VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

does 170 oil bath aircleaner come apart?

does 170 oil bath aircleaner come apart? Empty does 170 oil bath aircleaner come apart?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:22 pm

i have a 1963 oil bath air cleaner and i need to take it apart to try to fix a dent in it.
    the top comes off the base, but i want to take out the part that holds the air filter mesh
    mine wont come part, before i bend something i wanted to see if there was a trick to getting them apart
    thanks
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

does 170 oil bath aircleaner come apart? Empty Re: does 170 oil bath aircleaner come apart?

Post by Barnabas Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:32 pm

They are not designed to come apart, but here is a thread detailing how to carefully cut one open in order to use a paper element.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t24257-converting-oil-bath-air-cleaner

And if you follow those instructions exactly, it will leak oil. You might be able to learn something from that procedure that will allow you to take yours apart, and still have it hold oil when you put it back together.

does 170 oil bath aircleaner come apart? Empty Re: does 170 oil bath aircleaner come apart?

Post by Guest Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:10 pm

thanks
    that isnt what my 170 air cleaner looks like though
    mine is round and sits right over the top of the carb

but one might infer from this that the 170 doesnt come apart either, wonder if i could do this to mine and fix the dent while it is gutted?

can someone else chime in too please

thanks
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 am

I've had mine apart, but don't remember how... somehow, I think the two halves twist apart... sorry.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 am

thanks ill keep fiddeling with it then

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:02 pm