VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
Casimier
southern man
7 posters

Electrical Questions

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Electrical Questions Empty Electrical Questions

Post by southern man Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:58 pm

I started this weekend rewiring my '64. This is my first crack at this type of project, although I think I have a basic understanding of things electrical. At least I thought I did. Here's what I've run into so far:

1. Wiper motor. Bought new wiper and headlight switches from Ron Francis wiring. Directions say to run line from fuse box to switch, then from switch to motor. Motor has a three pronged molded plug to spade terminal block (which looks like it may be one connection inside the motor). Also another separate terminal on the motor that I'm guessing is a ground(?). Are any of the three terminals OK for a positive connection?
    2. Directions say to run line from fuse box to positive side of gas gauge, but nothing is labeled. Directions seem to indicate left terminal (as you are looking at the back) is positive, but I'm not sure. Sender from tank is on other terminal. Then you're supposed to daisy chain another line from the positive terminal to the postive terminal on the temp gauge (on the left?). Then the remaining terminal goes to the temp sending unit. Sound right?
    3. I got religion when I started this project and while trying to remove the gauge cluster decided to just disconnect everything and start from scratch. Not so smart - I should have known better. There are seven bulbs, 5 of which have one wire, the other 2 have two. So, are the two wire bulbs for the directionals or the oil and generator lights?
    4. I now have an alternator, so the generator light is useless I guess. I'm also going to add an oil pressure, temp & amp tricluster, so do I really even need to hook up the oil light?
    5. The kit references a clutch switch circuit that is of course a safety feature on newer cars. It seems to indicate if this is not hooked up up the truck won't start, but do I need to add this switch on my old vehicle?

Certainly all of these questions can be addressed with Ron Francis, but I thought I'd start with the great minds here first, especially since you all know these vehicles better than anybody. Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm sure I'll have more as I go along. A lot of it has gone pretty well, so I'm not discouraged yet, just anxious to get it completed.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Electrical Questions Empty Re: Electrical Questions

Post by Casimier Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:11 am

see if you can get your hands on one of those wiring schematics
    for our earlies...I'll look later in my 65 and 66 manuals for something.
    Jim
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:09 pm

hey Southern..
    I found the schematics...send them to you tomorrow....
    what's your email address.
    Jim
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:09 pm

For the wipers,,,,,,you need a hot wire from the ignition switch to the wiper switch,,,,,,then you have the different speed wires going from the switch to the motor,,,,,,,,and maybe one for the washers. The alternator dash light would have 2 wires on the socket,,,,1 from the ignition switch,,,,,,1 from the voltage regulator,,,,,,,easy to mix up the high beam, turn signals and dash light sockets,,,,,the clutch switch is the same as the safety neutral switch,,,,,you turn the key to start,,,,,,it energizes the wire to the starter relay to crank the starter,,,,,,so they put a switch in there to keep the starter from cranking if the the engine is not in Park or Neutral. Or only if you have the clutch depressed on newer models,,,,,,so just hook the 2 wires together if you don't have a clutch switch,,,,,,
    seturner612

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Electrical Questions Empty wiring diagram 64 e100

Post by seturner612 Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Casimier wrote:see if you can get your hands on one of those wiring schematics
    for our earlies...I'll look later in my 65 and 66 manuals for something.
    Jim
    i can sell you a copy of 64 wiring diagram comes from a dealer service manual 1964 ,is yours a generator or a altanator? i have both ! 10.00bucks snale mail - indy
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks for the offer - I'll keep it in mind. Two others have sent me a '66 and '63, which seem will help.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:03 pm

I'M am not sure how hard set you are on keeping the stock wiring harness, but I used a EZ and it is wonderfull it has every wire you will ever need and then some. Also the wires are labeled every foot or so and color coded.
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:21 pm

EZ wire is the only way to go! Every thing is in them. I used a 12 circuit, but not enough if you have some extras like auxilary lights and other items that should be on thier own circuit. Eighteen circuits sounds like a lot, but you can use most of them. Very easy to install.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:26 pm

There is nothing good to say about the original wiring harness or another old used one,,,,,,they are old,,,,,under powered,,,,,over loaded,,,,,poor connections,,,,,,not enough circuits,,,,,,upgrading is the way to go,,,,,,,a store bought one or start replacing the important wires one by one,,,,,,,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:24 pm

as another matter, most all wipers that 'park' have ignition hot and are ground switched!
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:27 am

Hey SM,

Did you get the harness all together and have any tips for the rest of us that use RF? What kit did you get?

southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Stu,
    I got the Express kit and have been slowly working through my issues. Got to a point where I spent a bit of time making sure I knew how I wanted things routed - trying to think twice so I only have to do it once. I want this to be a very neat install when I'm done. (I figured out how to handle the safety switch - easy to bypass.)

All of the wires in this kit are clearly labeled every foot or so and it's easy (for the most part) to see where things go. I'm probably to the point where I could start the truck and start testing the circuits I've completed but I think I want to get more of it in place first.

Oh, and I finally got the balls to just rip out the old wiring and man did that make things easier. No more clutter to work around.
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

That's the one I decided upon. Where did you mount that honking panel?
    I'm going to build a floor console to hold the gauges, move the ignition and headlight switches, horn button, and mood lighting switches to it and also hold the stereo and thinking of putting some hinges on it in the bottom that lift up to hold the panel. Did this rewire everything that was stock including all of the switches? I couldn't find a list on RF sight. Some I saw didn't include anything for the heater or wiper switches

with 40+ years of old wires, I'm willing to spend the time and bucks doing this. When I had my 65, I added an amp and a few things and it fried a few wires and thats when the van was only 13 years old.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Are you including any harness connectors? How are you connecting to various things, such as light pigtails, the wiper motor , ignition switch and others that have unique plugs?
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Rod,
    I replaced my taillights and license plate lights so all those wires and connections are new. Used male and female covered spade terminals there. I'm trying to get fresh wire everywhere possible but I did decide to use the existing wires (only a couple of inches) from the parking lights, headlights and I have yet to sort out the directionals. That may well be my biggest challenge. I'm stripping any old wires clean and mounting new connectors.

The RF inition switch is complete - piece of cake. The wiper connections are still a mystery to me, but I'll get to it eventually. Also trying to be sure all grounds are solid.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:26 pm