VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
austinmodhouse
Mr Hill Billy
G-Man
southern man
DanTheVanMan
donivan65
slowflapper
Admin
mcfly
benwah
Magic Bus
Twinpilot001
16 posters

Old van for cross country trip???

Old van for cross country trip??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Old van for cross country trip???

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 pm

I only had that problem once and it was on the only van I have had that had the exhaust run out the rear of the van. All my other vans had some sort of zoomies in front of the rear tires.
    voodoo

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Old van for cross country trip??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Old van for cross country trip???

Post by voodoo Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:33 pm

Take the trip!!! It looks like you have checked the mechanicals over, and as long as nothing is leaking and all the fluids are full you will be fine. You said the brakes are good , then you should have no problems. Here is a few tips for taking a long distance trip with a classic. Make sure all gages are working, and if not replace them. Do not drive with the flow of traffic, keep it to 60mph max. Stop at every rest area or every other and check fluids. I know economy is bad, but have enough cash to get to your destination in case of a major mechanical failure. Enjoy the drive, I envy you guys, when I purchase my vintage I'll be driving it accross country. I too live in Portland and have looked at that van, I think you guys will be ok.
    When I was in the Air Force I bought a 68 Camaro that I dragged out of someones back yard in New Mexico. I put a fuel pump and a battery in it and drove the bucket to Portland. Had to push start it every time I stopped cause the starter went out but she made it by keeping fluids in her. Had more fun driving that wrek home then I do driving my 06 chevy anywhere. Good luck, home you get the van....
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 am

Go For It- Just be sure the brakes are in good shape- By the way?/ Arnt you going from portland to eastern areas?? If thats correct - The only passes you will have are cloes to you on I-90 and in idaho - theyre not vad at all. Im in spokane just off I 90 & made all those passes with never any worry- ull be fine with all - most likwly make the trip with no problems at all.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:09 am

the post is no longer on craigslist so i am going to assume you bought the van. I would nake sure it has a electronic dist. and a updated electronic voltage regulator installed . a extra fuel pump in the tool box may be a good idea. aswell as the belts.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:57 am

Take a point type also & set of points with u -Try gettin some electronic dist. parts @ night on the interstete!! Hoses too

Old van for cross country trip??? - Page 2 Empty Checked the van out!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 am

Okay, wow, thanks for all the tips folks.

My wife and I (and our son) checked out the van last night. We of course were in love from first sight but it only got better as I looked things over real well. NO rust anywhere, its unbelievable.

Its had just about everything serviced/upgraded in recent years, plus some good spare parts to boot.

The voltage regulator has been replaced, although the owner says he always carries a spare because it goes out sometimes. I noticed the voltage needle on the dash moved around with headlights sorta dimming/brightening......my old '65 Chevy did this too.

It started right up like a champ (he didn't start it before we came over so we could hear it cold start), and once it was warm it purred right along.

We drove it out on a road where we could get it up to 55. No problems here. The brakes were excellent, he obviously knows a little about the dying art of brake drum adjustment.

The tires are in phenomenal shape, nice light duty truck tires from Toyo, and white walls to boot!

The inside is so clean compared to the last few vans I've had, the dash is crazy clean and original.

All the locks work, all the doors shut, all the windows go up/down and pop out/back.

We did have to shut the back pop outs while idling because it did let some exhaust in, the pipe comes out in front of the rear tire.

The only thing I wondered about was the lack of belly pan.....he said he never needed it since he had the radiator re-cored (and an extra core added) and I have to believe him on that one........its just that all you hear about with these old vans is "belly pan, belly pan!"

Oh, and the doghouse was fairly well sealed, he said of course in the summer when its hot you smell raw gas which I think we would fit an electric fan down there like others have done to get the fumes outta the way.

Oh, and maybe I don't like the auto choke either, but it works good on this rig and I can always switch over to manual.

It doesn't have the electric points and he said he mean to do it but it ran so good with the stock points he didn't get around to it. Seems like a good idea though since it might improve gas mileage ever so slightly??

Well, we're giving it a few days thought. We had a nice night with the owner, we hit it off, he wants us to have the van if we decide to buy it, but we are looking at another van on Friday just to make an informed decision ('87 Toyota 4X4 van).

thanks !

mark
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:27 am

Good for you -as for the exhaust smell in the rear areas - just install one of the wings that came on the old ststion wagons to keep the rear windows clean - They work great . Dont wait too long to get it -might be gone soon?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:16 pm

If you buy it. 1st the head lights are flickering and the gauge because of the machanical voltage regulator .buy the electronic regulator . i will have to do some homework but they sell a direct replacment. no cutting wires. the old regulators are junk. they will burn your truck to the ground. on the other side philly gets a lot of snow in the winter. these vans don't do aswell in the snow.if the van is going to be your only transportation then buy the 4x4

Old van for cross country trip??? - Page 2 Empty Snow, voltatge regulator

Post by Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:49 pm

I have thought alot about the snow issue. These of course aren't so good. But, our jobs our within walking/public transit range so its not too big of a deal to not drive until the roads are clear. Of course driving in snow can be fun, and 4X4 would be great. We'll see......

The voltage regulator, I saw a post which had this replacement, which is available at $8 a pop (I called).....anyone have an idea of its long term usage??
    See it here: http://www.regitar.com/automotive/displaypart.asp?ID=405

Seems like it could be the thing to do without having to replace the alternator, and, with a fusible link on the battery it would be safe for all?

mark
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:42 pm

you should almost never have to replace it unless you have a electric spike . the alt, that van has is a single field. the newer ones are a dubble field , the alt, you have will put out about 30 amps. if you are going to step up the alt . to say 75 amp then you would buy the newer 2 field alt and a electronic regulator to work the newer alt. there is a thread on this site addressing all of this. the fusable link is a must do as well . i think it goes to the regulator . i do not renember. i am sure someone will step in on this. if you don't change the alt. that regulator is the one you want.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Abracadabra, in reading the posts it sounds like you know early vans and you know what you're getting yourself into. IMO, load up a toolbox, bring a smart phone and hit the road . . . create lasting memories with the family.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Ive swapped out the old voltage regs. with ones from late 70s pickups I usually buy a new voltage reg for a 78 pickup, and get a pigtail plug at a local JY. The one extra wire you run to the alt. You also have to use the newer 2 field wire alt as well. The old system should work ok. It worked for me on my journey cross country. As well as many other peoples back in the day. Sniffin gas is the nature of the beast! Normally its only really heavy when you shut the truck off after driving and let sit a while. As far as points distributers go. Im still runnin the original one in my 65. I do have a spare points dist I take with me on the long hauls. If you have it you wont need it!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:53 pm

I would be all over that van. Get it before someone else does.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am