VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
G-Man
EconoUSAparts
DanTheVanMan
Smallblockbug
dix
9 posters

are rust free vans getting hard to find

are rust free vans getting hard to find  Empty are rust free vans getting hard to find

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 pm

i have my 67 for sale, a guy from upstate ny called a couple times and i asked why he was looking in illinois ' the rust belt' for a van, he said that every van he has looked at out that way is rusty as heck, same story from two guys in fla. ive been sending pics out like crazy they cant believe this van has no rust. heck i live here and couldnt hardly believe it thats one of the reasons i bought her.
    jeff
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

are rust free vans getting hard to find  Empty Re: are rust free vans getting hard to find

Post by dix Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:06 pm

so give us the low down on the van and some pic's see if it sells here!!!!
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

are rust free vans getting hard to find  Empty Re: are rust free vans getting hard to find

Post by Smallblockbug Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Tell the guy in upstate ny, Illinois is not that far and to come get it. Oh and everything here is rusted to shit due to salt and chemicals they put in the salt. I had to go to Maryland to get my truck
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Same deal here in Florida. Had to buy on in Montana and have it shipped here. The general rule is: North or east = RUST!!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

are rust free vans getting hard to find  Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:29 pm

i wonder if the guys on the assm line building our vans ever imagined that some day we would be shipping them all over and be restoring them
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:37 pm

The most rust free van I have ever owned,which is also my current project van, I bought in,(drum roll please),Detroit,yes rust capital Detroit. However, it came from California in 72 and has been garaged ever since being disassembled for customization way back. Its pretty remarkable to see zero rust.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:02 pm

For those of you that may not know this Detroit sit on top of one larger salt mines in the world.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:15 am

Zero rust is a treat! New England/ New York is using some kinda spray chemical now to de ice the roads. This stuff destroys new trucks twice as fast as salt ! I think its to keep you buing a new car every 4 years.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:12 am

that sux whats in the chemical benwah
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 am

I took a gamble and bought a San Fransisco van off Ebay. It paid off as it has zero rust...!!!
    Cars over here in the UK get eaten by salt so fast, i have given the van a very good undercoat treatment to try and make it last, as eventually once finished it will be used all year round....

Sy

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:27 am

thats what i read on the hamb sy, the guy that posted said its worse than in our area here called the rust belt. i sent a bunch of pics to a guy from new zealand he said they get quite a few cars and trucks shipped over. i havnt been able to contact him since the quake hit, i hope hes ok real cool guy to chat with
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 pm

My van was sold at the dealership in National City CA (San Diego), then driven to central Arizona by its owner. I bought it and brought it to GA.

The areas above are pretty dry, GA is fairly wet/humid most of the year, cars that get ignored here start to rust. The ground tends to be fairly acidic as well, if its sitting on the ground in a junkyard for any length of time it's had it.
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Post by Smallblockbug Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:52 pm

In ny they add brine and even beat juice to the salt to make it work at lower temps. There is also molasses and one other chemical i dont know the name of.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Heres some consideration on the rusted van issue. I spent my 1st. 40 years in central texas-little rust anywhere there except near costal aresa & within 100 miles of there. Coming north & western areas - from Texas - colorado, new mex, nevada, and most all areas /states north- there wont be much rusted cars- Montana, Idaho, eastern washington state(where i have now lived past 23 years-have little rust issues to none- Especially =if kept in cover. Just no salt used on roads in winter times & soil has little acids.Ive just become into the older vans and as a hobby now in past 2 years - I have 2 now - chev 2nd.gen =67--and 61 econo - both with the camper conversions. there is NO rust on either. I am still amazed at all the others in the group that are dealing with rusted parts , panels, and trying to save the vans. My Hat's off to all of you doing this. I would never attempt these things. But - where we live and what we find and can afford - is what we must do mostly - just to have our Hobby and enjoyments possible.My best advice is if youre looking for a rust free van - look in the afore mentioned states - anywhere there is no coast line /salt water. Also be careful- ive seen stuff come from flooded areas- put on transports and sold in other states as good used vehicles. When the window motors quit & a repairman/ owner pulled the door panel some were almost solid mud -dried of course. yet just shows that a real inspection of a vehicle by someone is needed. We as hobbists are usually honest and rely on sellers to tell the truth to us. Many sellers can be 2nd, 3rd. owners-or even just selling a vehicle they dont really know about. We have as a group a really wonderful bunch of people= Honest, truthful all hoping to help everyone in this Hobby with great advice , experience and parts if needed. So- If youre spending some cash= careful - as im noticeing the prices climbing every day on what we do so love & enjoy. Happy Vannin and just think??= SUMMERS COMMING!! YES!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:19 pm