VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+27
EconoCarl
austinmodhouse
Van Halen
dix
RodStRace
toad
lectricman
Magic Bus
wylee
texasjohn
BILLS66
EconoUSAparts
Hemi A-100
crazee
benwah
Nightmoves
DanTheVanMan
Admin
wideload
savage
Digz
donivan65
Kakster
sasktrini
wacko
RipVanArkie
G-Man
31 posters

MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS

toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Empty Re: MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS

Post by toad Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:11 am

More.....

MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Empty Re: MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Hey everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates. Been slow going, this year, but I did fire up the engine on the day after Xmas. And when I say fire up, I do mean FIRE!
    About 3 minutes and 24 seconds into the run, my transmission (that I rebuilt myself) got so hot that it melted and blew out the trans cooler hose. As if that wasn't bad enough, the scalding hot ATF just happened to spray directly onto the glowing Orange headers on its way to me, my wife, and my friend. But about a thousandth of a second before it reached is, it ignited into one huge fireball! Oh, did I mention that this was in my garage? Luckily nobody was hurt and the fire extinguisher was at my feet, (just in case). I got it all on video too! I will try to post it later. Good news is the motor sounded great , but what a mess! Here is some aftermath pics. Enjoy. Crying or Very sad [img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0112[/img] Laughing [img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0114[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0115[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0116[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0117[/img]
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:06 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! sounds lime my luck. Glad your alriight
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:30 am

Glad you are all okay ,, very scary for sure ! I had a F/E handy on my first start up too,, just in case.

Post by Guest Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:45 am

LETS SEE IF THIS VIDEO WORKS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXgulm2b6zU
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:11 am

YeeeHahhh!!!
    Thanks for posting, hope it all cleans up well. That powder is caustic, get it all off ASAP!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:37 pm

glad to see no bone was hurt. im sure you will be back on the sadle soon. ( be safe)
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 pm

Also glad no one was hurt, just a small set back. Keep those pic's coming

Post by Guest Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Got the bulk of the mess cleaned up last night. It's not bad at all. I'm pulling the trans 2nite and taking it to my transmission shop that I use for my customers cars. No more trans rebuilding for me! I also finally named the truck " El Cohetero" which means fire maker in Spanish. I knew a name would come eventually! Here's some after cleanup pics.[img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0118[/img] Embarassed [img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0119[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0120[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0121[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0122[/img]
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Crazy!!
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:03 pm

Wow that cleaned up nice ! Whats the story/source on your accessory drive?
    I'm liking that. Idea

Post by Guest Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:28 pm

Digz, I found it on egay a while back. I pain $137 with shipping from this guy - thundrchicknauto@wildblue.net - I have recently seen one set that has a v-belt groove at the back for possibly power steering. Google gilmer belt drive, and see if you can find anything. Mine worked for the whole 4 minutes! Ha ha!

Post by Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:35 am

Finished the exhaust last night. I can barely lift my arms this morn. Sucks working on the ground. Should be able to "re-fire" it this afternoon if it stops raining outside. No torque converter installed this time! Just want to get the engine running then hook up the trans.[/img] [/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0114[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0115[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0116[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0117[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0118[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0119[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0120[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0121[/img]
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 am

We all have our fingers crossed for you too.

Post by Guest Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Well, fired up the engine again this afternoon, and............................It ran great! It's still loud as hell even with the mufflers on. Which is fine with me, I just like to be able to hear any engine noises if they occur. Only problem was it was running rich as hell. I'll have to put a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge on it to get accurate fuel pressure and then probably have to adjust the float level due to the angle of the engine.
    All in all it was a success! I drained the oil and it looked great with no scary metal pieces in it. Whoo! My stomach was knotted up the whole time! Next step, check everything over real good, adjust the valves and look at the valve train while I'm in there, and try to tune it............ cheers
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Yeehaaaa.. nothing to make ya sweat like a fresh engine started.!!

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Well, got a speedo out of my old junk cutlass, and melted some lexan over the original dash bezel to make a mounting plate. I then cut a hole in the middle and epoxied the speedo in place. Then painted it, made a couple of support brackets and ta-da! One custom speedo. Also made an adapter plate to mount the cutlass steering wheel. Almost done wiring the whole thing. Man, wiring sucks! Also started on the fuel tank mounting. Hopefully I will finish it this weekend along with wiring. Here's a few pics of the progress. [img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0111[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0210[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0211[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0212[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0112[/img]
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 pm

As always very nice work!!!!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:50 pm

very cool indeed! can't wait to see this in person.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:55 pm

G-Man wrote:As always very nice work!!!!
    Thanks, G-Man. I sure like your motor. Yur gonna have to hold on tight when you gas that thing!!! How close do ya think you are to driveable?
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:00 pm

I don't think you're gonna' have enough speedometer for all that motor! affraid
    Hope to see it come April.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:26 pm

I'm hoping for spring on taking it for a spin , but still a long ways to go. You look like it will be ready for paint soon. What Color will it be again

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:37 am

G-Man wrote:I'm hoping for spring on taking it for a spin , but still a long ways to go. You look like it will be ready for paint soon. What Color will it be again

Well, now I really don't know anymore. Gonna be black for a while so I can soak in the whole truck when its driveable, so I can look at it from afar, and in different back drops. Ya know, see if it looks right to me or not.
    I guess the answer is, I dont know now. Lol.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:05 am

Finally got it together enough to make it to the Roundup! What an incredible time! Also got to meet some of you guys there. Lovin life! : [img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0211[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0212[/img][img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0213[/img] Smile [img]MY 61 ECONOLINE P/U IN PROGRESS - Page 5 Imag0311[/img]
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383

Post by BILLS66 Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:41 pm

That is so cool hows it run and drive? Bill

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 pm