VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Drip edge question

jfox
    jfox

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Drip edge question Empty Drip edge question

Post by jfox Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:46 am

Hello all. So excited, just got done rebuilding my /6(fresh from the bottom up) and am getting ready for paint and body work now. Question i have is;
    What do you recommend for drip edge material replacement? Also any tips or technique is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jesse

Drip edge question Empty Re: Drip edge question

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 am

Are you talking about the actual drip edge itself or the sealant that goes in it? The drip edge itself is just formed sheet metal. If yours is rotted away then you can fairly easily make some replacements out of scrap sheet metal. About all you have to do is roll the edge up to form a lip. If you are talking about the sealer that goes in the drip rail sealing it to the body then you can get some "seam sealer" at NAPA, which is the correct way to repair the seal. If you are replacing the steel, you should pick up a tube of the seam sealer also so that you can properly seal it when you are done.
    Yes, you 'can' use RTV or some kind of silicone sealer, but it wont last as long, usually wont accept paint well, and will start to peel away in a short period of time. The seam sealer isnt expensive, is as easy as using any other method, and its seal will last decades (since that is what the factory used originally anyway).
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks, i was referring to the sealer
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by white-lightning Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:16 pm

I have been told to use a 2 part seam sealer as it won't shrink or crack. I cures chemically instead of drying. Since it doesn't shrink or crack it won't allow water to reach the metal through cracks like a one part might.
    Dragsterbus
    Dragsterbus

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2011-01-21

Post by Dragsterbus Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:01 pm

I used the stuff that bodyshops use to bond panels onto modern cars , 3m do some stuff , companies like U-pol, sikaflex,and Tiger seal all do this sort of thing and you can paint over it , wear gloves though cos it sticks like s%&t to a blanket and it'll be on your hands for weeks ,
    Good luck !
    Wayne

Oh it's s ingle stage stuff and comes in a tube ,you just put it on with a sealer gun
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:37 pm

ebay is also a good source, i bought several tube for what it cost for one at napa.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:50 am

I removed ALL the seal sealer on mine, cleaned the drip rail w/ a wire wheel.... then flowed in POR15. I did not use new seam sealer.....
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:42 pm

George wrote:I removed ALL the seal sealer on mine, cleaned the drip rail w/ a wire wheel.... then flowed in POR15. I did not use new seam sealer.....
    Great thought, thank you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm