VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Squeaky sound?

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Squeaky sound? Empty Squeaky sound?

Post by Rayallen Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Took the van for its 1st drive with the new alternator. Did not even get a block before I really annoying squeaky sound started. Ive traced it to the alternator and have loosened the belt and it reduced the volume of the squeak but at idle you can here it. Sounds like a chirp. When at full throttle you can no longer here it over the engine noise just at idle. Is it the old belt or maybe some liquid on the pulleys. I doubt the bearings would go out on a brand new alternator with a just a drive around the block and sitting at idle.

Any help or advice would help.

Happy Vannin

Ray
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Squeaky sound? Empty squeek??

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Did u replace the belt???????????? Usually sounds like you are hearing do come from bad belt/s or a bad waterpump bearing? check that belt??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Squeaky sound? Empty Re: Squeaky sound?

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Take a spray bottle and spray some water on the belt while it is squeaking, this makes the belt slip so the noise will go away IF it is the belt,,,,,do you have the correct pulley on the alternator? does the noise go away if you unplug the regulator?
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:03 pm

I will try the water trick and see if that tells me anything. It is the Correct pulley (v belt)

If its the belt I will replace it and see if that fixes it. When the gen was on it was not squeaking but if its as simple as a cheap belt that will be great. Tackle that this weekend and see what happens.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:06 pm

I had a similar problem with a car of mine after changing to a different alternator. I thought it was just slipping, but after months of messing about with it, i discovered that the alternator pulley was ever so slightly out of line with the others, and this caused the problem. Make sure yours are perfectly in line....
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:56 am

Sy Hollinshead wrote:I had a similar problem with a car of mine after changing to a different alternator. I thought it was just slipping, but after months of messing about with it, i discovered that the alternator pulley was ever so slightly out of line with the others, and this caused the problem. Make sure yours are perfectly in line....

As far as the eye can see it is level, but I will take a closer look to be sure.

Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:08 pm