VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
wylee
BADBADGER
RodStRace
donivan65
dix
itruns
10 posters

Wiring Harness (again)

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Wiring Harness (again) Empty Wiring Harness (again)

Post by itruns Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:34 pm

I've been chasing this thing round this tree several times now and I have to pull the trigger on it. Anyone know of a decent wiring harness that's not as high as a giraffe's ____.

I almost bought a 'It's a Snap' harness for $175.00, but after Googling them, some say their quality is hit or miss and you should go with something that's better quality. (They do have cool headlight lamps though).

http://www.itsasnapwireandcable.com/

I may end up ordering this one:

http://www.kwikwire.com/wh_22Circuitstreetrodwiring.html#optiondesc

Your thoughts?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Wiring Harness (again) Empty Re: Wiring Harness (again)

Post by dix Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:38 pm

the only one that I know anyone has used is painless but it most likely cost the most. wonder where they got that name from. where is youe problem at under the dash or the engine bay. the reason i asked is a freind in cleavland took a mid 70's b200 van harness from the engine and and spliced every thing under the drivers seat.stated that most of the color codes stayed the same. he was very happy with his results...
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:05 pm

If you saw my existing wiring, you'd either laugh your ___ off or have a coronary. My splices have splices. The POs were masters of the twist and tape method. My fuse box is corroded which frustrates my turn signals. Idiot even bypassed the starter relay. How 'it runs' is a mystery. lol

Anyways, I want to strip it all down and start over. Anticipate getting a head unit, amp, electric radiator fan, 12 volt receptacles, 7 pin trailer harness, maybe an inverter, etc.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:52 pm

I understand . but can't help ya. hope someone can...
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:37 pm

No problem. Thanks for the heads up dix.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Trying to convert a big money universal car wiring harness to fit an Early Van does not sound like a good deal to me,,,,,,Vans got different circuits and things are in different places,,,,,,you just need a fusebox with more circuits and run wires to each circuit from it,,,,,what do you need? a wire to each turn signal and tail/marker light bulb,,,,one to the dome,,,1 to the fuel sender,,,,maybe 6 into the doghouse? If you do 1 wire at a time, it won't be scary,,,,and you add circuits and wiring for the new stuff while you are at it,,,,,,,,and then you know exactly what you got and how it works,,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:18 am

Yeah, the taillight and doghouse wires would be longer. I was quoted $300.00 on a modified one last year, but money got tight. My thought was that it would be nice to have the GLX color coded wires and not have to buy a bunch of spools of wire. It would also motivate me to get it installed lol.

$750.00 for a Painless harness seems a bit rich, but I can see where guys won't want to chance things on a cheap electrical job.

Gonna do some more pondering...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:08 am

The guys on the HAMB run into this all the time.
    Plenty of threads on rewiring, Rebel wire is a fav.

http://rebelwire.com/

For connectors, I like the new stuff. This is the best deal I've found for them. You can use these for sub-harnesses, like the rear harness.
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/755-piece-weather-pack-kit-p-380.html
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Wiring Harness (again) Empty Re -wireing the A100

Post by BADBADGER Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:17 am

This is a great topic and as usual full of insight and suggestions. This morning Im beginning the removal of the complete wiring harness from one of my donor vans. I too am planning on rewiring the 67 A100 currently in the body shop. So I will be checking all of the recommended sites for kits, parts etc. I'll post what I come up with, and maybe we can come up with a good, simple solution to 40 plus years old wiring.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:45 pm

i bought one of those ez anybody can doit cheap off ebay. im confused as hell. the old fuse block had only 8 fuses, the new one has 8 millon. now- the old block say as example the horn fuse has only two leads off it. the new block has 3 leads plu a wire luping bac under going to another spot in the bloc. my fear is if i hook every wire to lites, clock, ect, ect. can i trust the block? will it go up in smoke?????
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Wylee, do you have more info on the kit you bought?
    I can probably walk you through at least some of it if I know what you have.
    Most fuse blocks have a lot more curcuits than our old stuff.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 pm

The new fuse block might be for a horn relay,,,,and there might be spaces for turn signal flasher and hazard flashers,,,,maybe a spot for a headlight relay,,,,,
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:51 pm

I finished mine a couple months ago with a Ron Francis kit. If I remember correctly it was about $450, but it included a new headlight switch too. I eventually replaced the ignition switch and wiper control with RF models, so the knobs would match and make it as easy as possible.

This was my first time taking on a complete rewire, so I spent more to get a good kit that wouldn't frustrate me more than necessary. There is PLENTY of wire in this kit, so even the runs to the tail lights weren't a problem. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I might go with a less expensive kit, but I'm very happy with how it came out.

I spent a lot of time carefully thinking through how I wanted to route wires, and I'm glad I did. No real do overs, just snugged up a number of connections once I was sure everything worked. (And leave yourself more slack than you think you'll need. Mine is fine, but there were a couple where I cut it a little shorter than maybe I should, but it all worked out.)

I learned a LOT doing this project, but so glad I did. The worst part is some of my best work is where no one will ever see it. No matter - I know it's there, and done right.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Gearhead off of Ebay. Instruction book is poor quality.
    Wiring Harness (again) Imag0714

Sucker sticks up quite a bit. Didn't come with fuses or flashers.
    Wiring Harness (again) Imag0715

Wiring Harness (again) Imag0711

What about those single terminals above "Turn Signals" and "ACC"?:
    Wiring Harness (again) Imag0712

Do I worry about this?:
    Wiring Harness (again) Imag0713
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:44 pm

no i don't think so you can run your wire there for the amp, or power antenna, acc, in the back of the van
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:14 pm

See my posts on electrical harnesses??
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote: See my posts on electrical harnesses??

Yep, I saw it, but I'm going to be going way past stock on this thing. May even put the block behind the driver's seat. Probably going to be improvising a bunch as I go along. These wires have their destination hot printed into them which is what sold me on it. I'll try to take notes as to how much wire will be needed to go to each device.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:16 pm

One thing I noticed in your pictures is that the wires seem pre-attached to the fuse block. This may make it trickier to get the lengths right (mine had connecters I attached to the wires at the fuse block and, most of the time, to the other end as well).

I found it useful, after everything was in and working, to snug everything up at the fuse box by working from the gauge, light, switch, or whatever and take up the slack as I worked back to the fuse block. Then I would cut the excess and put on a new connecter at the fuse block. Perhaps those connectors just push into the fuse block, so you might want to have a supply of those connecters on hand.

I suppose you could do the same thing in reverse - just something I noticed from my experience (I'm now an "expert" you know, having done it once!).
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Here is a pic from an '86 Cutlas. Can't believe they have wires sticking out of the face of the block. That takes care of part of my head scratching. scratch

http://www.gbodyforum.com/download/file.php?id=5053&mode=view
    kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by kgdb Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:41 am

If I was going to a full kit I would with a a doubt go with a "Keep it Clean" system. These kits are very well put together, every wire is printed on to know where it goes and each bundle of wire has a connector to undo it near the fuse box, very nice systems. That said, for the econolines do we need a full kit or just a fuse box on kit, there is not much to our wiring? I would eliminate the god awful headlight switch / fuse box and switch to a normal headlight switch and use the fuse box and wiring kit only, that is what I will be doing shortly.

http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/products/wire-harness-kits/

kgdb
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by white-lightning Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Just looked at that link kgdb. For what I wanted it was $199. Not a bad price for the fuse box and wiring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:43 pm