VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
DanTheVanMan
Twinpilot001
G-Man
slowrider
8 posters

v-8 in 65 van running hot

slowrider
    slowrider

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-07-15

v-8 in 65 van running hot Empty v-8 in 65 van running hot

Post by slowrider Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Hello all,newbie here. I just scored a 65 panel van.At least i think its considerd a panel although it does have glass in the rear doors.Some one droped a 350 in it with a ofenhauser manifold ,holly double pumper and headers stoping at twin cherry bombs.My understanding is they only came with 6 cyls and im asumeing it has the original radiator.My question to those who have droped a v-8 in theres is what radiator did you use? Im hopeing to find out that theres something that will drop in with out doing any butchering. Thanks, Slowrider.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

v-8 in 65 van running hot Empty Re: v-8 in 65 van running hot

Post by G-Man Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:56 pm

If it still has the 6 cyl rad. that could be the problem, but it also could be something else. Welcome to the site!!!!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:02 pm

well?/ with tye engine running- look into the radiator- see any bubbles?? if so possibly compression leaking into the cooling system?? How quickly does it overheat? is it blowing water out the overflow just ideling? whats the inside of radiator look like?? new radiator or whats installed/ have a fan shroud ? type fan / no fan?/
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:11 pm

slowrider,

First, welcome! G-Man's right, it could be the issue. The stock Rad. can't move enough volume to properly cool the 350. It works fine just idling around town if you don't get on it and the rad. is in good shape (Clean and un-blocked at all). Also if it doesn't have a shroud and has a mechanical fan it's not pulling enough air to keep it cool anyway.

I would recommend a good rad. flush and install a good "Electric" fan first. If no noticeable improvement then time for a new/ rebuilt rad. Either way the Electric fan is a good move. But try the flush and fan first. It's the cheaper way to go.

Again, welcome.
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

v-8 in 65 van running hot Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks guys. When i made an offer on the van,ididnt even know if it ran or had an engine. The weeds were half way up the van so i didnt see the pipes. It was siting at an abandoned homstead in the country with a very faded for sale sign. asking 1800 or best offer.I was suprised when the number worked and someone answerd.Still asumeing it had a non runing 6 and being the cheap skate i am i offerd 350.00 He told me 800.00 was as low as hed go and i was still thinking it didnt run and would cost me 100 bucks to have nd keeauled home offerd 500.00. Iwas told no way but asked him to keep my number and keep me in mind.3days later he called me back and said ok. First thing i did was drain the oil and flush the radiator,several times. Just tooling arond town it runs around 195degrees and just over 200 when ran hard.There seem to be good flow in the radiator after the themostat opens at 190 and no bubbles. There is no shroud and an after market 5 blade fan. i also added some royal purple coolant supliment. Im all ears, slowrider
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:53 pm

u got a deal-Horay- find a shroud for iy- the temps not that bad - a good sheet metal man can build one also. maybe a buddy? also search in the junk yards for SHROUD THAT MIGHT BE ADAPTED- make sure the fan is placed into the shroud by 1" so it will draw. The best electric fan ive seen in the forums is one from a late lincoln- again salvege or a pick & pull. There are wiring diagrams in the forums here for install on relays & such-Happy vannin
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:01 pm

How much distance is the between the Fan and Rad? Check the Thermostat and maybe the water pump is worn.

But keep in mind the 180-195 is about normal for a SBC and most of them produce the most HP right around 200 degrees. I tend to try my best to keep them under 200 as a rule but as with most Chevy's "The cooler the Better" for everyday driving! If you have 3 1/2 inches or more between the fan and rad. having no shroud may very well be your problem...

Hope this helps,
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

v-8 in 65 van running hot Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:20 pm

I am having the same issue with mine and a 250 six just had it flushed new thermostat 195 degree and new radiator cap. Drove around town and it started getting hot ... I dont have a shroud either but just lifting the engine cover (and I don't recommend this at all quite dangerous) noticeably dropped the temp from 230 to a steady 210. I do have an electric fan that has seen better days but the issue is your just circulating hot engine air. Fan shroud is a must .... http://www.classicindustries.com/ and http://www.oehq.com/ are a couple sites have some electric fan options and other things for these vans if your wanting new ... also I would recommend installing a themostat switch for the electric fan instead of a toggle so it will turn on and cool until it is no longer needed.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Welcome to the site slow rider. Like other say it could be several of many things. I'm with Dan on the electric fan thing.

show us some pictures.

Do you have a 1st or 2nd gen dog house?
    What rad do you have?

I put a second gen dog house and the 2nd gen cross f;ow 4 core V8 rad into my 65 with a tunnel and a 2 speed electric fan.
    It was the two speed toraus fan that made the biggest diffefnce in my van but that was also because I had gone over everythig else as well.

You can see some pictures here click the slide show, its best for viewing.

https://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/m1dadio/

M1D

Last edited by m1dadio on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Isnt the "shroud" on a 1st gen little more than a piece of tin to keep ya from leaning on the fan blade?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 pm

This is the V8 radiator set up on the 1967-70, 2nd Gen vans,,,,,,they have a bigger doghouse and a tunnel built out to the grille and have a crossflow radiator and a surge tank in it,,,,,,,,

v-8 in 65 van running hot Nodoor18

v-8 in 65 van running hot Crossf10
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Don always has such good photos, what an asset!

Nothing is more of a problem with all these vans then overheating, but especialy the 1st gens with V8's. I would be real carefull with the word "cheep" on this area of repair or your likely to frustrate yourself until you scream, and then have to pay for the right stuff anyway. Or sell it like the last guy did.

Those are words of experience, as a matter of fact I used several languages while fixing my cooling system. One time I used as many as three different languages in the same sentance.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:16 pm

The cooling system is the weak link and most important engine system on a van,,,,,,,,it needs to be right or you will have nothing but trouble,,,,,,,,you need to start off with a good radiator,,,,,,like take it to a radiator shop to get it flow tested and rodded out if necessary,,,,,,peak inside it and see how clean those tubes look,,,,,,,,,,

v-8 in 65 van running hot Repair87
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks for the replys and information.I was hoping to hear that the radiator out of an xyz was a direct bolt in and would cure all my problems. Looking again the fan is an aluminum 7 blade abought 4 inches from the radiator and there is no shroud. An overflow bottle is under the drivers seat. Since there is no tunnel im asumeing its a first generation doghouse.Did the first generations have a fan shroud or not till the second generation? So far ive only found one at the junk yard,a first generation.Ididnt look under the doghouse ,was just happy to get a glovebox door and door regulator.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:55 am

,,,,,,,it is kinda hard to squeeze a 2nd Gen radiator into a 1st Gen Doghouse,,,,,,,,,

v-8 in 65 van running hot Repair88
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:53 pm

some people in coole climates might get away with no tunnel to a V8 in a 1st gen dog house . But you need a very good rad. rad parimater closed in so no air goes around the rad. Mechanical fan needs to be about 2" from the rad with a shroud. Or go electric fan, especialy with no tunnel.

I think Don or somebody knows of a ford v8 rad that almost fits
    and some belly pan mods might be in order.

One thing about these vans is little to nothing out of a box fits.

M1D
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:38 am

Welcome slowrider! Congrats and good luck with the new van! Lots of nice vanners in WI! I'm from north of you, and hoping to get to the Van Nats in WI next year!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am