VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
organ grinder
DanTheVanMan
6 posters

How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics)

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics) Empty How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics)

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:14 pm

There are many ways to hook your Electric fan up. Here's how I did it.

Dan

How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics) Fan_wi10

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:13 am; edited 5 times in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics) Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics) Empty Re: How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics)

Post by organ grinder Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:05 am

Nice, simple diagram Dan. Thanks for taking the time to share.
    cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics) Empty Re: How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics)

Post by cculella Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:39 am

Thanks Dan, this will be very helpful when it gets warmer. Does it matter what kind of fan, or will any electric fan do?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:29 am

There are 1000's of different fans that will work. For the warmer the climates & larger engines choose a fan with a higher CFM. If using the fan a just a booster with your mech fan then you can use a smaller fan.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:38 am

Hey Dan, I ran my fan w/a 20 amp fuse to a battery source with 12ga wire, then I ground side switched it. Should I be using a relay? toad
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Toad I recommend always using a relay but if you switch is on the ground side and rated higher than you fuse and fan draw I guess it would work fine. Although I would think it would cause your switch to have a very short life....

My 2c.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:17 am

Dan -

Is there a specific place to install the thermal switch or will I have to drill and tap a hole? If there is already a place to put one, where is that located?

- Charlie
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:31 pm

I'll throw my two cents in for what it's worth. Keep in mind mine van is an A100.

I used a 16" Hayden Automotive 3710 electric fan, "pusher" mounted on the front of the radiator. I also changed the mechanical puller fan to a Summit "heavy duty" high flow fan.
    How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics) IMG00432-20100314-1037

I used an inline 18amp fuse and switched the hot with a Doorman 30A "Conduct-Tite" LED toggle switch.

link

I just cut a piece of 1" angle iron, painted it black and mounted it to the bottom edge of the dash to hold my switches. You can see it on the bottom left by the head light switch in this picture:

How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics) IMG-20110313-00253

I didn't use a temp relay because I didn't want to pay for one, the switch is lighted so I can see its on if I get out of the truck.
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Yeah, I just bought two fans and am now in process of picking up the rest of the pieces for the install. Honestly, I believe that I am too lazy or forgetful to remember to turn off the fan every time I get out. So, I am going to go with the temperature switch for convenience and peace of mind.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Charlie,
    What's it going in?

The best place for any switch in or near the radiator. Do not swap your "Idiot" light switch for a thermal switch in the block. Since the block heats up and stays hot for extended periods your battery will have a very short life. Installing it on the radiator side of the thermostat is where it needs to be, either in the top of the housing thermostat(Not the bottom part)with a screw in switch or a push through radiator fin type. This will allow the fan to run and draw from your battery only when really needed and make sure your thermal switch and thermostat are rated the same ie: 180-170 degrees. Having them different will cause you engine temp to flux out of it's optimal temp range causing your fan to run far more than needed and gas mileage to drop significantly due to the engine working harder than needed.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Dan -

Thanks for the reply. This will be installed on a inline 6 230. I believe most of the major parts are original, including the radiator.

Since I have been looking at your diagram, I have been trying to source all the parts for the install. I believe that I can get most of them from a major autoparts store. Would recommend getting a new thermostat when I get the thermal switch, to make sure they are the same temp rating?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Charlie,
    My Sportvan has the 230 as well. Here's what I did. Installed a 16" pusher fan in front of the rad. and bought a thermostat cap with a port on top, installed a 180-170 thermal switch and thermostat. Wire as in my diagram and all is good. But as always you need a good clean radiator or none of this will matter. I also tunneled the front of my doghouse and while doing so I also installed a smaller 12" fan relayed to my brake switch so when I step on the brake it kicks on keeping the airflow while at stop lights or stop & go traffic.

Dan

*** If you pull out your Thermostat and look at the bottom on the brass button it will tell you the (Opening) temp.. ei: 180=180-170/165 degrees (Generally a 10 degree drop between opening and closing....)

How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics) Img_2718

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Dan -

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Before is it's all done, I'm sure I will have a few more questions.

- Charlie
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:22 pm

NP, anytime. It's what we're all here for.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Dan -

I have sourced all the parts except for the thermal switch. When I picked up the thermostat housing it has the threaded hole for the coolant temp sensor. Is there a specific sensor/switch that fits the hole and has a corresponding thermostat? When the store looked up the part, it said that the temp sensor was not available on the vehicle. Well, duh. So is there a vehicle that uses the correct temp sensor/switch that fits the hole or should I look elsewhere? Thanks.

- Charlie
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Charlie,
    I did some searching on eBay to find my switches and bought couple of them with different ranges to test what works best in my van. As you can see in the picture above in post #12 I had to get a couple of brass fittings but it works fine. Most parts stores carry several temp range thermostats for our vans so the trick is just getting the ranges to match between the two....

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:09 pm

All be it a V-8, my thermostat housing has room for 2 sensors. One for a temp gauge and one could be used for a thermo switch. Is there any kind of a custom thermostat housing you could use that would give you both.

How to: Electric fan Install (The Basics) Dsc00322

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:54 pm