VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Engine Swap Questions

Engine Swap Questions Empty Engine Swap Questions

Post by Guest Tue May 01, 2012 2:27 pm

The 144 in my 62 was firing on 5 cylinders so after finding a 170 with 15000 miles on it after being rebuilt I decided not to even spend the time to see why the #4 cylinder wasn't firing.

The 170 is out of a 1970 Maverick and I have a few questions about it.

I'm using the original transmission and bellhousing off the van. Looking at the two motors they have slightly different flywheels. The clutch on the new motor also seems to have been replaced recently so I was going to use that. Everything seems like it will line up just fine. Will the slight difference in flywheels matter?

I had rebuilt the Holley 1904 on my 144 before the cylinder quit. I know this carb will bolt on, but will I have enough fuel for the 170?

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to follow. I'm learning how to do this as I go.
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Engine Swap Questions Empty Re: Engine Swap Questions

Post by Hellfish Wed May 02, 2012 7:13 am

I *think* that the flywheel is balanced to the engine, so as long as you're using the flywheel that goes to the engine & starter you're using, you should be ok. Maybe the engine mounts are different between the 62 and 70, but that should be easy to swap.

I don't know about the carb, but I would think so.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 am

Flywheels are normally balanced on their own - that way a new one will not have to be rebalanced - -therefore when bought (auto parts) they can be just installed & work correctly. Carb -?? you might look to as what carb came on the maverick & / or look to what size jets came in that specific carb -& re do your smaller carb with that size jets ?? Someone will likely here have also dont this with the carb & advise better. Happy Vannin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:50 pm