VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
66ThunderVan
Nightmoves
G-Man
Van Halen
EconoCarl
Lyrad
EconoUSAparts
slowflapper
Big W
Twinpilot001
sasktrini
Vanadian
16 posters

How I became a Vanner...and then some.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Empty Re: How I became a Vanner...and then some.

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:13 am

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Empty Re: How I became a Vanner...and then some.

Post by Vanadian Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Last year I was asked if I would lend my 68' Van out for a photo-shoot for stock photos. It was a good day. I found them here... http://www.corbisimages.com/ImageGroup/2/1332609/42-30876199#p=1&s=50&sort=NaN[url][/url]
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 pm

I got out of the army in 1970 and used some of my GI bill to go to school. On of my dorm buddies had a ford van and it was love at first sight. I was able to find a telephone van, at auction, for $100 with 500k miles on it. I know this because it came with the maint records. It was a total pig. I started upgrading right away and within 6 months had a 289 and heavy duty drive line in her. The rest is history.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:25 am

Thats super awesome Vanadian! The pix look killer as well. Glad you had fun! -GothY-
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:33 pm

It cost me more than they paid me to get the van on the road for the shoot but I figured it was worth it as there is not enough documentation of how EPIC these earlies are. I hope these stock pix end up being used by thousands for people.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t24297-photoshoot-68-then-got-tired

Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 pm

So I enjoyed the 108 from time to time and used it for work. The 90 just sat around. It needed a lot of work. I didn't know where to start. Then the recession hit me hard in 2008 and I started to try and sell everything I had to get through it.

I listed the 90 on Kijiji for $1000 obo, a craigslistesk type of free list site up here in the cold. During that time a homeless guy came into my shop and asked me if he could have the van to sleep in. I had to think about it for a bit. I believe in paying it forward though so I told him that he could have the van on one condition. he had to remove it before i sign it over. He told me that wouldn't be an issue. He had a guy that was going to let him park it on his property and allow him access to power. Pretty cool stuff i thought. I even talked to the guy and he said he'd send a flat deck to come get the Van. After about 3 weeks, I had never heard from either one of them and some guy from the Kijiji add calls me up and offers me $400. So I took it and regretted it everyday since. Not cause I jammed on my good deed, I never heard from either of them again. So I made the right call not to hold it for charity, but cause I never anticipated what was about to come.

Still using the Kijiji I came across an add for a 1965 90 Panel. I had seen the Van years before but thought it way out of my price range. I figured, that even though I could not afford it, I should go see this little 90. I sent this guy an email, no phone # listed. It was weeks and a couple more emails. Nothing. I was perplexed. Then after a couple of months I received a reply with the guy saying that he was away and had just returned.So here are the picture form the kijiji add.

I had to go right?
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 0060i111
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 16577h11
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 88069012
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 5358m011
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 9483b811
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 63696m11
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 94384911
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 97925511
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 12643312

Now for those of you that are Soulful Vanners, I mean I know most of you that will read this are (otherwise who'd be still reading my longwinded post) DON'T GO LOOK! If you can't afford it, don't go, it's just a bad idea. We are only men, simple humans creatures. Our desires stronger that our own restraints, almost always. Your F^@$%n' right I bought it! Sick to my stomach, slightly terrified, I bought it. Didn't tell my wife or anybody! Suspect I had a sort of "come to Jesus" with myself, that this was something I'd find a way to afford. Maybe no food, or no drinking, maybe sell a few organs that I had two of. maybe I'd be broke. But broke with my very own 1965 Chevy 90, Van = Me.

So sure could have used that parts Van vs. $400 messily bones.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 am

GOOD BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers
    millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Empty Sweet!

Post by millwright71 Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 am

That is an awesome looking 65! Gives me ideas for things to put in my 66. I would have bought it in a heartbeat too!

Tom
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Post by NoBiggie Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:13 am

Sweet ride! All self-control and logical thinking go out the window when this is right in front of you! You know, kinda like it used to be with girls. Laughing
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:17 pm

NoBiggie wrote:Sweet ride! All self-control and logical thinking go out the window when this is right in front of you! You know, kinda like it used to be with girls. Laughing

Nice!
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Congrats! I'm sure you made the right call.

Lesson #1: Unless you do all the body and mechanical work yourself, the money you invest in getting a van done is probably going to more than what you purchased a 90-100% completed van for. I like one vanner's quote: "$(xx),000 is all that I'm going to admit to putting in this van."

Lesson #2: It is much easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for approval.

Lesson #3: Most of us get have more motivation to invest in and work on something that runs than something that's a seeming endless project.

Check out Dave Ramsey, live on rice and beans, you'll be fine.
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:15 pm

So after I bought the Van I found out that it had never had it's out of country inspection done. I took it to my mechanic, and with the help of the kick a$$ people on this site I was able to pull off a front disc brake conversion at the same time. These forums are Epic, it's truly a gift that we can share such impossible to learn information so easily. The effort put in is righteous.

After I got it on the road for a bit I decided I would find the guy that restored it if I could cause I had a lot of questions. Even though I didn't buy the Van directly from the states, I had the title so it was fairly easy. I went onto face book and DM him and now I am connected with him as well. One of main questions I had for him was about the paint. The builder told me he used PPG DP90 Epoxy Primer Blue to paint it. It's RAD color but if it doesn't last whatever. The interior held up like new, but the outside had faded badly and oxidized intensely.

Here is a pic I found on the net from before it was sold to me and one I took after I became owner
    BEFORE
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 46837510
    AFTER(NOW)
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 47263010

As you can see it's faded bigtime. So I did some research online and tried every over the counter product I could find from Canadian Tire(if your from the states don't ask) Then I decided to stop by a detailing shop and see what the recommended. He told me he'd Give it the once over for $650 and it would stay that way. I said I don't have $650 right now and I'd like to do it myself. He was a great guy, told me to try this.
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Calgar27
    So I bought some micro-fiber cloths, gloves and a power poisher and went to work!
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Img-2020
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Img-2021
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Img-2022
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Img-2023
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Img-2024
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Img-2025
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Img-2026
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Img-2027
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Img-2028

It turned out ok, better for sure but it was still pretty blochy and uneven. But it would do for the time being. So I drove it a few times and let the sun at er' It kinda faded again.
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. - Page 2 Mounta10
    So I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about Repainting it with an actual matte blue paint, or wrapping it in vinyl, but I think I'm going to try this 1st
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8
    This is looks like a great product. I think I can do my Van for about $600!
    It's a very little amount of money and the possabilities are endless! Also check out http://www.dipyourcar.com and check out the other youtube videos as well.

Hell maybe I'll RAT it out with matte black and white walls first lol!

I'm pretty excited to try it out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:02 am