VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
66ThunderVan
Nightmoves
G-Man
Van Halen
EconoCarl
Lyrad
EconoUSAparts
slowflapper
Big W
Twinpilot001
sasktrini
Vanadian
16 posters

How I became a Vanner...and then some.

Vanadian
    Vanadian

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

How I became a Vanner...and then some. Empty How I became a Vanner...and then some.

Post by Vanadian Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:28 pm

I was on my way home from school in the late 70's/early 80's when I kept hearing the strangest noise. La Cucaracha My friends and I decided to follow it to sse where it was coming from. We were on our pedal bikes and the closer we got to the noise the closer we got to my house. As I pulled it to the drive way there was my Dad with a big grin on his face. I said, "did you hear that trumpet noise? Who's Van is that?" Then he got in the Van pressed the Horn and it all became clear....
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 49887110
    We had had started to become Vanners! This is a pretty good replica of the Van I found in our driveway. I still have scars on the my calves from those side pipes when i stepped out of the Van at the zoo and stood against them. My Dad built a custom interior with a bar and a bus heater and a three way flip seat and a bed in the back and custom swivel passenger seat and an overhead visor console. He converted it to propane/gas Hybrid $0.11/litre if I remember correctly! When I turned sixteen the Van was mine. It handled solid , fish tailed around every bend, it was private, and abnoxious. Hockey, Parties, Skiing, Holidays, Concerts, Etc. The practical diverse convenience of this type of vehicle can not be duplicated. This taught me a very important lesson that I will never forget. NEVER LET YOUR DAUGHTER DATE A GUY WITH A VAN!No The only thing that I didn't like was the the damn La Cucaracha horn when someone would cut me off! I would be so angry laying on the horn and they would smile, laugh and wave!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

How I became a Vanner...and then some. Empty Re: How I became a Vanner...and then some.

Post by sasktrini Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:53 am

Excellent memories! My Dad's Econoline wasn't quite that cool, but I enjoyed watching him customize the interior! Great family trips in his vans!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

How I became a Vanner...and then some. Empty Re: How I became a Vanner...and then some.

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:26 am

Always wanted the same ford van -pictured- 460 / auto & loaded!! never got it! Bought my 1st chev van -86 conversion in '90-due to necessity - new baby & I needed the room - have used it towing for camping & such- still have it & i was hooked on the vans. Having 3 now & still looking for 2 more for the Hobby.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:08 am

Yup....side pipe burns...thanks, there's another week of therapy.. lol. My Mom had a 78 Chevy van with the pipes, mags, bubble windows, man that thing was a babe magnet, or at least we thought so. Borrowed that van every chance I got and cruised our main drag on the weekends. Great memories.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:10 am

When I was a small child back in the mid 70's, maybe 4 or 5 years old, the guy that lived across the street had a brown van with a gigantic mural on the side (dragons or something) that he drove every day.

Other than that Ive always had hot rods and motorcycles of one sort or another. My wife and I have had a couple different vans (78 Econoline, 97 Dodge Conversion) and now the '65. We plan on getting her a 70's custom van with AC etc after we get our new garage built.

EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:47 pm

That exact van will be at the Nats this year as it has in years past. Don Fish from Ohio has a cherry original one just like in the picture. It's called a Cruisin van and Ford made a pickup and a Pinto wagon with the same paint scheme too.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Nice ........that's what i'm talkin about. Yup, i'm on the right site. Very Happy
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:39 pm

So after some more Net-surfing I found this add with the actual style Van my Dad brought home.
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 6a010510
    ...memory complete
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:14 pm

"The Van" was mainly my winter vehicle...and would prove to not be my only one. The reason I needed a vehicle for the winter was cause my Kick Ass Dad, many year previous, had parked this "our family car" in field for me...
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. Carsta10
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. Carsta11
    My dad threw a paint job on it and it was ready for when I turned 16.
    Van winter, 65 Impala summer, Van winter, 65 Impala Summer etc. As far as Vehicles go High School was a righteous time for me.
    283, 2 speed powerglid...until the oil pump went... then 350, 350 turbo w/shift kit...until I blew a piston on the QE2..then 454, 350 turbo w/shift kit to present day...I had it painted about 10 years ago and its due for another...I have had this car for most of my life, i don't remember ever not having it...I suppose you shouldn't let your daughter date this guy either No Its got a pretty big back seat Laughing however my friends never asked to borrow the car for their dates.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:19 am

Hi Vanadian- WOW- That 65 brings a few old memories for me .I had special ordered the same car =white/red interior in 65- a supersport with 4 speed. Get this - a =409 in front!! Was a screamer and had it a few years . Thanx for sharing! Happy Vannin
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:Hi Vanadian- WOW- That 65 brings a few old memories for me .I had special ordered the same car =white/red interior in 65- a supersport with 4 speed. Get this - a =409 in front!! Was a screamer and had it a few years . Thanx for sharing! Happy Vannin

TP, that had to be quite the car for a 16 or 17 year old. You were cruisin' in style man!!!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:48 am

Yes =Thats true -Dad was always good to me . HeHe- I traded in my 1st car on that one - was a used 1962 chev Impala SS 409-4spd car-That one was really fun. Thanx
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:44 am

That's pretty cool that we both drove a 1965 Impala at 16,17 and we are 24 years apart! The 62 & 65 you had would have been Krazytown with a 409/4spd. Heres a recent pic of 454.
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. March_10
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:33 pm

The first van ride of many!!! Car seats????
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-M205fhQ1Q
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:40 pm

VH good looking kids, How they like the first ride???
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:54 pm

I used to lay down with my head hanging over the cranked open window, no seat belt, falling asleep, sucking fumes for 45 kms...ahhh so good...never done not hurt me none rabbit
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Winters after the Van...I ended up selling my Righteous Ford Van to my friend...He did what any of us would do and took a roller and a bucket of Tremclad and rolled it black and painted the accessories red. These were some of my winter cars after the Van.
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 67cutl10
    1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 330, 4 door...loved this car. We pulled it out of my buddies grandparents field. Threw a battery in her, some fuel into the carb and raced the Cordoba we went out in back to town and won the MoFo. This car had so much tremclad paint I bet it still hasn't rusted. I masked and painted the flames on whim on Wednesday night. Once the rear end blew I parked her though, I was broke, cheaper to just find another...So I thought. That picture is from a Wrecker in Bowden a few years later when I realized I hadn't ever taken a photo of her. I think I had a Chevy Citation after this...big mistake,P.O.S! Hated that car. Thankfully my friend crashed it up in Red Deer while at a College Party. To compensate me he gave me his 1978 Ford Mustang Cobra II. 302, 5 Speed. This thing would lay rubber in all 5 gears easily! But it was too far gone and So when I knew the end was near I called up my buddies and said "Lets cut the roof off the stang" Great fun if you have never tried it. All you need is grinder, hand saw, axe and a hammer...oh and a couple cases of Canadian Beer.
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 78must10 Did I mention that this car was a hatchback... uni-body...well it was and it was most definitely an afterthought! So we slammed the doors one last time, locked them and removed all the hardwear. "Poormans Welding" we called it. It shook pretty good at anything over 80KM/hr...but who cares when your driving your first convertible!
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 pm

I can't wait to be able to take my kids in Van. They love it! looks like awesome memories VH!
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:46 am

So time passes an I go through a few more winter beaters, but my soul is empty. Twisted Evil I see a 1965 GMC Shorty with an auto and its already converted to a V8. It has custom wheel fender flares made from metal and cool paint. This is pre digital camera and I forgot to take a picture of it. I take it for a mechanical inspection and they tell me it's not worth $5. I really want this Van but I'm worried that it will not be able to be road worthy and the price was too high for me to consider. FEAR and lack of know how, money and time scare me away. This is all pre internet for me and without networks like this I'd be Screw'd. A few years pass and I'm still have a jones on for a Van. The internet is now more accessible to me and I start searching the words Van 1965 etc. I have no Knowledge of what year Van seems to be calling me, but I have encountered that 65 GMC. I remember A guy in high school had a Black forward control Van, all jak'd up in the ass end, I couldn't remember what kind, but I remember how cool. I now know it was a Dodge A100 Panel shorty, still not sure of the year though. After a while I decide that I think I'll go with a chevy, most likely due to my Impala. Anyway I find one in Saskatchewan. I drive to Saskatoon in my Dodge Dakota with my dog and $1100 cash. There are so many crickets on the road I swear it looks like Dirt being churned up on the road. I must have killed thousands of these things. When I get out of my Truck to walk my Dog, there are twice as many Mosquito's as crickets and they are very aggressive for some Alberta blood! I Drive to a field, meet some old farmer, and he starts the 1966 90 Van, tells me it has no breaks, I couldn't care, I try to give him $1000, he says no, I Paid $1100 and couldn't be happier. This thing is a shell, it is so bare bones that I cant believe how simple and raw it is in this state. I ship it back to Calgary where I have big plans for this little fellow. Anything is possibleHow I became a Vanner...and then some. Twoami10
    I had just bought a moving company a few years earlier. This project would be the perfect for my Business as well."The Coolest Lil'Moving Van" Is what I think I'll put on side. I just needed some time, contacts and some money. None of which I had and owning your own business takes up a lot of time. Poor little Van sits for years as I try and figure out my Sh!t.

Oh yah, the windshield was in good condition when I bought it. I figure this was Ex-disgruntled employees. The movie Roadhouse flashes in my brain. The Part where Swayze buys that 65 Riviera and they bust it up every night and he keeps fixing it. Not ideal, but it might end up being my reality...
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:48 am

You found your Chev in Saskatoon for a grand? OMG How long ago was that? I could cry!
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 am

It was about 2000-2002. I can't remember exact.
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:35 am

So I have big plans for this Van...But like I said I just bought my own company...Time and focus were stolen and this project is stayed. FFWD a few years and I am surfing the net and find a failed auction attempt of a Vintage Van. I contact the Auction and the put me in touch with the seller. He owns a Toyota Dealership, and tell tells me that the Van is from Phoenix. A Chevy 1968 108. I really want a 90, but I better check this out. How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch12[/url]
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch13
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch14
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch15
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch17

[How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch22

[url=https://servimg.com/view/16509611/133]How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch26

How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch27
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch28
    How I became a Vanner...and then some. 1968ch29
    I am very impressed with its condition. 307, 3 in the tree. Give me the keys. I drive it and I'm sold! I'll take it! I have to do nothing to it but oil change and replace the fuel filler tube rubber. VANtastic! No through rust, great power, the roof is baked from the Arizona sun. I have big plans for this Van too. I use this Van for hauling in the summers occasionally and still have it. If you would like to buy it though Let me know? Even though I love this van I really want a shorty. I am once again a Vanner. I can roll now so I officially lose my poser title! Every time I drive her I fall more in love. These vans are great companions and travel partners.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:03 am

Vanadian,wow !look at what you've got.A completely rust free body,panels ALL straight,nose & corners dent free.That floor in rear is perfect,with mat still up front.It may not be the 90 you were lookin for,but thats a heck of a find you have.Congratulations bud !
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Post by Vanadian Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:33 am

She's a beauty for sure, I'm not complaining. I love driving her, and its great to for hauling things. It's as is and potential is outstanding.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:55 am