VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
G-Man
Hellfish
RodStRace
66ThunderVan
Sy Hollinshead
HandiVanMan
score602
Vantastic
12 posters

How fast should i go??

Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

How fast should i go?? Empty How fast should i go??

Post by Vantastic Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:25 pm

WASSSUP! I was wondering what is a normal cruz'n speed for the 170 cu engine? I have the 4 speed tranny. I may be pushing it since I'm starting to blow oil out the filler. I've been pushing 65mph on the normal cruz to the beach.
    Thanks!
    score602
    score602

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2010-04-05

How fast should i go?? Empty Re: How fast should i go??

Post by score602 Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:28 pm

65 is about all I can get out of her especially if it's hilly
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:59 am

I have a 1969 Gmc Handi Van with a V8 in it & 65 -70 mph on the interstate seems to be pushing it. I would say that if you are having problems at 65 I would drive it at 55 for a while & see if it still does it.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 am

My 200 feels about right at 60mph, with 3.50 gears.
    It will go faster, i've had it up to 75mph when i was overtaking a convoy of slow-coach VW campers....! but that felt quite scary.... hehe
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:11 am

I have had cars , trucks & motorcycles that I've had well over 120 mph & got a rush out of but my old van at 75 to 80 scares me a little to. My speedo is a little off so I couldn't say it could of been a little faster than that but either way it was kinda a little scary... I don't know if it's the van or if I'm just getting older & slower...
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:17 am

My 144 used to turn the exhaust manifold cherry red on the interstate, matted. I could only get about 45 or 50 uphill and 65-70 down. Find a comfort zone and stay there. As long as your engine is in good condition it should hold up ok.
    These vans can get pretty scary in the wind, especially in a heavy crosswind. If you encounter bad conditions you might want to delay your trip or find a different route.
    score602
    score602

Post by score602 Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:34 am

66ThunderVan wrote:My 144 used to turn the exhaust manifold cherry red on the interstate, matted. I could only get about 45 or 50 uphill and 65-70 down. Find a comfort zone and stay there. As long as your engine is in good condition it should hold up ok.
    These vans can get pretty scary in the wind, especially in a heavy crosswind. If you encounter bad conditions you might want to delay your trip or find a different route.

Cooking the exhaust under heavy load is a sign of timing too retarded
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 am

The old stuff tends to be more vocal about where they are 'happy'. Listen to it, and it will tell you. Sounds like it's telling you now that you are demanding too much.
    I've had my /6 up to around 65-70, but it's not as happy there as it is at 55-60. The project will have more power and be lowered, so it will probably be happy at 65-70, depending on the gearing, but you are still driving a brick thru the air.
    Suspension, steering, brakes, drivetrain and profile (is it way up high on skinny tires?) all affect it's composure at speed.
    Then there is the spectre of those idiots in the other lane on cruise control, yacking on their cells and not paying attention to the stripes on the road while you have a single sheet of 20 gauge between you and their air bagged, crush zoned cocoon. Drive safe out there!
    score602
    score602

Post by score602 Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:43 am

RodStRace wrote:
    Then there is the spectre of those idiots in the other lane on cruise control, yacking on their cells and not paying attention to the stripes on the road while you have a single sheet of 20 gauge between you and their air bagged, crush zoned cocoon. Drive safe out there!

every time i get behind the wheel its like i have a death wish, but i just love driving it i cant help myself no matter how unsafe!
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:12 am

I used to run 70-80mph on the interstate around Chicago in my '65 170/3spd. I had 26" rear tires, so the speedo is a little off, but I was keeping up with traffic and passing cars. It was a little scary when a crosswind came up, but the van handled it fine. Since I dropped in a v8, I hit about 90 on the 1/4 mile on my 1st run. We'll see how it does this spring. Smile
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:48 am

Tires taller in size than the factory size will make your speedo read a faster speed than what you are actualy going...
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:02 pm

I think its the other way around. Bigger wheels will make the speedo under read, so you can actually be going faster than you think.....
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 pm

With my 69 have no problems going 75-80 on the expressway
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:38 pm

score602 wrote:
    66ThunderVan wrote:My 144 used to turn the exhaust manifold cherry red on the interstate, matted. I could only get about 45 or 50 uphill and 65-70 down. Find a comfort zone and stay there. As long as your engine is in good condition it should hold up ok.

Cooking the exhaust under heavy load is a sign of timing too retarded
    Good point. Back then I was still learning how to tune my junk! Now, I use a vacuum gauge so I can give the engine what it wants, not what some chart says I should give it.
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 pm

I know my speedo is off. It reads a little fast, but I travel that road all the time in various vehicles with working speedos. So, when I say I'm keeping up with traffic and passing cars, I'm doing over 70mph... close to 80 at times. Smile
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Post by Vantastic Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Well when i'm running it around 65 it sounds and runs good great as a matter of fact, but.. I started spitting oil, plus it tends to heat up. What have you guys used for a overflow for radiator fluid. The engine compartments are tight I was thinking about using the over flow off my quad, its compact. whaccha think??
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:44 am

[i]Likely due to crankcase blowby?? If not overfull with oil?? -find out & repair it.
    score602
    score602

Post by score602 Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:31 am

Vantastic wrote:Well when i'm running it around 65 it sounds and runs good great as a matter of fact, but.. I started spitting oil, plus it tends to heat up. What have you guys used for a overflow for radiator fluid. The engine compartments are tight I was thinking about using the over flow off my quad, its compact. whaccha think??

1) make sure your timing Is where it should be, I found these motors have to be almost dead on if your Gunna be pushing them.
    2) make sure your rad isn't clogged and is free flowing
    3) once I got my timing where it should be and cleaned my rad I can run with my foot to the floor all day, no spitting oil, no coolant overflow and all with my temp gauge right smack in the middle,
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:10 am

Guys, great and helpful thread. My van runs over 70 with no problem (fastest I've confirmed) and the motor feels nice and tight. The wind, as mentioned, is the dicey prospect.

My speedo is broken, but my wife found a great, free app on our Android phone that has a digital speedo. It reacts pretty quickly to gas pedal input and is a great way to test your speed. My speedo doesn't work, so it was nice to get a "feel" for how fast I am truly going.

I'll try to add the link to the app elsewhere when she arises.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:53 am

Oh you can get these little buggers up to about 85 or 90 miles an hour. Of course at that point life seems to take on less meaning and St. Peter is talking to you from the passenger seat. Top safe speed is about 65 miles per hour.

These trucks and vans were really not designed for interstate use as in 1961 there were not too many interstates completed. They were designed as some of the first urban delivery and service vehicles. They were specifically lightweight in design and fuel efficient for city driving. As a matter of fact your fuel mileage sucks above 45 mph due to the fact that aerodynamics is pretty nill. Cross winds are hell on these trucks and vans. But they are fun to drive and a blast to use.

The driving and top speed characteristics of the Dodge A100's and the Chevy/GMC G-series vans are very similar.
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Post by Vantastic Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:51 pm

score602 wrote:
    Vantastic wrote:Well when i'm running it around 65 it sounds and runs good great as a matter of fact, but.. I started spitting oil, plus it tends to heat up. What have you guys used for a overflow for radiator fluid. The engine compartments are tight I was thinking about using the over flow off my quad, its compact. whaccha think??

1) make sure your timing Is where it should be, I found these motors have to be almost dead on if your Gunna be pushing them.
    2) make sure your rad isn't clogged and is free flowing
    3) once I got my timing where it should be and cleaned my rad I can run with my foot to the floor all day, no spitting oil, no coolant overflow and all with my temp gauge right smack in the middle,
    I will check the timing for sure.. Thanks
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Post by Vantastic Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Hey thank you all for the info..I like driving it on the freeway towards da beach!!. The best part is passing my buddy in his VW Bus, that's the best!!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:55 pm

If this is happening in your van...How fast should i go?? Tumblr10...Then you need to slow down... affraid
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:29 am

Good one -Big =W!! Like that pic!! yet close to me is montana- unlimited speed on Interstares & if u get a ticket-its a 5.00 bill =payable @ the time stopped!! Love Idaho & montana=Happy im close to the idaho border!!Happy Vannin= love that pic!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:22 am