VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Wanna get started on the 4 by build

Pumpkin

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Wanna get started on the 4 by build Empty Wanna get started on the 4 by build

Post by Pumpkin Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:46 pm

I am hoping to find some help. I am still waiting on my brother to pic a van, but in the mean time i would like to start gathering parts. First off i need a bit of info/ measurements. What trans and transfercase are people using in these builds. Is the engine in the stock location? How long/short is the driveshaft in a short wheelbase van( will be building a 66). What is the diameter of the wheel opening? And how wide is the front axle, rear axle wheel mounting to wheel mounting? Thanks in advance.
    Pumpkin

Wanna get started on the 4 by build Empty Re: Wanna get started on the 4 by build

Post by Pumpkin Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Wow 43 look sees and still no help
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Wanna get started on the 4 by build Empty Re: Wanna get started on the 4 by build

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:14 pm

well maybe 44 ( counting me) don’t have answers. the 4x4 conversion is not exactly commonplace.

I couldn’t begin to help, not for lack of want but for lack of knowledge.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 pm

I can't help you, I've got a Dodge.
    However, it sounds like you are rushing into this.
    Half those questions can be answered by the van when it gets there.
    Also, unless you are buying brand new custom parts, you usually use the best of what's available locally.
    What engine do you want to use? That will make a difference on the rest of the parts. A 200 won't put out as much torque as a 460.
    Assume automatic, but maybe you like your 4X4s with a clutch...
    Full time 4WD or 2WD/4WD/LO4WD? Preferences in transfer cases? A slow muddy trail can use something different than a mud bogger or a rock crawler.
    What kid of hubs and axles are you considering?
    How will the steering connect? Off road you can use a full hydraulic. I wouldn't use that on the road. http://www.howeperformance.com/rockcrawling.html
    Do you want this to have the tires tucked into the wheelwells (street legal) or do you want the monster truck look? What size tires are you considering?

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:42 am

I'm not rushing into this. But if I was to know some dimensions of a stock van then I could start gathering parts that I dont already have localy. It is going to be a very capable street legal daily driver. Fi ls 5.3 460le automatic. I need dimensions to help find a transfer case that will fit and give me e reasonable driveshaft length. Width of the stock axles so I can get the diffs that are not too wide or narrow. The wheel housing opening size so I can fit the tires and pick the gear ratios, for the tire size. The more I can get done now the less rushing I have to do when I do get a van.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:52 am

Getting an axel to go under the van will be No Problem .... ( But there eiather to wide or to narrow ) ... I would go with a Chevy 1/2 ton 6 lug Dana 44 ....... a little Wide But Still Looks Good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:53 am

Whenever you are swapping out the axles and wheels/tires, the stock numbers are pretty much useless.
    The best way to fit them is to get the wheels/tires you want, then locate them under the body where you want them and they fit. That will give you the total axle width.
    As far as the driveshaft length, the sotck 2WD driveshaft is pretty short. Adding a transfer case behind the trans means that you have to get very creative in packaging it all. The transfer case also determines which front axle choices you have. Some are on the left side, some are on the right.
    Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:04 am

I am a mechanic by trade and a fabricator by hobby. I can do some pretty amazing things with a plasma cutter, mig welder , and a lathe. I am after a stock looking vehicle and have no prblem with shortening axles, if I can not find ones that fit. I may have to move the engine ahead to make room for a drive shaft. Dimensions is all I asked for, as I already have a supply of 10 bolts, dana 44's, 12 bolts, 205 t cases, and know that I can easily bolt them under the van. When I do things I like to look at it and think I didn't know the factory made these in 4X4.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Sounds Like you got it Covered !!!!!!!!!!

Wanna get started on the 4 by build Vandem10-vi

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:54 pm

That will help give me some answeres Thank You
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:17 pm

What did you have in mind for the axels ???? You want front disk Brakes .... You wont want to go any Bigger Than 1/2 Ton Gear under the van !!!!! These old vans don't lend them self's well to being converted to 4x4 Conversions !!! Look cool as hell ... But all in all ... Just good for Mud snow and sand !!!!!!

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:46 am

Probably go with 1/2 ton axles. I am leaning towards building a sub frame that will bolt into the stock frame and hold the engine trans t case front axle assy and the steering gear. The wheel base is pretty close to a jeep, so I should be able to make it have good street manners. It will be four wheel disc brakes, with hydroboost, power steering, most likely detroit locker in the back , poss front as well. once I get it to this point, I'll put some moiles on it to see if it works. weight balance looks like it could also cause some issues. I have a line on the engine and trans, and a computer reprograming system. Axles are cheap enough to get custom built ones, and I can shorten the housing to what will fit and look good. I am just hoping I can make 33" tires look like they belong under the van. The shop I work in part of my job is making hot rods and other modified vehicles run and drive like they should. It should be a bit easier starting from scratch, and not having to work around already shiny paint.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:22 pm

That Sounds Good .. I Hope you Take Lots of pictures .... and share them with us ..... There's always more than one way to skin a cat !!!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:46 am