VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
RipVanArkie
Big W
G-Man
Nightmoves
RodStRace
Twinpilot001
savage
Digz
61econoline
Zuffen
14 posters

An Australian's Version of an Early

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

An Australian's Version of an Early - Page 2 Empty Re: An Australian's Version of an Early

Post by Digz Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:48 pm

OK what's the Moose test?
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Number of posts : 165
    Registration date : 2011-07-28

An Australian's Version of an Early - Page 2 Empty Re: An Australian's Version of an Early

Post by Zuffen Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:51 pm

The moose test is where the car is driven at about 60mph and then violently changes lanes, sort of like swerving to avoid a moose!

The test got it's name from a Mercedes A class that fell over when a motoring writer did the swerve and straighten out thing but it fell over.

Mercedes developed ESC to stop the car falling over, now almost every new car has it.

Electronic Stability Control is compulsory on all new cars in Australia. Fortunately as an ICV I don't have to have it.

Try this link to see it in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM

Last edited by Zuffen on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link)
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:56 am

LOL I see !! I had an impromptu Moose test a few years back, involved my 3/4 ton dodge and a 28ft 5th wheel camper and a full size reclining rocker sitting in the lane in front of me while doing 70mph. I made it. My bro in law was towing an 18 ft travel trailer behind me and he made it also, ,but would have liked to seen that on video. I have a suspicion my 65 wouldn't fare so well !
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Post by Zuffen Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:12 pm

I will say that is one point that appeals to me about later model suspension and brakes over owning an early.

Still love to own an A100 5 window pick-up but winding the clock back 60 years and driving it on our roads isn't all that appealing.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

An Australian's Version of an Early - Page 2 Empty Re An Australian's Version of an Early

Post by Joe Van Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:32 am

Hello I just went through the pictures of your build and read the way it was built and have to say you have done a OUT STANDING job this was a feat in it self. Fixing what was there is one thing but doing what you and your son did can only be done by a hand full of people. We here in the states don't realise how lucky we are in Florida you can put a 350 Chevy engine in a shopping cart and register it LOL. In our area there is no Inspection I know some states like NY. and PA.are strict I was a NY St inspector for 10 years and moved to Fl and been a automotive shop owner for about 30 years. I have Vanning friends in England and they have certain rules to follow too.The biggest problem with no inspection is a lot of people are driving on either bald or out dated tires the next thing is brakes. Concerting what you started out with and how it turned out I am sure any one here in the states would be proud to own that VAN.Keep up the AWESOME work and ........KEEP ON VANNING ......JOE VAN..and..CVAN....................
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Post by Zuffen Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Had an early start this morning to drag the car and trailer across the City during peak hour to be tested on the EPA's dynomometer.

Up at 6.00 for an 8.00am appointment.

The car passed the test so I'm one step closer to being allowed to drive this on the road.

My next test is an Engineer's inspection which entails having the car on a hoist for an hour whilst he tries to find things wrong with it.

Once I'm past that then it's on to road testing it at the our loacl drag strip. We use the braking area for (of all things) brake testing and lane change tests.

Hopefully within a month I could be driving this on the road. Then watch the speeding fines roll in!

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Good luck with your testing Zuffen. I'm sure once they see all the thought and well planned work you have done, They will surely pass this with flying colors.
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Post by Zuffen Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:35 pm

On Friday I dragged the car back to our Nations Capital (about 200miles away) on the trailer for more testing.

This time the testing was for noise, brakes and a general going over by the Engineer to see it meets the latest vehicle regulations.

I passed the noise test easilly enough and the braking test was 18 crash stops from 130kmh (about 70 miles per hour) with the only cool down time being to check the rotor temps. All in all we did the brake tests in well under 20 minutes.

The car stopped straight and didn't lock up any wheels. We could have locked the fronts but the aim was to see it had balanced brakes. We were seeing up to 0.90g decelaration and the Engineer was most surprised and happy with the performance.

The last brake test was to open a bleed screw on the front calipers then do a stop from about 50kmh (30mph). On this test we got the rear bakes to lock, which is what the Engineer was looking for.

This test was then repeated for the front brakes. Again it stopped well.

We found when accelaration hard (but not flat out) the engine has a great induction roar and V8 rumble. Happy man.

We then moved on to making sure everthing complied with the rules.

I didn't do so well here.

I have 4 items to sort.

1. the turn indicators must speed up when you remove one bulb. This is so you know thers's something wrong when driving it. My indicators don't speed up so I need to change the can to one that does speed up.

2. I also need side mounted turn indicators.

3. for some reason the reverse light decided to not work, but that's an easy fix.

4. my 4" Peep mirrors don't meet our design rules so I need to get bigger ones.

Once that's done I should be able to register the car.

I have GoPro footage of the brake testing and once I figure out how to edit it I'll post it up.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Wow! That's very thourough testing! Pretty much just have to put gas in it in Michigan. Lol
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Congrats Zuffen! Sounds like only minor things to fix and you'll be able to travel happily down the road. Fantastic build!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:55 am

Zuffen, sounds like quite a proud moment!
    Here's to you getting the 4 tiny things patched up and on to the road.
    I'd imagine that you have everything sorted in your head, but will mention that the old mechanical flashers over here start to act up when connected to LEDs. The very low amp flow messes with the heating of the bimetal strip.

Again I'm glad I don't have such rigorous testing here.
    What is the overall pass/fail rate for this type of thing on the initial try? I wonder if they try to nick everyone on at least a couple things to keep busy and keep the builders humble...

Zuffen
    Zuffen

Post by Zuffen Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:42 pm

There are probably 50 individually Constructed Vehicles registered each year in Australia.

The rules you need to comply with are so strict and difficult to get right that most don't even consider it. Only us Masochists do these things pale

People building ICV's have to meet a higher standard than manufacturers such as GM.

I can't run exhausts out each side of the vehicle as the Design Rules say they aren't acceptable, yet I have a photo of a Mercedes G55 with side exhausts on both sides. When I questioned this the Authorities said the Manufacturer doesn't have to comply with every rule, as long as the infringement had passed in another part of the world the Authority can accept it, but that I had to meet the letter of the Law. Talk about unfair. Evil or Very Mad

I'm not a fan of LED lights as they move away from the look I wanted (the 60's) so I'll be using filament indicators. I don't get why guys with pre49 cars (true Hot Rods) use LED lighting.

Well it's off to Pick a Part searching for the right look in turn indicators.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 am

We're all very thankful that there are "Masochists" like you out there who are willing to push the envelope and create something unique and COOOOOOOOOL! So I say once you've passed all the tests, rip the top of a Foster's and celebrate, mate!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Post by Zuffen Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Vanny,

Very few Aussies drink Fosters as it's one of our less tasty beers.

Probably why we export it so we don't have to drink it!

We have a bunch of very good beers down here so yes I will pop the top off one and enjoy the moment when it comes.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Sounds like I need to get schooled about the finer beers of Australia! This just proves that I probably watch too much television!

Good luck with the rest of the testing!!!

Zuffen
    Zuffen

Post by Zuffen Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:53 am

Today I spent a bit over 2 hours at the State's testing station having the car inspected by 2 Engineers who are employed to test new vehicles before the manufacturers are permitted to sell them.

Long story short it failed the test!

I have a short list of things to fix to keep them happy.

The problems range from a loose locknut on a shift lever to the way I have the front brake rotors attached to the hubs.

None of it is too hard to overcome (I've sorted almost half the list this afternoon) and I plan on having it back in for the next inspection late next week.

So far the car's been inspected by 2 Engineers (at my cost) and one Inspection Station and they were all happy with it. Todays inspection is pretty thorough and once I sort the problems they highlighted it should register.

They were actually really nice guys, which is a bit unusual for any State employee with the authority to put your car on or off the road.

Once I explained the reasoning behind the build, that is a yellow LRW, they could see why I did it. Up until then they were a little perplexed.

I had a laugh when leaving as they took out their phones and snapped photos to show their friends.

With luck it will get there this month.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:14 pm

it all sounds very gov't to me.
    Each inspector finds new stuff and the previous one is not held responsible for 'missing' the new items... Rolling Eyes
    Best of luck to you and I hope to see some great "On The Road" shots soon!
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Post by Zuffen Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 am

Today the State inspectors signed off on the car so now all it needs is a safety inspection as the last one expired as they only last for 42 days and I got it 48 days ago Evil or Very Mad

It should pass without any problems and have plates on t by Friday afternoon.

This will be just in time for a shakedown run on Saunday to a Rodders meet about 50 miles away.

I think I'll pack a few tools, credit card and mobile phone for the trip.

At least I don't need a carb or distributor etc. as it's fuel injected.

Its been a while coming but I found a guy the other day that took 2 years to go through the registration processand I've done it in two months so I gotta be happy.

Some road shots and perhaps a video link in the next week!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue May 14, 2013 4:52 am

Can't wait to see those pics! Congrats on getting past the red tape!!! WAHOOOOOOO!

Last edited by vanny on Wed May 15, 2013 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Tue May 14, 2013 8:48 pm

That's great news. Can't waite to see some pics of your trip. Congrats cheers
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Post by Zuffen Thu May 16, 2013 8:02 pm

An Australian's Version of an Early - Page 2 DSC_0003-2_zps86eb2ea7

Don't need to say much more.

Finally.

I wonder when the silly smile will leave my face????
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Thu May 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Sorry...but the smile is permanent Very Happy ...lol. Congratulations on your victory with the local DMV. Your truck looks and sound great. cheers
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri May 17, 2013 2:14 am

I think anyone who watches these clips and looks at the work that went into them will have the same goofy smile on their faces! Very Happy Twisted Evil What a Face

Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri May 17, 2013 5:32 pm

My hat's off to ya man ! The fit and finish on this is awsome. To Cool for words !!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri May 17, 2013 6:41 pm

How about some new pictures

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:31 am