VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Leaky Fuel Tank

Leaky Fuel Tank Empty Leaky Fuel Tank

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:50 pm

So the tank leaks, slowly, on my new van. I'm planning on pulling it off soon. My fuel guage doesn't work and I was wondering what I should do to try and remedy this and figured I should do it while I'm fixing the leak. I'm assuming theres a small rust hole on the tank, anywhere else I should check for leaks. I assume they all had the same tank but its a 62 with the 144.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Leaky Fuel Tank Empty Re: Leaky Fuel Tank

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:34 am

Have a look at this thread....

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t13940p15-1964-econoline-camper-in-the-uk

If you scroll down the page, you will see some piccies of mine. My fuel gauge didn't work, and the tank leaked. Look at the state that my fuel sender was in, you will probably find something similar....!!! Also, i find quite a few pin holes in the end, which i soldered up before sealing the tank with a proper kit....

Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Clean the outside of your tank with a wire brush to locate pin holes. If you have a lot of pin holes it would be better to replace the tank. The early Mustang tanks will work I am told with some modification. If you can salvage your tank, all the better. Eastwood has a kit for sealing it from the inside. You WILL need a new fuel pickup tube and sending unit. Mac's Antique Parts has the parts you will need for about 85.00. plus shipping.

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:57 pm

It was leaking at the sending unit. I bent the tabs on the lockring so it would be a bit tighter, which seems to have stopped the leak. Hard to tell for sure with the tank off. I added a universal sending unit to the tank as I'm going to switch out all the gauges anyway.
    Bluelemon
    Bluelemon

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Bluelemon Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:43 am

Did you change the gasket/O-ring ?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:51 pm

Bluelemon wrote:Did you change the gasket/O-ring ?

I actually didn't it was a really small leak and tightening it up seems to have solved it. The tank is now full and holding fuel just fine.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:10 pm

I had purchased a brand new sending unit for my econo. It leaked at the sender driving me crazy. I had the sender in an out four times replaced the gasket three ... still leaked ... I was fit to be tied. One day I decided to park the half filled tank on a hill ... get a flashlight and just watched the sender unit with flashlight in hand ... sure enough I found the problem ... and it wasn't the big sender to tank seal ... I saw gas following the thread on the screws on which the sender unit wire is pushed onto. Pulled the brand new sender out and realised that a critical washer was NOT placed under the head of that bolt allowing the gas to use the threads as a pathway ... as soon as I installed a rubber washer ... done deal ... no more leaking ... some times the fuzzy sock sucking "New Parts" are worse than the one you are replacing ...

J=M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 2:06 pm