VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
donivan65
jrinaman
HandiVanMan
cculella
8 posters

Carburetor Idle Issues

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Carburetor Idle Issues - Page 2 Empty Re: Carburetor Idle Issues

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Ok,,,,,the points should be set correctly,,,then the vacuum advance hose disconnected (and plugged) and the RPM set to 600,,,,set timing to 8 degrees,,,,,,then the mixture adjusted so that you are in the sweet spot that turning the mixture in slows the RPM and turning it out does not raise the RPM,,,and always re adjusting the RPM to 600 if it moves up,,,,at that time connecting the vacuum hose back up should not change the RPM,,,,if it does, you have a carb problem,,,,there should ONLY be vacuum coming out of the hose at high RPM,,,,NEVER at idle,,,,and of course you top it all off by spraying some carb cleaner in and around the carb and intake manifold,,,,the engine won't speed up IF you got it all adjusted correctly and the engine will want to die if you spray down in the carburetor,,,
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:12 am

What is a hot idle compensator?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:20 am

It is a little pipe fitting that screws into the intake manifold that when the engine gets hot, it opens up and lets air into the intake manifold to raise the RPMs up to turn the fan faster and cool things down,,,,,it is just a vacuum leak,,,,,,you would hear it hissing for a few minutes after you started up a hot engine,,,,,
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Post by mikeysly Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:19 am

Maybe i need one of those. Where can one find one?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:43 am

There are probably only 20 of them in the World,,,,,,why do you think you need one? They don't do very much,,,,,
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Post by mikeysly Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:04 am

Well, you know i've had a hot soak/hard hot restart issue and every little thing i do incrementally has helped little by little so i thought maybe add this to the mix? Frankly as you know i'm a hack groping around in the dark (not a proffessional) so as always this is complete conjecture. I guess if this thing is that uncommon and not very effective it doesn't matter but if you can clarify/elaborate i would appreciate the education
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:16 pm

So you want to talk about Hot Idle Compensators,,,,,they only kick in, or should I say, open up, when the doghouse gets hot inside,,,,they knew that after you shut down a hot engine and try to restart it,,,,there is a lot of gas spilling down into the carburetor and if you got it to finally start, you need to burn that extra gas off to get the engine to run normally again,,,its only a few minute thing,,,a big hiss,,,,,like a tire going flat,,,,,,everyone notices it,,,,,,and also if you are sitting there idling in traffic, it causes the idle to speed up and turn the waterpump fan faster to cool the radiator down,,,,,but it's a total failure at that job,,,,the cooling system is a whole other problem,,,,,and the one pictured above goes into the intake manifold,,,,sometimes in a Tee with the PCV hose,,,,and this is a Carter YF thing,,,,,them there Monojets hide them behind a plate in back of the carburetor and if the O ring goes bad or someone FORGETS to put it back in, you have an internal vacuum leak and a person could spend a LONG time trying to figure out why their van won't run right,,,,,,I bet Rochester sold a lot of carburetors to people who did not figure out this problem,,,,,not all vans have them,,,,,maybe it's a California thing,,,,,

Carburetor Idle Issues - Page 2 Repai282
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Post by mikeysly Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks again Donivan! I am running a monojet and i think you may be right in that i dont think i have a hot idle compensator behind that plate and maybe it is a California thing? I'll check but you're saying it's not necessary to run well unless the specific monojet was originaaly built with one? Thanks again
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:46 pm

If you got that plate, look behind it,,,,but it does not do much,,,,it causes more problems than good,,,,like I said, the hamburger fan pretty much fixes everything,,,,,and the deal is, at the 1/2 price Pik a Part sales,,,,they are just laying on the ground since everyone takes them off to get the radiator and they cost $15,,,,,,mine is a off a Honda Civic,,,,you can't get much of a better deal than that,,,,,,the best piece you will ever add to a van,,,,,it helps the air flow and cooling system,,,it is NOT part the cooling system,,,,,,,,,,
    rgbaldwin
    rgbaldwin

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2012-07-15

Post by rgbaldwin Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Check youre external resistor on coil. I had the same problem,someone hooked up the coil hot all the time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:01 pm