VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

A100 gas tanks

bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

A100 gas tanks Empty A100 gas tanks

Post by bugeye bob Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:05 pm

I know this has been talked about a dozen time before but I really want a new gas tank rather than having 45 year old tank redone, 2 questions
    1. how many gallons of gas does the A100 hold , mine is a 66 model 6 cyl
    2. has anyone else compared the A100 tank to a 79-82 Dodge D50 - same as Mitsubishi Mighty Max p/u.
    The dimensions are a little off but I think it may work and it's about same price as redoing the old tank and this one is new. They have 2 trucks at my closes pull-a-part so may go look and see if I can see much difference. I've been on Ebay looking at them if anyone else is curious.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

A100 gas tanks Empty Re: A100 gas tanks

Post by RodStRace Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:27 am

I check into a catalog for gas tanks. Find out who makes new ones and see if they have a catalog that shows dimensions. That way you can compare all the new tanks to what you have and see what tanks are compatible.
    A 66 should have the single side strap, not the dual front to rear straps.
    Height and width will be most important, followed by filler location. Depth would be next along with the sending unit hole. Last would be the fuel line location.
    Expect to have to modify and/or fabricate at least the mounting and probably the sending unit hole. You may have to make a metal filler neck that matches up the body and tank, using filler hose to mate up.
    There are companies that will custom fabricate a tank, but they are expensive.
    A brand new tank is a lot easier to modify than a used one due to gas fumes. Often a good radiator shop can do this.
    Let us know what you find, lots of us could use a good replacement too!
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:42 pm

according to my owners manual (66) - 21 gallons - i think someone mentioned a jeep tank ? - oo3
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:45 pm

well if it doesn't rain, snow or the sky fall in i'm headed to pull a part tuesday to put this gas tank issue to rest , hopefully i can see and measure some of the tanks there, definately going to look at the jeep and dodge d50 and mitsub mighty might tanks, hopefully they are still attach because they don't have a listing price for them.

A100 gas tanks Empty GASTANKRENU.com

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Check out the GASTANKRENU.com website..... they can take a rusted smashed pile of junk and give you back your tank restored and coated inside (and out if ya want) in plastic. Places all over the country....
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 am

oo3 wrote:according to my owners manual (66) - 21 gallons - i think someone mentioned a jeep tank ? - oo3

my '65 holds 21/22 gallons, it's a single strap tank.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:17 am