VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

The "RADIATOR REPAIRMAN" to the Rescue

The "RADIATOR REPAIRMAN" to the Rescue Empty Re: The "RADIATOR REPAIRMAN" to the Rescue

Post by Guest Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:37 am

erodstrom
    erodstrom

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2011-09-22

The "RADIATOR REPAIRMAN" to the Rescue Empty Re: The "RADIATOR REPAIRMAN" to the Rescue

Post by erodstrom Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:15 am

Great post! My radiator is being done by the local shop and with install, no thermostat or hoses they want $820. $50 less than I paid for the entire van! Wish I'd seen this earlier!

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 pm

YES,any info or resouces help....i'm about 15 miles from hesperia,ca and I may just go track Charles down,leave him my radiator and see what happens....1966 A100 3 on tree,170 slant.

The "RADIATOR REPAIRMAN" to the Rescue Empty The "RADIATOR REPAIRMAN" to the Rescue

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:46 pm

After reading posts and going on line, I knew I was going to have problems with this radiator. Once again, I'm faced with high costs and possible modifications for my 63. The thought of paying more for a radiator then what I paid for this Van, ticks me off. As usual, the internet was some help. but no exact fit. I just wanted to drop it in and go. But hearing about 65 Mustang 200 CID, Early Falcons and or the Aluminums radiators. I wanted to not spend every project MODIFIYING Parts.

I have to tell you about this experience, It was like in a movie. After going to 1-800-RADIATORS, and a local radiator shop. I gave up! The 1-800 Radiator guy told me to go to this shop, which is in an old industrial track. If you are not looking for it you'll pass it. I pull out my radiator and the guy just laugh. He said, "whats this out of, a 1963 Ford Econoline?". I said yes. He said, "I haven't seen one of these in years, (Decades)". He asked me what do I want to do? Fix it or just patch it. He look at it and said the core was not repairable. He said, "I do remember a core for a econoline around here". I thought its probably for a 1968-1975 Van.

As we work are way to the shelf, I started to think what if this is for my Van. We searched the self and working towards the end of the shelf. There it was, it almost had a halo around it. He said, "I think this a new radiator. We pulled it out of the box and it was a brand new complete radiator. OMGODDDDDD! The Econo Gods were looking down on me. I knew this would not last. I asked him how much? he said, "well its a new radiator, I don't know, how about $175.00". My wallet almost fell out of my hands. Then he said I have to charge you Tax, I said to myself, Oh well! life is a bitch! HAHAHA. (I was ready to pay a minimun of $250.00). I thank him and I left.

Finally, what this post is about. I called back and asked Charles, can he repair/rebuild any radiator if its obsolete. Or if no stock core is availible and has missing parts. He said, I would need most of the parts to figure out the dimensions of the core and where to place outlets. I said if you CANNOT do this, let me know. Because there are owners of cars and trucks from the 50's, 60's, and 70's that are having are hard time repairing or replacing radiators without modifiying them. He said if I have to make some of the parts it might be expensive. I thought if $175.00 was expensive to him, then maybe the cost might be the same as an aluminum Radiator. I do not know. That is something that you can discussed with Charles. Also the logistics he said are not a problem, if you need to ship it.
    He's Old School so I do not know if he has a web site. These old school guys can probably make a radiator out of two pieces of wood.

Charles at BROADWAY RADIATORS, Hesperia, Calif. 760-244-4822

Tell him that the guy with the Econo Radiator gave you his phone number.
    He'll probably get a laugh out of it.

E-LINER

P.S. please respond to this post even if you type in K, yes or no,or what ever. I just need to see if there is a need for a central location for parts and service, Kind of a salvage yard and parts department for 1961 -1975 Vans and trucks only. Preferably the first generation vehicle of the 1960's.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:27 am