VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Clutch Replacement 240/300...

PDXvanman
    PDXvanman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2010-02-13

Clutch Replacement 240/300... Empty Clutch Replacement 240/300...

Post by PDXvanman Fri May 13, 2011 4:34 am

Okay...first off, I have a few questions...but, I figure I'd make the posting title a bit generic so I can document the whole thing and keep it searcheable...

I need a new clutch assembly for my 1967...it has a 300 in place of the original 240, but the parts and procedures should be the same. I'm doing this because the van has a bad transmission...got a replacement from Mike (Vanishingbreed) and want to swap everything out in one shot.

So...the main question is: I am finding two types of clutch kits...diaphragm style pressure plates and lever style. I understand that lever style is original...but is that what I want? Is there any reason to avoid one or the other? The 300 is hot rodded and puts out gobs of torque, but I'm a fairly docile driver and have always been easy on cluthes. I'm also finding 10" (which is stock) and 11" options. Any advantages of the 11"? Any fitment issues?

Thanks in advance...I'm sure there will be more!

Ted

Clutch Replacement 240/300... Empty Re: Clutch Replacement 240/300...

Post by Guest Fri May 13, 2011 10:46 am

My 77 f-150 has a hot rod 300 with a Holley 475 4bbl and offenhauser intake with a header and I'm always pulling a 3500 pound trailer for my window washing business. Anyhow the pressure plate on my truck broke last november (manufacturer flaw) but the clutch had alot of miles on it but was still in very good shape. And as I said I'm always eithor pulling a trailer or playing off road. It has a stock type clutch. It works great for me I don't think you would need a special clutch for your van, just go stock they are plenty tough.

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:26 pm