VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Scotts_A100
jkr
benwah
RodStRace
kltcustoms
9 posters

Engine Block info on my new motor

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Engine Block info on my new motor - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine Block info on my new motor

Post by jkr Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 pm

fel - pro set are seperate if needed. oil pan, head gaskets, and intake. make sure to get the paper intake set as they are the gasket of choice for the four barrell intakes. remember what i said about center punching along the front and back of the intake and you can do that also along the oil pan rail on the block. it helps give the gaskets something to bite into other than a flat surface that the gasket might slide on. just a dab of silicone on the 4 intake corners and also the oil pan corners.
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2008-07-07

Engine Block info on my new motor - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine Block info on my new motor

Post by kltcustoms Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:53 pm

jkr wrote:fel - pro set are seperate if needed. oil pan, head gaskets, and intake. make sure to get the paper intake set as they are the gasket of choice for the four barrell intakes. remember what i said about center punching along the front and back of the intake and you can do that also along the oil pan rail on the block. it helps give the gaskets something to bite into other than a flat surface that the gasket might slide on. just a dab of silicone on the 4 intake corners and also the oil pan corners.

Yup I remember and am taking notes as I go...
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Post by kltcustoms Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:33 am

I was asking about gasket sets for the motor and I found this but not sure if its over kill or not...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel+Pro/375/KS2114/10002/-1

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 pm

at $62.00 it's a bargain. keep the left overs but at that price you could toss whatevers left and still be in money.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:48 pm

After its back together---Dont Forget to put oil in it -before u start it??
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Post by kltcustoms Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:15 am

Ok I gotta give props to my wife... I was set to buy the gasket set for $62 with shiping will be about $70. She said not too buy just yet and she would look around too. We love shopping the deals...! So she finds Advanced Auto Parts.... same set at Jegs but was priced at $45.00...but wait there is a coupon on there website that knocks off 20% off that so I ended up paying $45.00 but I also was able to get some re-assemble lube for free AND upgraded my shipping to 2 day air!!!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:40 am

Way to go! Great that your life partner is involved too. That can often make or break the relationship or the projects!
    Shop around for belts, hoses, thermostat, fluids and all the other little things that add up.
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:32 am

hope that she did not do this just so that she would get a bit more spending money for her purchases.

My wife bought me a battery box for my truck for me birthday Very Happy and not get to sit alone as I am in garage prepping it for paint
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:43 am

yea- we must scratch & save & look 4 cheap parts - while the wife Hoards all the $$ & shows us that new dress she bought on sale for$ 300.00 = bucks!!
    Is it all worth it?? Remember = shell always get that Latte with 3 shots, supersize that Burger and yet get a Diet Coke to save those calories== and then get a chair like this to sit in & watch us work on mowing the Grass!!=
    Engine Block info on my new motor - Page 2 Americ10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:44 am

and I wonder why we all have vans??
    HaHaha
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732

Post by dix Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:47 pm

don't forget to super size the diet coke.
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Post by kltcustoms Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Luckly the wife and I get along real well married 20 years...and she HATES shopping, likes working on cars and watching football ! Shes a KEEPER!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Sounds like a DREAM to Me- U been smokin again?/
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Post by kltcustoms Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:Sounds like a DREAM to Me- U been smokin again?/

Always smokeing sir........ but the wife is a dream come tru
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Post by kltcustoms Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:11 pm

I have the pan installed...used very small amounts of sealer like advised. How do the head gaskets go on? I mean I know how but blue side up or down or does it matter? The kit didn't come with any paper work on this...I was kind of suprized.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:25 pm

With the pins holding them in place, they only go on one way.
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Post by kltcustoms Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:12 pm

RodStRace wrote:With the pins holding them in place, they only go on one way.

Ok .....sorry for the stupid questions.. Embarassed
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:23 am

It's not stupid. Unless you have test fit them, you don't know.... Smile
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:49 am

Get ready to do it all over again = affraid Mad
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Post by kltcustoms Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:Get ready to do it all over again = affraid Mad

THANKS MATT
    hdsn49
    hdsn49

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by hdsn49 Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 pm

My wife is a keeper too. Next month 38 years. She puts up with parking her car outside all year long so I can keep my antique cars in the garage. She didn't complain last summer about my '66 van being parked on the side of the house on my trailer while I disassembled it for restoration. She didn't even flinch when I told her I bought an NOS Commodore steering wheel for one of my Hudsons for $600.00.
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Post by kltcustoms Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:13 pm

NICE man..... Feels pretty good when you get the wifes permission. HAHA Marrige is a partnership and should be 50 50. I guess a few fellers are not as lucky....some I understand why! HAHA

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:01 am