VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

carburetor problems.

codyguy

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2011-02-18

carburetor problems. Empty carburetor problems.

Post by codyguy Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:19 am

I don't know much about cars, and my dad doesn't know much either. I just bought my first car about two months ago. It's a 67 dodge van. Windows and long wheelbase. Automatic and 225 slant six. It's in alright condition, but now it's running pretty bad. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the carb. On acceleration, the engine will stall if I don't have a real light touch on it, and even then it will feel like it's about to stall. When I first got it the throttle seemed like it was sticking and when we looked at the carb the spring wasn't pulling the throttle thing back, so my dad threw another spring on it. Since then when I first accelerate it feels like there's uneven pressure when I push the gas.
    I'm pretty sure I should rebuild the carburetor, but I don't know what model it is. It says on one side that it was made by Carter, and on the other is the number 6 5075. I searched for it online and didn't find anything. It's a single barrel. Am I looking in the wrong place? I was also wondering about the differences between carbs and whether it might be better for me to get a new one. Would a 2 barrel be better?
    codyguy

carburetor problems. Empty Re: carburetor problems.

Post by codyguy Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 am

Actually the number is 6 2072. Reading on mirrors can get tricky. Still can't find anything though. If there's anyway I can fix this today I might drive it to that Council of Councils thing going on tomorrow.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:38 am

The 1st thing to check is the accelerator pump,,,,,,,with the engine off , look down into the carb and pump the gas pedal,,,,,,,there should be gas spraying down in there like a squirt gun,,,,,,if not, the pump diaphram or linkage could be bad or missing,,,,,,,,, and this is a Carter BBS carb,,,,,,,

carburetor problems. Dodge_33

Last edited by donivan65 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    codyguy

Post by codyguy Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:47 am

Just checked that out and didn't see any gas spraying or anything. The other day my dad and I were looking at the carb and were trying to figure out what the accelerator pump was. It didn't seem like it was doing anything. How would Go about fixing this?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:23 pm

If you have no one that has experience and can teach you, I'd suggest paying for the service.
    Have the carb rebuilt and a complete tune-up done (compression check, valve adjust, points, plugs and condenser) and 'scope it out to see if the cap, rotor and wires need replacement too.
    It would be a good time to replace the oil and filter, the coolant if it's not in good shape, pressure test the cooling system, and do a brake inspection.

Any time a person with little or no experience buys an old car, there is a period where it can become a beautiful experience or poison that person to old cars for life. While I can usually describe a basic procedure fairly well, if you have no background and no one to help, it will probably turn out badly. Better to get the van in good running condition and learn from there.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Points are the root of all evil,,,,,,,so make sure they are adjusted,,,,,Basically, that part called the rocker arm in the above picture, moves the pump shaft up and down,,,,,,,so see if that is working,,,,,,and of course, if the end of the pump plunger inside the carb is worn out, it won't shoot gas,,,,,,,or maybe the clip fell off the rod,,,,But Rod is right,,,,,,there is a lot more to it,,,,,,,but the more you learn, the better off you will be,,,,,,,,
    codyguy

Post by codyguy Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 pm

I get what you're saying about getting help. I kind of like doing things myself and would like to figure this out. I've already replaced the rear wheer cylinders and master cylinder which was a bit of a struggle since I didn't have a clue how breaks worked before that. I don't know if rebuilding a carb would be out of my league, but I feel like I might be able to handle it. I have some neighbors I can bug when I get stuck.
    It seems like the rocker arm is working, but it doesn't move the pump. Pictures might help, but I don't have a camera right now.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Might I suggest connecting with other members in the OC, enrolling in a community college course for automobiles, and otherwise emmersing yourself in the rich Southern California car scene?
    Help really is around almost every corner, and the basics are usually shared with gusto.

There is a reason these signs are funny!
    carburetor problems. PDS-2431
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:32 pm

codyguy wrote:I get what you're saying about getting help. I kind of like doing things myself and would like to figure this out. I've already replaced the rear wheer cylinders and master cylinder which was a bit of a struggle since I didn't have a clue how breaks worked before that. I don't know if rebuilding a carb would be out of my league, but I feel like I might be able to handle it. I have some neighbors I can bug when I get stuck.
    It seems like the rocker arm is working, but it doesn't move the pump. Pictures might help, but I don't have a camera right now.

And you got the smaller leading shoe on the front on both sides, got the self-adjusters to work properly, and bled the system? GOOD JOB!! cheers
    Many have been stuck on brakes. If you have the mechanical apptitude to handle that, keep learning and ask for help when needed!
    codyguy

Post by codyguy Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 pm

The biggest problem I had with the brakes was getting my driver side wheel off. Didn't know they had reverse threads.
    I can't seem to find a rebuild kit though. Any tips?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:50 pm

Echlin #CRB 25500

or 25405 25461 25641
    Needs the carb number to select the right kit
    21.49 Each
    at NAPA

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Well if you think it's a Carter BBS, that is the pump shaft sticking up with the hole in it,,,,,,,the rocker lever hooks into it,,,,,,that shaft is spring loaded,,,,,you can remove that rocker and pull up on the shaft to see if it moves,,,,it could be WAY out of adjustment or rusted up,,,,,it could be anything after all these years,,,,,and it won't hurt anything to take off the cover and see whats inside the carb,,,,,,,,

carburetor problems. Bbs_110
    codyguy

Post by codyguy Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:06 am

I'm pretty sure that I do have a Carter BBS, and from what I've learned is that the carb number should be on a tag. There's no tag to be found on my carburetor. I have some free time to do the rebuild, but I can't figure out what parts I need.
    I think I'll just be taking it into a shop. I'm sure they can figure it out. Does anybody here have any recommendations for places around Huntington Beach/Westminster?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 am

Stuff could be missing,,,,,but you need to try and find out if it is ,,,,,probably ANY BBS carb kit will have enough parts in it to rebuild your carb if you can't find the carb #. But what about the accelerator pump linkage? Carb kits are gaskets and rubber parts,,,,,,metal parts are harder to find,,,,,,is the pump linkage there? There is a bowl vent valve on the top of the bowl that the pump shaft goes through,,,,,that valve is just a flat washer,,,,the top of the pump shaft has a hole in it that a rocker lever hooks into,,,,,the other end has a little coat hanger type rod that hooks it to the throttle shaft, so pumping the gas pedal moves the rod, which moves the rocker, which moves the pump up and down, which sprays the gas into the carb. You need that linkage to be there,,,,AND,,,,,you need a good pump in the carb to get that circuit to work correctly. That's what I would be checking,,,,a carb kit won't help you if you got parts missing off the carb,,,,,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am

Another big thing on BBDs is loose/worn throttle shafts.
    This is about the easiest carb to rebuild there is.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:11 pm

That about sums up the vintage van story,,,,,,if you got a lot of money, like to wait for someone to repair your van, then hope that they fix it right, or you can try and learn how to fix it yourself, where to find parts and go to places like this if you need help.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:55 pm

or take it to the auto parts store and get a rebuilt carb.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:46 am