on 3 sides and has a small hump in front for more air. you can either patch the bottom of dogbox or had hump to your floor. i have one in my shop if you need any pics or measurements. john.
    Casimier
    Casimier

CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Empty Re: CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help)

Post by Casimier Tue May 15, 2012 9:18 am

I just remember seeing the doghouse with side bulges about 6" high.
    A pic would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Tue May 15, 2012 9:45 am

not a very good pic. its what i had on computer. will get some in a day or 2.CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Junk_v21CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) More_p43
    Casimier
    Casimier

Post by Casimier Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 am

yes that's the one....what year chevy is that?
    Hey Jrinaman...check for the NE Early's Announcement.
    Jim
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Tue May 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Jim,
    If you are putting it in a pickup it won't fit without major modification. It's too long. Best way on a pickup is to use the original Ford box and weld the flared sides from the Chevy box to it. You only need to widen it from the radiator support back so you'll have to cut and shorten the Chevy sides. The inner seat support will still work but you will have to switch them from side to side to get the correct offset. Also the flared sides on a Chevy box are about 1" taller than the fenderewerll on the Econoline so if you bolt the seat to the Chevy box side it will be to high. Here's a photo of a set of Fiero seats installed in my old 65 pickup. I used the original Ford box and welded the Chevy sides to it. I cut the sides down 1" in height and only shortened them 1". After I had it all welded I felt that it would be a much cleaner look if the sides only came to the radiatior support.
    Fred
    CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) 65_pic16
    CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Widene13
    Casimier
    Casimier

Post by Casimier Tue May 15, 2012 1:58 pm

YEAH...that's what I'm talkin about!

Hey Fred
    Heads up..Northeast Gathering of Early's
    [img]CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Vintag10[/img]
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Tue May 15, 2012 3:17 pm

box is from a '68. sounds like you got a better plan anyway. will be going to nationals so cant make it to that event.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Tue May 15, 2012 8:53 pm

more pics of doghouse.CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Rear_s13CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Rear_s14CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Rear_s15CHEVY DOGHOUSE in a FORD (need your help) Rear_s16

Post by Guest Fri May 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Very nice set up there Fred

J=M BC
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Mon May 21, 2012 3:30 pm

I won't have the new pickup ready for Ford Carlisle so maybe I can make it to NJ in July, if I'm not in Maine that week. I will be going to Ford Carlisle with the 63 8 door again.
    Fred
    Casimier
    Casimier

Post by Casimier Tue May 22, 2012 6:55 am

Hey Fred
    I'm tryin to make the Carlisle Show Field for Saturday.
    I'll be trying to offset my costs by bringing my Econoline Early parts basket...
    Donn from Long Island on this site will have a vendor friend at Carlisle.
    I'll have to pay at the gate. I'd like to at least hand out the flyers for the Northeast Gathering.
    See you on the Hill!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 11:13 pm