VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

New (old) '64 Econoline and first question

New (old) '64 Econoline and first question Empty New (old) '64 Econoline and first question

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Hello All,

I'm the proud new owner of a 1964 Econoline with a 1967 Mustang/Fairlane engine. It's a funky little van, which I bought from the 2nd owner, who owned and daily drove it for 35 years!

I have kind of an odd question:

The day I bought the van, I filled up the gas tank, and the particular pump I was using was very sensitive and kept clicking off. Which led to my overfilling the gas tank, and I could see fuel dripping out from what looked like above the front of the gas tank.

Now when I fill the tank, there's a strong gas smell around the van. Is there anything I could have broken or disrupted by forcing too much fuel into the system? I've looked for a diagram of how the vent hoses, etc. are all connected, but haven't found anything that shows the whole system in detail.

I'm wondering how I should go about troubleshooting this. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much. Here's a picture of my van during my first trip down the Pacific Coast Highway in it...

http://yfrog.com/esobl1j
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12244
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

New (old) '64 Econoline and first question Empty Re: New (old) '64 Econoline and first question

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Every tank needs a vent to let the air escape as you put gas into the tank,,,,so it looks like its time for you to change the hoses on it,,,,,

New (old) '64 Econoline and first question Ford_t10
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New (old) '64 Econoline and first question Empty Re: New (old) '64 Econoline and first question

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:18 am

Welcome to VV!!!!
    Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

Post by Linoman Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:33 am

I've found that modern pumps go way to fast for our old vans. Take it slow when filling or it will click off and/or slosh out the filler neck. Double check your vent tube also, if it is pinched off you'll have trouble fueling.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:39 am

change that vent hose. Super easy to do and cheap. If you remove the iron weight above the gas tank for any reason make sure you have a extra pair of hands or a good jack. Its heavy!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:27 am

One of the rules if you get a 50 year old van is to change the rubber fuel and brake hoses as well as the metal brake lines,,,,,BEFORE they break.....

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks, everyone--this is super-helpful. To replace the rubber vent hose, do I need to special-order a part, or is that a standard size of tubing?

I didn't have a detailed diagram of this system in my copy of the shop manual, so I really appreciate your posting it, Donivan65. It looks like there's more info on the facing page; if it's not too much trouble, do you mind sharing that facing page as well?

I think the brakes are all set, but I'll check on that as well.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:49 am

I would think that it would be plain old 1/4" or 5/16" fuel hose,,,,,there should be some kind of filter or cover or they tuck it into the frame to keep the dirt and animals from getting into the tank and it will probably be above above the tank to keep fuel from running out of the tank,,,,,

New (old) '64 Econoline and first question Ford_t11
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:09 pm

I removed the old vent hose a took it to the Auto parts store. They were able to give me the size I needed. I bought 5ft and cut it to size at home.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 01, 2024 6:24 am