VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
slowflapper
67a 100 pickup
DanTheVanMan
Twinpilot001
Lazarusvan
9 posters

A100 General education question

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

A100 General education question Empty A100 General education question

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:13 am

Since I am really targeting an A series, can anyone give me a general breakdown of significant differences in models, if there is any, such as factory stock options, etc. I really want a window van of some kind. If that info is already found somewhere, that link would suffice.

I am learning that the back ends on some vans can't really sustain high speeds efficiently? Is that correct, and if so, what do I look for in an turnkey van to know that engine will be able to make an interstate road trip at highway speeds? I don't necessarily want a slow poke, so an upgraded engine would be of interest.

This is a great site and I appreciate the help for an infant dummy. Thanks, Lee
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

A100 General education question Empty Re: A100 General education question

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:20 am

Might try a google search on specific models and brands you are interested in. There are very knowledgeable people here & will help you.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:22 am

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

A100 General education question Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 am

I've got an A108 (108" Wheel base) with a 318, 727 automatic, and 3.55 rear end gears. I don't have a tach, but it does pretty good on the highway at 70 mph, I would guess I'm running 2500 to 2800 rpm. There is some wonder with the manual steering, but if you have ever driven a full size van it won't bother you. The main thing with all vans of this age is to TRAILER it home unless you are really close to home so you can personally inspect everything. One of the posts on the site describes what happens when a wheel bearing locks up on the freeway and the damage that happens.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 am

The basics (with a few variations):
    They will either be a 90" or 108" wheel base, to me the 108 seems to be more popular with camper conversions and passenger van models (i.e. it'll have two bench seats in the back). The 90" tends to be a cargo van and only have two front seats from the factory (with some exceptions of course).

The engines:
    It will have either a slant six, a 273 V8 or a 318 V8 (unless someone changed it after the fact). The slants provide enough power to be comfortable and the V8's obviously offer more.

driveline:
    it will have either an automatic or a 3-speed on-the-column manual. From what I gather a rear gear in the 3.55 range is common, I swapped my 3.55 for a 2.94 gear so I get lower rpm at higher speed.

trim:
    I think there was a "bare bones" model like mine (just a cargo van) that only had two seats. There's the "sportsman" and "tradesman" but I don't know what the differences in the trim levels are, it seems the "window vans" are more common in the tradesman/sportsmans. basically it either has lots of windows or almost none Smile

In regards to the engine RPM's:
    The automatics don't have overdrive and the 3-speed manuals are pretty low geared as well. Couple that with the fact that the rear gearing tends to be in the 3.55 range and your looking at 2500/3000 rpm or so at 55 mph. Thats higher than what you are used to with modern cars.

For example, my van with a 3-speed and 2.94 rear gears turns 2700 rpms at 55mph. My 2004 Tundra, with overdrive off, turns 2500rpm at 55 mph, it turns 1600 rpm with overdrive enabled at the same speed. I "think" the autos in the vans tend to turn lower rpms than the manuals, I suspect due to different gearing internally.

It's not so much the engine size that determines top speed as it is the rpm's. My van runs great, but it's the original 45 year old motor so I try and baby it and keep it at 2500/3000 rpm and no higher (no sense temping fate).

The big thing is to try and educate yourself before you buy so you don't pay too much for what you are getting.

I *will* eventually have a second van and it will be an automatic 108 window van (or a 108 camper). Smile
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks, Michael. Great info. Exactly what I was looking for. Can you further educate me on the meaning of the numbers as far as the gear ratios are concerned. What does the "2" and ".94" mean? Great photos of your van's rehab.

I've heard that the slant six was a bullet proof engine. Do you feel the others are as equally reliable?

This will likely see most of it's duty around town, so going 65 isn't important, but it would be nice. I want this to be something I can use reguarly to haul stuff. The shorter length would suffice.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:37 pm

The numbers that are used to describe the rear ends are the gear ratios of the ring and pinion in it. ( and that is dividing the teeth of the ring gear by the teeth on the pinion gear) And it makes a difference in how a van drives. A gear ratio like 3:55, (which is really 3:55 to 1), means that the driveshaft has to turn like 3 1/2 turns to get the wheels to turn 1 time,,,,,,this is what we call a low ratio,,,,,,,to get the wheels to go 70 MPH the engine has to scream and waste gas to get the job done,,,,,,now a high ratio rear end like a 2:94 lets the engine turn slower when going 70 MPH which saves gas,,,,,,the lower gear ratios have more torque on take off , they are good for pulling things but they can't go very fast. That gear ratio is exactly like the gears on a 10 speed bike,,,,,,,1st gear is a low gear,,,,10th gear is a high gear,,,,,BIG DIFFERENCE if you are stuck in either one of these gears and try to ride the bike,,,,So these vans came in a few different gear ratios in the rear ends, so a person should know what one he got so he can know if he has a better choice for his engine and transmission and how he uses his van.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:08 am

Yep. like donnivan said, it's compariable to a 10-speed bike.
    A deep (higher number) gear like a 3.55 or 3.91 is like a bike in low gear.
    Easy to start off, good on a steep hill, but limits going fast.
    A tall (lower number) gear like a 2.94 is like a bike in high gear.
    A bit of a struggle to get going, murder on a hill, but much better top speed.
    Don't forget that tire diameter is part of the equation. A short tire (25" tall) will lower the ratio, a taller tire (29" tall) will shift the gearing higher. This will also affect the speedometer.
    Here is a calculator so you can try different tire sizes:
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/speedocalibcalc.html

As far as transmission gearing, both the auto and the manual have a top gear (Drive or 3rd) of 1:1.

I don't have my manual handy, so this is what I found on the web.
    727 automatic = 2.45 1st, 1.45 2nd, 1.00 3rd.
    A230 manual = 3.02 1st, 1.76 2nd, 1.00 3rd.

hdsn49
    hdsn49

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by hdsn49 Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 am

One way to learn more about the A100 series vans is to purchase the original sales catalogs. These can be found on ebay or at a Auto literature dealer.

The vans are divided into 3 groups. The work van with or without a multiple of window and door options. The pickups and the wagon. The wagon was the term they used for the people carrying vans also known as the Sportsman Van.

I am restoring my Dads Custom Sportsman van that he purchased new in 1966. I was amazed at the information I learned by purchasing A100 literature.

A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-10-24

Post by A100Sportsman Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 am

There is the A100 (90" wheelbase) and the A108 (108" wheelbase). They come in several different kinds-
    Pickup
    Tradesman (generally used for conversions or as a panel van)
    Sportsman (window van, two bench seats, not very fancy)
    Custom Sportsman (window van, two bench seats, VERY FANCY! It has vinyl interior panels, chrome dash trim, exterior wrap around chrome trim, etc.)

Mine is a Custom Sportsman, originally fully-loaded! They are very nice if you are able to restore em, but parts are hard to find.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:11 am