VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

DanTheVanMan's - Disc Brakes From OEM Parts Discussion- (Is it Possible?)

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

DanTheVanMan's - Disc Brakes From OEM Parts Discussion- (Is it Possible?) - Page 2 Empty Re: DanTheVanMan's - Disc Brakes From OEM Parts Discussion- (Is it Possible?)

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 am

OK, Sounds good.
    Anyway, I will post my findings...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

DanTheVanMan's - Disc Brakes From OEM Parts Discussion- (Is it Possible?) - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

DanTheVanMan's - Disc Brakes From OEM Parts Discussion- (Is it Possible?) - Page 2 Empty Re: DanTheVanMan's - Disc Brakes From OEM Parts Discussion- (Is it Possible?)

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:19 am

Since both Jeff and Mike asked a question on the why I am trying to find stock parts that will work when folks are making custom ones I figured I'd post it here. (Via PM)

Earlier this year I was trying to save every penny to go to NAT's and had to pass on M1D's brackets that I really wanted to save money. I've been fighting the VA (Veteran's Affairs) for 4 years and they keep screwing up my pay. So while saving (Or not spending) in efforts to make NAT's I started researching Mid 60's- mid 80's GM disc brakes (Doing research is FREE!). I've learned an unbelievable amount on GM disc brake system changes through the years.

And when NAT's came around I was informed the only time the kids could come visit for the summer started four days before NAT's. I also had my 30th class Reunion in upper Michigan a week prior to that which was optional in my eyes but would have been nice to see old friends.

So the decision was made partially by the kids schedule and the VA still screwing my pay up to stay home and enjoy having the kids. By the time this decision was made M!D had sold out on the M1DK10N brackets that I think is awesome and "REALLY" wanted.

So having the M1DK10N brackets sold out and now a little disposable cash from the trip that I didn't take to NAT's I'm still experimenting but mostly out of curiosity and the belief that there is a combination out there some place keeps me researching in my spare time (I have a lot of it!) But did tuck away a good amount for NAT's next year and for M1DK10N brackets if M1D decides to run another batch.

Dan

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

DanTheVanMan's - Disc Brakes From OEM Parts Discussion- (Is it Possible?) - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:33 am

Hey Dan I tried the 47-59 chevy brackets, they would have worked but I wound have machined the steering bracket and re drill all of the holes. But on a better note I got my thumb out of my a$$ and built a template to use 69-77 calipers on the nova rotors. I have them being laser cut as we speak, let see how these come out. Bob
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 pm

Bob,
    I'm still tinkering with it too. I've currently working with 1982-87 11" (10 3/4") Trans-Am Rear rotors since they fit over both front and rear G10 hub's without any machining and 1984 Cadillac Calipers (Front & Back) since we have space and positioning issues on the vans. These are the smaller 1979-1985 calipers... And using them in front and back buying new pads down the road will be easier to remember. (Having CRS and all) Laughing

If I measured correctly this combination will allow for the use of a straight bracket. So searching for some spare Caddy rear brackets as we speak to experiment with on the front since we know these already work on the back.

But even if it does work. If M1D does run another batch of M1DK10N brackets, I think it would be wise to stock up while he has them...

Post some pic's when you get them. Would love to see what you've come up with.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:27 pm