VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
kookykrispy
ditdater
6 posters

QUIETEST MUFFLER SET UP FOR 230 SIX CYLINDER

ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

QUIETEST MUFFLER SET UP FOR 230 SIX CYLINDER Empty QUIETEST MUFFLER SET UP FOR 230 SIX CYLINDER

Post by ditdater Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:58 pm

NOT SURE IF ITS CAME UP LATELY , BUT JUST CHECKING IF ANYONES GOT ANY INPUT ON THIS .
    THATS A ALL STOCK 230 , NO HEADER OR ANYTHING COMPLETELY STOCK . WANDERING ABOUT THE QUIETEST SET UP .ANY BRANDS INFO ,ETC.,

--------------------
    “Be still, and know that I am God;
    PSALM 46;10
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

QUIETEST MUFFLER SET UP FOR 230 SIX CYLINDER Empty Re: QUIETEST MUFFLER SET UP FOR 230 SIX CYLINDER

Post by kookykrispy Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 am

just a stock generic muffler from a muffler shop would be the quietest.
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

QUIETEST MUFFLER SET UP FOR 230 SIX CYLINDER Empty tailpipe

Post by ditdater Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:11 pm

i/ve found a walker quiet flow 3 ,sounds like a quiet one . but i/ve noticed all stock configuration shows tailpipe exiting to the front of drivers tire. i wander if the tail pipe is extended to rear bumper would make it any quieter .

===============================
    Heaven and earth will pass away ,
    but my words will not pass away .
    Matthew 32; 35
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

QUIETEST MUFFLER SET UP FOR 230 SIX CYLINDER Empty Re: QUIETEST MUFFLER SET UP FOR 230 SIX CYLINDER

Post by kookykrispy Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:14 pm

probably would make a difference. My 66 sportvan had the tailpipe extended to exit at the rear quarter aft of the rear tire. It was quiet
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:58 pm

go out the side behind tire. if you go out the back, fumes may come in rear doors if weatherstripping isnt air tight.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:21 pm

I've done a lot of research over the past few months before deciding on a muffler. I listened online, looked at web site, and looked at a YouTube videos.

The Walker Dynomax Turbo is suppossed to be very quiet and was the way I WAS going to go. Once I listened to it, I was concerned that it would be too quiet and not aggressive enough. If you don't care about that, it seemed to be the best choice. They make a stock muffler more like what you find on cars off the factory line, but that would be a performance sucker and too quiet. Do you really want the quietest without regards to having a performance note? Perhaps a four cylinder won't make much noise regardless?

I also researched the Dyomax VT which has a valve that opens up under acceleration. It sounds nice and is suppossed to be quiet, but I read that over time the valve gets loose and rattles.

http://www.dynomax.com/soundsofdynomax.php

I considered Flowmaster but was concerned they were too loud. If you hit their site, they have them rated with sound levels. They seemed to have some good choices, but the quality compared to Magnaflow didn't seem to be as good.

I decided on Magnaflow as having the best balance for good sound and performance. They only make a straight through design, so there is no guess work. I like their approach in that they just say "hey, this is what we do, come and get it." I spoke with a tech and he said all were designed to be quiet and perform. They also make S/S mufflers and they seem to last longer than Flowmaster and have a lifetime warranty. Check out their site, it was the most helpful by far.

All the sites let you listen to the muffler sounds on various setups. YouTube has a lot of videos if you type in your engine and muffler type. It really wasn't that helpful. The muffler sites themselves were the best for me.

Again, if you want quiet, the muffler shops recommend Dynomax Turbo.

I'm just picked up my mufflers yesterday and I am hoping to be able to give up my van next week to see what a non-rusted exhaust that is tight at the manifold sounds like. It's super loud and backfires right now...I will report back as soon as it's done.

I have true dual, straight back. The Magnaflow tech advised 5x8 14" mufflers. The longer the muffler, the quieter the sound.
    http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universalmuffler.asp

One thing I was told (guys here can confirm) was that exiting behind the back tire was more labor intensive since it has to go over the axle. Everyone here agreed that out the back was a bad idea, especially if you have pop open windows because exhaust will suck right in.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t24411p15-show-me-your-tipsexhaust?highlight=show+me+your+tips
    Eric64

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2009-03-24

Post by Eric64 Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:26 pm

I have the Quiet Flow 3's on my 64 with headers and the tailpipes exit just behind the rear tires. I do have a V8 and a pair of the mufflers but nice and quiet and they are supposed to flow as well or better than the Turbo mufflers. I got mine at Rock Auto they were some sort of a warehouse return the boxes were damaged but they were $45 each and free shipping,
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:12 am

Generally, the formula is the longer and narrower the pipe the quieter the exhaust. Most stock mufflers are just a series of pipes inside the muffler thereby extending the total length of pipe. Hence a stock muffler is pretty quiet. And, I've found a resonator or two before the muffler somehow makes it a more resonate, kinder exhaust. If you're not going for performance the stuff off the shelf is all pretty good, IMHO.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm