VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Alternator

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Alternator Empty Alternator

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:59 am

Those who are running a Alt instead of the Gen what Alternator did you purchase? For what vehicle?

I was looking at this one. Any rewiring going to have to be done for this as well? I have not looked to see how the Generator is wired up.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Alternator/1965-Ford-Falcon/_/N-iyk5aZ93xme?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=alternator&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=333336_191421_4688_
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Alternator Empty Re: Alternator

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:06 am

Hi Ray -there are some postings in files here that address that conversion . Some say that a 61 amp is all ull need ?-yet others are installing some 100 amp stuff & getting them from salvage yards from fords really inexpensive - Take a look @ the forums - there are even diagrams for installations & wiring mods there .Happy Vannin[i]
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:49 am

sorry, I normally try to use the search function 1st before I ask my questions.

found this thread and it answered my question

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t21360-alternator-swap-help?highlight=alternator
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 am

I fitted an alternator on mine that i found in my garage. It is originally off an Austin Mini and only kicks out 45 amps. This is plenty enough for a basic van like ours, unless you are planning on fitting loads of extra electrical items.
    Its a 3 wire one with internal regulator, but the wiring is so simple for one of these...
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 am

Sy Hollinshead wrote:I fitted an alternator on mine that i found in my garage. It is originally off an Austin Mini and only kicks out 45 amps. This is plenty enough for a basic van like ours, unless you are planning on fitting loads of extra electrical items.
    Its a 3 wire one with internal regulator, but the wiring is so simple for one of these...

Pretty cool.

Side not I love Original Austin Minis 1960s. When you find them here in the states though people want too much for them.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 pm

I know this has been said before....but if your going to run an electric cooling fan and an electric fan on an external tranny cooler you may want to up your amps on the alternator to at least 100amp. And don't forget your tunes later on down the road while your travelling at night in the rain with the wipers on trying to light your cigarette with the dash lighter....ah hell you get the idea. Plan ahead is all I am trying to say..lol.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:21 am

I use a one wire 200 amp alternator
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:44 am

Make sense, I will look for one with 150-200 amps
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:44 am

Going to a classic car/hotrod swap meet this weekend. Hope to find some good stuff there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:50 am