VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Cleaning engine inside the doghouse???

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Cleaning engine inside the doghouse???  Empty Cleaning engine inside the doghouse???

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:36 pm

I am wondering the best way to clean dirt, grime & grease & oil off of my engine inside the doghouse. You can't just take a pressure washer and start spraying like in a truck since its in side. So I am seeking advice on what Chemicals to use such as engine degreaser, purple power oven cleaner or anything else .... I suppose you would just have to use a water hose on low pressure to wash it off. If anyone has used something to clean theirs and it worked good let me know. Thanks
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Cleaning engine inside the doghouse???  Empty Re: Cleaning engine inside the doghouse???

Post by G-Man Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:36 pm

I used Purple power and power washed it. I sprayed and let it soak and turned down the pressure as low as I could get it. I covered as much as I could a to keep the mess down as much as I could. Don't think just a hose would give enough pressure to get the hard spots.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Cleaning engine inside the doghouse???  Empty Re: Cleaning engine inside the doghouse???

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Oven cleaner and wiping it off with paper towels will get it cleaned up with out making a BIG MESS everywhere,,,, then you can spray Simple Green and scrub it with a toothbrush then spray it with a spray bottle of water,,,,,,and catch the drippings with a pan underneath,,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Wow Donivan65 will you clean mine? I bet your engine shines and you can eat off of it to-:(Lol) Plus looking out for the environment Man that's cool.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:26 pm

I have used oven cleaner on engines that I was degreasing when they were out of the car but never in the car. It worked good but if you leave it on to long it will eat the paint off of the block and any other thing painted. I always used it to take the engine down to the metal to paint it. I would not recommend that you use it unless you are gonna paint the engine which I intend to try to do with it still in my van. It will also mess up aluminum to if it stays on it for an extended amount of time. I am just looking for the best way to spray my engine off with out getting crap all over on my interior which I think that using a pressure washer could do.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm

I can't even think right when something is dirty,,,,,

Cleaning engine inside the doghouse???  Nodoor33

Cleaning engine inside the doghouse???  Nodoor34
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:15 pm

A pressure washer is fast. If you don't want the mess, you gotta go slow.
    Lay down a bunch of cardboard underneath. Remove and clean as many parts as you can stand. Spray the rest with a degreaser and go to it with toothbrushes. This will take many repeats. wipe stuff down with paper towels. Remove cardbaord and towels from underneath and rinse carefully.
    Reinstall parts.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:25 pm

I have all ways used tooth brushes to clean the dust and stuff out of my vents and cracks & crevasse's When detailing cars but never thought about using them to clean an engine
    It sounds pretty good. I will keep that in mind when I clean my engine. Thanks for the advice Rod.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:29 am