VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

First camping trip in the econo.

First camping trip in the econo. Empty First camping trip in the econo.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:36 am

The first day I had my van registered is also the first day that we went camping Smile a friend of mine is getting married up at flathead lake in montana. Since all the recent progress on the van we were thinking about driving it up to camp there instead of get a hotel.

I had never been van camping before and I wanted to know what I was getting myself into so we spontaneously bought an air mattress, a lantern, and some hot dogs. I took out the back seat and we inflated the mattress and loaded up the van with all the blankets in our house. Packed a propane grill, water, and all that good stuff. Did i mention it was raining and hailing like crazy? I wanted a worst case scenario situation so I knew what I was getting myself into.

After we got there (we were only about 5 miles from home) it cleared up a bit and we went for a walk, but ended up staing in the van most of the time, when it got dark we hung the lantern on the middle roof sheet metal strip and it worked great. When we went to bed we were nice and warm untill I woke up around 3am and it was about 29 degrees. At that time I fired up the van and let it run for about 15 mins to let the heat radiate off of the doghouse and we got warm again. And my heater motor miraculously turned on, I could never get it to work before. despite the wind gusts up to 40mph last night it wasn't drafty at all. Despite getting a little chilly in the morning it was a great result to my experiment. Not bad for a worst case scenario! So this means I'll be on my way to Montana (455 miles) it will be good to be back home and it will be even better to be back with my big old van in tow. Anyone have and econo camping tips?

https://2img.net/h/i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/Kjacobson351/5705807d.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/Kjacobson351/c7a5278a.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/Kjacobson351/3480d515.jpg
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

First camping trip in the econo. Empty Re: First camping trip in the econo.

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:48 am

Glad you all enjoyed the trip - u'll love montana= PM me if you want some great camping places in montana areas. Idaho also up north=Happy Vannin
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:54 am

Great pic's and sounds like quite an adventure! Having a working heater is a must up north. Glad everything worked out well.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

First camping trip in the econo. Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:37 am

I actually was born and raised in Hamilton Montana in the bitterroot valley I moved in 2008 because of the economy. But I'm very familiar with the area. I've been camping all over there just never in a van. I'm a little nervous driving the van so far without getting to know it better but it has given me absolutely no trouble yet. I think my thermostat is stuck open though Is that really a problem?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:46 am

Short term, not an issue. But come summer time you'll start having some major overheating. Besides it has a purpose, not just to keep the engine cool but to keep it at it's intended operating temp.(90-120) in most cases. But it's only $5 to replace so really it's a "No brainer"..... Replace it and find something else to worry about..... Laughing

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

First camping trip in the econo. Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:12 am

Your right I'll get it changed. Do they usually open up around 90 degrees!? That seems awefull low. What temp should I pick one up at?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:57 am

You've done real well in a short period of time... looks like a fun trip! Seems like you already know how to roll in a van! Guarantee, you will never feel the same about cars or trucks... vans are the ultimate utility vehicle!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:27 pm

I tried to camp in my old vw type III don't have this one anymore) and that was awefull I didn't get an ounce of sleep. And that was in pristine conditions. I've slept in my 77 F-100 I was sore for a week. In my mustang...I've never even attempted. Your right the van is the way to go. As a pulled my mustang into the spot the van sat for a year it really had a sad look on it's face. I can't afford to drive both, and for me this is the year of the van Smile

Post by Guest Sat May 07, 2011 1:57 am

Cool pics thx for sharing made me want to go camp
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Sat May 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Man!! all I can say is that last pic makes me think you are in the middle of no-where!! lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:10 am