I might as well take this opportunity to share my latest project while I’m at it too.
I was never too impressed with the stock dash set-up and I was trying to keep an old-skool look, so I wanted to use a cast aluminum gauge panel. The problem is that the panel is about ½” thick and if you mount it on top of the dash, it, well, looks like you just mounted it to the top of the dash. I used ½” square stock to build a “surround” for the panel and cut 16ga. flat stock for the face so that the finished product would allow the gauge panel to sit flush with the face of the dash. Had to remove a large portion of the stock dash, fit the panel, and weld it in. Also, I mig’ed the holes closed for the dash pad at the same time. I finished the panel and holes with body lead, and a thin skim coat of filler. It looks like a fairly simple project, but the length of the dash, combined with the long expanse of flat metal makes achieving a flawless finish quite involved. I have about 80 -100 hours into it so far, and it’s almost ready for paint. Every time I think I’ve nailed it, I find another imperfection that will be magnified when the color coat goes on – but I’ve convinced myself I’m getting close!