VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
wideload
Vanish
Digz
66BC
8 posters

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop

66BC
    66BC

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop Empty Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop

Post by 66BC Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:02 pm

I was never really sure what to do with my roof situation. Well, I finally decided on going with what I've been wanting to do, which was might as well play with that big'O hole in the roof. I wanted a ragtop. For those of you who don't know or don't remember here's a recap. This van used to have a camper top made of aluminum. Once I took it all apart you saw it was held in place with a wooden frame. It was a wooden frame covered in aluminum that when it went down it went on top of another wooden frame that surrounded the hole of the van. It was old and deteriorating from water damage. The van was my dads back in the days and we never even opened up the top...so I never knew it could open. When I took it over I opened it and was exciting to know I had such a thing but it sure was ugly. It was very bulky and the two brake lights behind the top didn't help its appearance. Looked like ambulance lights or tow truck lights. I wanted the shape of the original van without the square top. Although I wish it was an original travel cruiser I don't believe it was. In that case I would have left it that way. I finally took it all apart and a hole was all that was left. I had many choices in mind...camper top but with a flat top that resembled the shape of the original roof, plexiglass sunview, a whole new roof, or what I really wanted a sliding type of ragtop. I had to sit on those ideas for a while and temporarily screwed in an aluminum sheet over the hole. I found a whole new roof from another first generation, cut it off and brought it into my garage, but I was hesitant to weld it on my van just yet. It was stuck in my head that I wanted to attempt the ragtop situation first. I considered the sliding ragtop website for their ragtops and even considered cutting a VW ragtop clip off and welding it on mine...but they are asking too much. But that would probably be the best bet for someone else wanting to attempt it themselves. I've never done any welding and even if I started learning I wanted someone else with experience to tackle this roof. I've researched plenty and have plenty of pictures of other conversions. Called some who have done it and $6000 for fabricating a clip and roof for a sliding ragtop was nowhere in my reality. I was recommended a bodyshop guy who does welding work from a friend and worked out a deal. We talked about a few ideas and I decided to think about it a bit but then an emergency came up and that money went away. Well time has passed and recooped some money. I finally sent it into his shop and the work has started. I was nervous at first.

This was the hole covered in aluminum sheet
    Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC00557
    66BC
    66BC

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop Empty Re: Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop

Post by 66BC Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:10 pm

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02824

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02825

Originally we were going to use 4 roof bows as the sliding bows for the ragtop
    The idea was to maintain the original shape of the roof
    Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02828
    66BC
    66BC

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop Empty Re: Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop

Post by 66BC Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02832

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02836

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02846

A new set of bows for the sliding mechanism were created. They are slimmer. The original roof bows were going to make the ragtop stick up and bow up too much. A set of 4 of the fabricated new bows are going to be used
    Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02842
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:12 pm

One of the roof bows was welded onto the cabin part to reenforce the roof there. Somone walked on the roof and made a huge dent there. I would pop the dent off from the inside but it would pop back down again. So, now I'll have lights at the cabin and for looking down at the doghouse.

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02840

Although it is at the body shop, it is only there for the roof for now. It'll be there strictly for that and I'll be taking it home once thats done. I'll have to bring it back once I can cough up more money.
    Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02847
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:10 am

I think it's a really cool idea and you have a good plan on it. Great way to work with what ya got !!

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:53 am

Good idea, that will be cool when you get it done. Good luck.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:03 am

Cant wait to see this .. when it's Done !!!!!

66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Just went in to the shop today to see an update and choose the color for the ragtop. I was debating on what shade of white I wanted the top. He kept insisisting a tan top because he has that color readily available. But I'm stuck on a classic white top. I want it to match the thin white wall tires I would be getting eventually and the turquoise with white interior to match. I was going to go with bone color but eventually decided on a more solid white color. I was able to see an update of how he is making the sliding system with the bows. It is looking pretty cool. Like I said its not the traditional wheel slider system like in VWs. On the front bow he temporarily fit a handle and mocked up where the locking mechanism will be. After going home I got worried when I kept looking at the pictures. I might have to tell him to hold on doing the other sliders like that. he has the sliding part that hugs the rail welded to the bow. When I first saw it I thought it was cool. but now I worry on removal on demand or upholstering the top. I'm going to tell him to take the weld off the bow and weld the slider to another piece to be bolted to the bow instead.

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02850-1

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02855

This is the back part of the van. This piece is where the ragtop will be tucked in where the ragtop will stay stationary.
    Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop DSC02849

Last edited by 66BC on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 am; edited 5 times in total
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:26 pm

When I look at the post, images seem to be chopped off. Is the image I posted from photobucket too large? The first picture should actually be showing the sliding mechanism part. If I got to rezise it can anyone give me advice on how to do that. Thanks.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:33 am

66BC When you post the pic's you have the option to select the size right above the host it button. Select 640 and the pic's won't be chopped off.

66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 am

just went back and resized that first picture so it should be good now. it shows what type of slider is going to be used.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 am

I think this is gonna be really cool. good call on the white instead of tan.
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Alright, what you see is just a mock up. Everything will end up being removable. I'll keep you guys updated.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:10 pm

I like the idea . I think in CA. it will work well...

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:41 pm

With all the camper vans out there that have had the roofs cut off already and the camper tops are shot this is a great idea.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Finally dealing with my no roof! Sliding Ragtop Empty Turquoise and Ivory

Post by VANagain Thu May 03, 2012 12:09 am

Fun idea! And it will be the ultimate way to cool off your van on a hot day!

I thought about doing this when I was considering buying a Sportvan with the camper top. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I too am a big fan of the turquoise and white color scheme. Remember, though, don't go with a bright white. It won't look right. You want to use Ivory. It will still look like white, just not White-Out white.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 am