VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Twinpilot001
jrinaman
whopman
donivan65
m1dadio
cculella
10 posters

Straight Six 230 side plate leak

cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Straight Six 230 side plate leak Empty Straight Six 230 side plate leak

Post by cculella Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:33 am

Like the title says, the rear side plate on the passenger side of the engine is leaking. I took it off to inspect the gasket and found it to be useless like a piece of old crusty bacon. So I removed the gasket, cleaned up the plate with some degreaser and applied some of that squeeze-on gasket in a tube. The same kind for sealing oil pans. After letting it cure for 24 hours and a quick drive, it still leaks. I saw some chrome sideplates on lmc.com, but I called and they weren't sure if they came with the gaskets or not. So my questions are these:

- Should I attempt another round of squeeze-on gasket?
    - Buy the set of chrome side plates from LMC and hope they include the gaskets?
    - Buy some gasket material and make my own using the remaining front side plate gasket as a template?
    - Have any of you had similar leaks?

Thanks,
    Charlie
    65 Chevy Panel
    Straight Six 230
    3-speed manual
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Straight Six 230 side plate leak Empty Re: Straight Six 230 side plate leak

Post by m1dadio Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:27 am

You could always just go the local parts place a buy gaskets .

When you say , squeeze on gasket , what exactly are you talking about? there are several defferent materials and each have to be use in an exact manner or they wont work. Especialy RTV Silicon.

You need to inspect the cover for cracks, and also the bolts need to be properly sealed.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:41 am

You need Pushrod Cover Gaskets, Felpro #PS13228,,,,,,about $10,,,,,these are cork,,,,,,they seem to seal better than the rubber ones,,,,,,they also come with new seals in there for the 6 bolts that hold them on,,,,,
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:01 pm

clean the side cover well in the gasket valley and bond the cork gasket on with gasgacinch ( gasket glue ) let it sit till it is bonded then install side cover without over torquing should take care of leak. Also check the lifter area for any obstructions that would cause it to not allow the oil to drain back to the pan.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Good point Whopman.
    If the oil dosn't return fast enough to the pan the lifter area will flood and almost no gasket can retain that.
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Charlie another thought on the rear side cover leaking....it may not be the side cover...it is possible the oil pressure sending unit is leaking it does come loose from time to time or gets a hairline crack in it....check to make sure it is tight and not tricking you into thinking it is the side cover thats leaking...
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:09 pm

I currently have a plug in it but you can see the oil pressure fitting goes here.

Straight Six 230 side plate leak Img_0214
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Althought I haven't checked the oil pressure inlet, I did notice that the oil is coming out all along the bottom of the rear plate. I can't check this right now as my van is at a friend's house getting sanded and painted. I am thinking that I will need to buy/make/install a new cork gasket and double check the oil pressure inlet for cracks or if its loose. Thanks for the help guys. If you have any other ideas, please post them.
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:04 pm

The gasket that I previously installed was from a tube. It was made for making gaskets/sealing oilpans. I figured that would work. The name of it was something with the word "Black" in it. Maybe I didn't let it set up enough before I squeezed it on and it got to thin in some areas.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:34 pm

I don't have any faith that you could seal those side covers with the tube stuff,,,,,,,,,any auto parts place should have or can order those Pushrod Cover Gaskets. Also the valve cover could be leaking and dripping down on the sides covers, which drip down on the oil sender, which drips down on the oil pan which ends up on the floor and means you need to start looking and fixing,,,,,,,before you park that thing on someones pretty driveway and wear out your welcome,,,,,,,,
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:32 pm

just bought the entire gasket set for 32 bucks. side cover gasket cant be over 10.00. that black goop is o.k. in a pinch BUT you cant let it get hard as it will only be as true as you can spread it. if you just put it on and tighten, it oozes out. i usually put some on both parts, let it tack up a few minutes and set peices in place WITHOUT TIGHTENING. tighten a few hours later. more than enough time to go back to parts store, return the 6.00 tube of goop and buy the 10.00 gasket.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Straight Six 230 side plate leak Napa_p10
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm sure it's leaking from the side panels, there is no sign of fresh oil above the panels. I didnt real get a good feeling when I put that goop on. Did like you guys said and found the fel-pro gaskets from autozone.com. They should be here in a couple days. should do the trick.
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:17 pm

So it turns out that Whopman was right. Not only was the gasket leaking, but it looks like the oil pressure sensor is leaking as well. After I put the gasket on, it stopped a majority of the leak, but it is still coming from below the sensor. So how do I either stop the leak from the sensor or remove the sensor and cap the hole? If it is cracked, what then?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Straight Six 230 side plate leak Empty sealers

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:15 pm

install a new sensor !! - also seal the new sensorsthreads with a sealer- I use teflon tape - yet be careful if using as you DO NOT !! want any tape inside the oil galley at all!

something most of us likely know - do not use the RTV type tube sealers on amything that is close to gasonine( carn gaskets) as has will destroy the stuff-=not sealing
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Installed the new sensor and stopped the leaks. Can't believe I didn't think if that before. I'm still learning what is an easy fix and what takes some serious time. Thanks for the reply and solution.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:31 pm

I have the same problem. I cleaned the groove where the gasket goes, put a thin coat of RTV, put the gaskets on and it is pouring out of the bottom. I am not sure if they are over torqued or not either. I have a reproduction of the the original service manual and nowhere can I find what to torque the bolts at. So now what do I do to fix this? I am stumped. HELP!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:15 pm

If the leak is by the dipstick, the oil sending unit could be a suspect as well as the rear of the valve cover leaking down,,,,,,cork gaskets work best,,,,,put RTV on both sides of it,,,,,,the spec is 80 INCH pounds,,,,,,the cover could be bent,,,,,,flip it 180 degrees or switch it with the other one,,,,see if the leak moves,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 pm

donivan65! Thanks for the info. It is not leaking on the plate nearest the firewall yet! Not the oil sending unit or valve cover. You can see the oil coming out of the bottom of the of the front plate. I will take it off and see if it is bent. Should have done it before I put it on. If not I will do what you said! Rotate! Finally some good info! Thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm

,,,,,,,and,,,,,,cork gaskets seal WAY better than those rubber ones,,,,,
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:16 pm

I second on the cork and be sure and use the new
    washers on the bolts. If you get the chrome ones
    be sure and scratch the surface that the gasket fits
    into with some 40 grit sand paper, helps seal, the
    chorme is too slick. this trick works on oil pans and
    tranny pans too.

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Got the leak fixed! Thanks guys!. NOW my new problem. When I had the engine out I installed a new oil pump. I forgot to prime it before I put my engine in. I have no oil pressure. How long can I run the engine til I hope to see some pressure? What can I do trouble shoot the issue? I am stumped. The engine has run for about 2 or 3 minutes so far. I know I have enough oil in it. I checked to make sure, put some oil in the filter before i installed it. Help!
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Be careful with any sort of RTV gasket goop as it can fall into your engine and as it is somewhat indestructable it is better at sealing an important oil passage than it is at sealing covers. Cork is great because after install it soaks up a little oil and expands itself for a better seal. I'll always take cork over rubber if I can get it.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:53 pm

What are you using for an oil pressure guage? If it was leaking it had to be moving oil I'd think.

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:35 pm

NO RTV. The leak happened when I was putting the oil in. What happened is the gasket did not get set properly. All good now. No leaking but no pressure. I am using an after market gauge that was on the truck previously and it worked before. The gauge moves o so slightly once in awhile. The oil sending unit is not leaking.
    Thank your assistance! much Appricated

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:41 pm