VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Sy Hollinshead
rhysaccess
Twinpilot001
7 posters

Kingpin questions

Kingpin questions Empty Kingpin questions

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:09 am

I did a search but came up empty. I have a new set of kingpins in the box waiting to go on my '63. Is this a project that can be done at home or do I need to pull the axle and take it to a shop? I've heard of guys doing this in their home garage, but I've never tackled this particular project myself. If anyone knows any secret tips or tricks to save me from going to a machine shop, I'd love to hear them. My kit has the bronze bushings, by the way. Thanks in advance
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Kingpin questions Empty Re: Kingpin questions

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 am

Shop = if ur not set up to do this - easier & best for most. Did the kingpin set come with a reamer? Avtually a machine shop is best- or a truck shop as those still will have the tools to do the straight front axle stuff. The stuff from JCWhitney used to have the reamers with them- yet im speaking from a time gone buy-yet never know??
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Number of posts : 103
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Post by rhysaccess Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 am

Howdy,

Did the kingpins on my '63 myself - but had an engineering shop fit the bronze bushes and do the reaming, and real happy to.

Do a search on kingpins as many of the available sets don't fit without modification.

Cheers,
    Rhys

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:47 am

thanks. That's what I figured. I'll just pull the axle and take it to a machine shop. It's my daily driver, so I've been in a bind. I can't afford to have it down very long.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:30 am

Yes - maybe there is a truck shop close?? Austin should have some Seems there were some old macjine shops around congress ave long ago?? south areas??
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:43 am

I did mine on my own, bit of a pain to do, but i managed in the end.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t13940p30-1964-econoline-camper-in-the-uk

I hate paying other people to do work on any of my cars, as they usually do a worse job than i could do myself....

Sy

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:14 am

Didn't attempt mine but the machine shop that did it said they'd never do another one! I got that comment third hand so I don't know the reasoning behind it, but apparently it wasn't too easy.
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:04 am

I do king pins all the time on Freightliners. A little bit of a pain when the pin is seized in the axle, but just take your time and ream, fit, ream, fit, then shim. Getting ready to tackle this myself on my Ford. Don't have a reamer, but those round sandpaper things with all the flaps should work. Or a cotter pin wrapped with emery cloth placed in a drill. toad
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:44 pm

The reamer i bought and used in the thread i linked to earlier was an adjustable one and only cost about $25.... Well worth it i reckon... I was really nervous about doing it, but it was a piece of cake compared to getting the old kingpins out....!!!!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Unless your axle is beat out eggshaped then you don't need to pull the axle .... The new pins should fit snug into the axle ..But it's a great idea to take the spindles to the machine shop and let them fit the new bushings to the pins. I just had mine done last year... Good luck to you.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Be very careful buying new king pins. Somewhere along the way the king pins being sold today got cut with the locking groove too deep. The right pins should measure .662 from the bottom of the locking groove to the outside diameter. Incorrect grooves measure .644 at the same place. If you have the wrong pins a machine shop can cut a new groove to the correct depth. The king pin needs to be locked down tight with the locking pin. If the groove is too deep then it will wobble back and forth on the locking pin and will wear out the axle bore and you will have to replace the axle as the bore is not repairable. I'd guess that 90% of the pins being sold today have the wrong cut. Best to double check them and be sure. Another opition is to drill out the locking pin hole and use a larger locking pin to make up the difference in the groove. You will need to make a locking pin the right size for this opition.

Duane in Tennessee.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 am

Sy Hollinshead wrote:I did mine on my own, bit of a pain to do, but i managed in the end.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t13940p30-1964-econoline-camper-in-the-uk

I hate paying other people to do work on any of my cars, as they usually do a worse job than i could do myself....

Sy

Thanks for that link. After seeing what you did, I think I'll spend the money to have a machine shop do the work. It would be just my luck that I'd screw them up somehow. If the machine shop screws anything up, that's on them. Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:10 pm