VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

6 cyl. HEI distributor problems

Farmer
    Farmer

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2010-12-27

6 cyl. HEI distributor problems Empty 6 cyl. HEI distributor problems

Post by Farmer Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:41 am

I installed a HEI dist on my 230 6cyl engine. It's the dist with the coil built into the top. I don't know where it came from (ebay?) as it was in a box of new parts to install when I bought this van. I installed the dist, new plug wires, and new plugs all at the same time. I ran a new 12 gauge fused wire from the fuse panel for power to it.
    The engine starts and runs great with the vacuum not connected...timing is at about 8 degrees warm idle (600 RPM's). The timing advances while increasing the RPM's to a point I can no longer see it under the water pump pulley. This is with the vacuum pod on the dist plugged or not, and the vacuum hose plugged.
    When I hook up the vacuum hose to the dist the engine starts and idles fine, but give it any gas and it backfires, stumbles and dies. The timing mark is at 8 degrees at idle still, but once I give it ANY throttle it's gone. It runs as if the timing was advancing way too quick and too much. The vacuum hose has no vacuum at idle and increases with RPM's.
    The carb is a "new" remanufactured by Holley Rochestor monojet with elect choke. The engine is stock with no cam modifications.
    If I drive down the road and try and plug in the vacuum hose it sounds like I have a M60 in the back and it blows all the plugs off the carb and the hose to the PCV valve.
    Has anyone else ran into this? Anyone have some suggests to try? Am I hurting anything driving it without the vacuum hose connected?
    Matt a.k.a.Farmer

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed type-O)
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

6 cyl. HEI distributor problems Empty Re: 6 cyl. HEI distributor problems

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:41 pm

likely the springs on the mechanical advance inside the dist. are non existant or weak=try another dist like that one & see how it acts for you.pull the rotor off & have a look-see for the springs - The advance is going too far - not the vacumn advance .
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:26 pm

With the vacuum advance disconnected, the timing should be about 8 degrees at idle, then the timing should jump to about 20,,, AND,,,, come back to 8 if the centrifugal advance in the distributor is working when you speed up the engine and let it come back to idle,,,,,then if everything goes to hell when you connect the vacuum hose up you probably got one of those aftermarket Hot Rod distributors that has the adjustable advance unit on it and they got it cranked all the way up. You might be able to put a small screwdriver or allen wrench in the hole where the hose goes on it and back off the advance,,,,,or maybe get a normal advance unit and put it on. The vacuum advance should add about 12 degrees when vacuum is applied to it. The van will probably run a little slower and hotter and burn more gas if leave the vacuum advance disconnected,,,,
    Farmer
    Farmer

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2010-12-27

Post by Farmer Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:50 am

I tried to adjust the advance both ways with a 3/32 allen in the vacuum pod and it made it it worse. I have replaced the dist with one bought off ebay (Skipwhite #6523-R red cap $67.50) and now my engine runs like a top. It has never ran this good, smooth idle, crisp acceleration, no hick-ups or backfires.
    Thanks for the help Donivan!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:15 am

[i]Good Job!!=Ol Skip has some of the best priced items-I use them also & the wifee is his answer the questions girl-nice bunch!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:35 pm

No big deal now , but was wondering if you had replaced the diz cap on the other one? I had one here when putting my V8 together that would put ona really cool spark show , to look at it, it looked fine but had a alot of micro cracks in it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:32 pm

I wouldn't throw that other one away,,,,,that vacuum advance has 3 jobs to do,,,,,maybe it is set up to come full on at 1 inch of vacuum,,,,the engine ain't going to like that,,,,,maybe it has too much advance built into it,,,,,and maybe, when the chamber pulls on the breaker plate to rotate the pick up, the wires between the control unit and pick up, lose contact temporarily and that kills the engine,,,,,,so that distributor could be fixed if a person really wanted to dig into it. Maybe that connector on the control unit is loose.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 10:15 pm