VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Neutral safety switch a727

BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Neutral safety switch a727 Empty Neutral safety switch a727

Post by BADBADGER Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:54 pm

My A727 has the old style single pole NSS in the tranny. The shifter has a two wire plug / pig tail, Wires are purple and white. Cant seem to locate them on the wiring diagram and dont know how to wire the NSS. Any suggestions? Thanks
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Neutral safety switch a727 Empty Re: Neutral safety switch a727

Post by jkr Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:29 pm

the single terminal switch in the trans is for backup lamps only. the nuetral safety is on the shifter and goes to your starter relay .

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:38 pm

*EDIT* Oops, removed my bad info....

Last edited by MoparFreak69 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:56 pm

MoparFreak69 wrote:Oops, bad info....

who has the bad info, me ???
    just wondering cause thats how mine is. and was when i got it except for the splices and broken wires and the used up starter relay, and so on and so on ............

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 pm

jkr wrote:

just wondering cause thats how mine is. and was when i got it except for the splices and broken wires and the used up starter relay, and so on and so on ............

No sorry, that was an edit to remove the bad info I put in there. I realized your info was correct and mine was waaaay off. Guess I should have put edit in front of it!
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Neutral safety switch a727 Empty nss switch a727

Post by BADBADGER Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:14 am

Ok now I am totally confused! Is the switch in the tranny for the backup lights only? And does the two wires on the shifter go to the starter relay? My wiring diagram has no information on the shifter wires.
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:11 pm

The single pole switch on the tranny is the NSS. The two pole switch shown in the wiring diagram is for the manual trans back up light switch. The wiring on the shifter is for the backup lights on the auto. Look at the front section of the Loadflight trans section in the manual and it shows both. The wiring diagram does not show anything on the auto but you should be able to figure it out.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Simple test, put the trans in reverse and see if the switch on the trans is shorted to ground or if its open with no connection to ground. If its shorted to ground its for back-up lights. If its open in reverse, but shorted in park and neutral then it is a neutral safety switch.

Another way to check is the 2 wires at the shifter, if one of those is powered it is for the back-up lights, as the neutral safety switch will always operate off of ground, never positive voltage.
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 am

No test needed. I pulled the info right from the manual. Section21-33 in the 68-70 manual shows the backup switch and the NSS switch. Doesn't show anything about the auto trans in the wiring diagram however. My 67 manual is out in the hangar and it seems like I remember a supplemental diagram of the back up and NSS wiring. I'll try to remember to look at it thia afternoon. Don

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am

I just looked in the manual that Walker had posted up in another thread. On page 21-37 it shows a great big image of the Neutral Starting Switch (NSS) which is mounted on the transmission and has only 1 pin to it.
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Neutral safety switch a727 Empty A727 NSS

Post by BADBADGER Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:11 am

Finally got the thing figured out. Must be getting slow. The NSS goes to the stater relay. Engine turns over now. Got spark too.
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Neutral safety switch a727 Empty one wire neutral safety switch

Post by dodge A-108 Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:31 pm

MoparFreak69 wrote:
    jkr wrote:

No sorry, that was an edit to remove the bad info I put in there. I realized your info was correct and mine was waaaay off. Guess I should have put edit in front of it!
    on my 68, it also has the one wire neutral switch, when mine went bad I had to crawl under it to start the van. mine has a wire going from it to the starter solenoid. replaced the switch, and it works right

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:43 pm