VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
donivan65
jrinaman
HandiVanMan
cculella
8 posters

Carburetor Idle Issues

cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Carburetor Idle Issues Empty Carburetor Idle Issues

Post by cculella Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:01 pm

So I got to cleaning my engine a while back and ended up tearing out a bunch of parts. I cleaned, fixed and replaced most everything that I could get my hands on or wrench off. After I got everything back together, I can't seem to get my new carb to idle correctly.

The engine block number suggests that it is a 1968-70 Pontiac Firebird engine. I recently bought a Rochester Monojet #7040014 to replace my old rotten Rochester B carb. On starting up, the engine will rev all the way up and hold at close to full throttle. Nothing I can do about it, short of turning it off. After a couple starts that go straight to full throttle, it will start to calm down and idle correct for a second and then want to die. I have tried messing with the fuel mixture screw on the bottom and the bolt on the throttle linkage, but nothing really stops it from dying completely or revving up like it's possessed.

Now I'm not sure if this is the wrong carb for my engine, I just went off some basic descriptions when I bought it. There does seem to be a few extra ports on the side that faces the valve cover. Not sure if those were supposed to go somewhere else on a firebird engine that the van just doesn't need.

I have included a bunch of pictures. Some of just the carb itself and others of the carb installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Carburetor Idle Issues Szvl7o
    Carburetor Idle Issues V7utli
    Carburetor Idle Issues 2r7u7ms
    Carburetor Idle Issues 21kiemw
    Carburetor Idle Issues Rro7ja
    Carburetor Idle Issues 35bfo10
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Carburetor Idle Issues Empty Re: Carburetor Idle Issues

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:36 pm

I am not 100% sure but I think that the bore on the B carburetor is different. Make sure that you have all of your vacuum hoses hooked up and all are in good condition. If it sucks just a little air it wil not idle. I just finally fixed a similar problem on my 69 Chevy van.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:50 pm

did you plug the unused vacume ports?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:57 pm

You need to measure the bore on the bottom of the carb & make sure it's the same size vote & most defiantly plug off any of the vacuum ports that are not being used.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Look at the fast idle cam on the carb,,,,that tab should NOT be hitting it at idle when the engine is warm,,,,,when the choke plate closes, it pulls that cam up with the rod,,,,,that opens the throttle plate and speeds the engine up,,,,,once the choke opens the cam falls down, away from the tab,,,then the idle RPM screw takes over and then you adjust the MIXTURE screw,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:37 pm

rod R drops down when choke is open,,,,that lowers fast idle cam C away from tab T,,,,,then it rides on idle screw S which should be set around 600 RPM,,,,,

Carburetor Idle Issues Fast_i10
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:47 pm

I plugged up the unused ports and no change. One thing that I didn't mention is that the mixture screw isn't original. The original got bent in shipping. The replacement is different by about 2mm. Not a big difference, but then again, I'm not the expert. I'll check to see if the fast idle cam is working correctly.
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:17 pm

I think I got the fast idle cam working ok. It doesn't die when I let off the gas. It does want to die once I try and get it moving.

Also on a side note, there are sparks in the exhaust smoke. But that could be from any number of things I did to the manifolds.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:45 pm

If you dont have the right needle in there, it won't adjust the mixture correctly,,,,,can you kill the engine by screwing the mixture screw all the way in? Is the accelerator pump working in that carb,,,,,a real rich mixture could cause sparks in the exhaust,,,,,is it smoking black?,,,,does the engine run better if you spray carb cleaner down into it?
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:27 pm

When its screwed all the way down the engine slowly dies. The smoke is isn't that thick and more lightly colored. Definitely not black. I'm wondering if some of the extra gasket material might be burning off. I'll try the carb cleaner and see how it works.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Whats wrong with the original needle,,,,do you still have it?
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:35 am

The original needle was bent during shipping. So much so, that it broke in half while I was unscrewing it. Below is a pic of the two screws. The bent/original one is on the left.
    Carburetor Idle Issues Da3a

The guy I bought it from sent me a replacement that isn't exactly the same but very close.

I am going to put the old Rochester B on soon to measure the throat and just to see if any of the other modifications I did are causing the problems.

Did some quick research on my monojet. I saw somewhere that is is originally for a auto transmission, mine is manual. Does this make a difference?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:06 am

Take old needle- cut in 1/2 where break is - (making it shorter) then saw a small slot in the end for a small screwdriver to fit in. Reinstall it-try that.see if that fixes your problem??
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:49 am

The idle screw might be your problem. It is a lot different than the replacement screw that the seller sent you. There are a couple of used Rochester 7040014 carbs on eBay that you can buy to get the right idle mixture screw out of if it turns out to be your problem. I think that the cheapest one is $29.99 with free shipping. Here's a link for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Pontiac-Checker-Buick-6cyl-250-Carburetor-Core-/350530741255?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519d42a407&vxp=mtr#ht_902wt_689
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:00 pm

I actually did take the broken piece, cut the notch in it and try it out. But that was before I capped off the ports on the front side. I'll try it again now.

What model/numbers of Monojet are you guys running on your 1st and 2nd gen L6 motors? I'm questioning whether or not I got the correct carb.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:16 pm

cculella, I have a box full of Monojets if you need spares...

Dan

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Carburetor Idle Issues Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 pm

I am running model number 7029007 on my 69 Chevy van. It is the one that came from the factory on it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Unplug the vacuum hose going to the vacuum advance and see if anything changes,,,there should be no vacuum in that hose at idle,,,,,
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Donivan - When I first started trying to diagnose I did try the vacuum hose on all the ports. It died on anything that wasn't the base port. I will have more time tomorrow to do some more diagnosing.

Dan - I may contact you for one of your spares. Do they still work or are they for parts only?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:43 am

cculella,
    There are complete. I bought a box of 4 a while back from a guy for $100 and have collected a few more since then. I've cleaned them up a bit and put them on the shelf. I would recommend rebuilding any carb before installing it since the kits are about $12. I do have one parts carb if that's what your looking for.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Carburetor Idle Issues Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Ok, so I messed around a bit more.

- Sprayed some carb cleaner down the throat while it was running and it revved it up and smoothed it out for a second.

- Unplugged the distributor vacuum hose while it was running and it died.

- Put in the old mixture screw/needle cut down with the notch for adjustment(this time with all ports capped). That seemed to make it run the best. I'm guessing some of my changes to the fast idle cam got rid of the high revving at the startup, then the original needle and capped ports evened out the mixture and kept it from dying. It made it around the block a couple times, so that's a good sign. I feel there is still a lot of tweaking to get it running perfect, but at least it is running now. Thanks for the help. I'm sure more questions will come up as I get into tuning it just right.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:25 pm

If you sprayed in the carb and the engine got happier,,,,,,you got too much air or not enough fuel for the engine to idle,,,,,if you disconnected the vacuum line to the distributor and the engine died, that is TOTALLY wrong,,,,,it should not matter if you unhooked the line,,,,there should be no vacuum coming out of the carb port at idle,,,,,so maybe you got the hose on the wrong port or have the idle set too high,,,,,and make sure the timing is set right with the hose off the vacuum advance,,,,,and spray the sides of the carb and the intake gasket and see if that also makes the engine happier,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Carb linkage at idle,,,,engine warmed up, choke open,,,,,screw is pushing tab away from cam,,,,,

Carburetor Idle Issues Repai248
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Don,
    You have so many pictures of parts & knowlege of our vans you should write a repair manual for us.
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Alright, got the carb linkage idle screw set to the photo above. Still no luck. Then I realized that the intake that I used had a hot idle compensator attached.
    Carburetor Idle Issues 24ecbjb

So I plugged that up, restarted the engine and now it idles without the vacuum advance attached. Doesn't run the best, but it doesn't die right off like before. So I should dial in all the settings while the vacuum isn't attached and it will run even better attached?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:41 pm