VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+13
Twinpilot001
dan nachel
AzDon
Barnabas
RodStRace
xjamesx
samsvan
gregb
whalemstr
Bruce67Econoline
Abitibi
donivan65
Casimier
17 posters

Vintage Van Cross Country Caravan

Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Vintage Van Cross Country Caravan Empty Vintage Van Cross Country Caravan

Post by Casimier Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:31 pm

This is on my bucket list.  A trip across the country in my old 65 econoline.

I know that Donovan has gone to Michigan from California,
    but I'd like to go to California from NJ.

I see it like this.  500 to 800 miles a day, stopping for gas and meeting all on the site.
    Maybe making it to some shows along the way.

But I have thousands of questions.

What are the reputable garages along the way?

Best places to eat?  You get real hungry on the road.
    Best places to see?  I don't want to miss anything.

Who are the vintage vanners on the way.  
    We need some sort of registry by town and state.
    Chebby can you supply me this?

Who would volunteer to be spokes person of your state and locale?
    You know, the guy to call when you've broke down and need those local connections.
    Email and phone numbers would be needed.

What are the best campgrounds and at the best time of year.

What is a good hotel chain to use for that comfortable bed?

And of course...a route map connecting everything!

Who has the same idea..let's start the map.

So who wants to go with me?
    Caravan across the country.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Vintage Van Cross Country Caravan Empty Re: Vintage Van Cross Country Caravan

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:05 pm

In May,,,,,I wont be in my van, but I should be in my G30 Chevy Transvan,,,,,,wandering east on I-40, standing on a corner in,,,,,Winslow, Arizona,,, then heading up   I-55 north to Chicago, then back down I-55 South to I-44 West which is Route 66  to Oklahoma City then back on I-40 west and drop down through Arizona to Southern California,,,,,,and there is a 1000 miles of California to see,,,,,,,,,,,so  thats my road trip route,,,,,,,

Vintage Van Cross Country Caravan Vacati13
    Abitibi
    Abitibi
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2014-06-23

Post by Abitibi Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:22 pm

500 to 800 miles daily?!? Maybe if you were 17 and driving to your sweetheart after being away all summer but wow, that's a lot of miles to be able to appreciate the country and its folks!

I've crossed east to west, West to east a good dozen times in old vans. I guess it all depends about how much time you can spare but the best trips were the longer ones where I covered the least Wink

Enjoy!
    Casimier
    Casimier

Post by Casimier Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:16 am

Well, I think we should make a road map of the US, Canada and Mexico...hey even Europe showing pins of members willing to help a fellow member on the road or welcome as a visitor.

The pins could be of different colors...blue for Ford, Red for Chevy and Orange for Dodge.
    The pin could be striped to indicate they have a garage with tools and parts!

Hell, I'll start the sign up list now!

Blue with black striped PIN
    Casimier
    Jackson, NJ
    732-998-7529

anybody else?
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:13 am

Blue striped pin Charleston SC 29412but my garage is slam full of stuff. I do have a nice pop up if rain is present.
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2012-06-27

Post by whalemstr Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:45 am

orange pin up in the northern end of the valley in ca
    3rd county south of oregon
    along I-5
    Casimier
    Casimier

Post by Casimier Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:07 am

spread the word!  we need more than 3 pins!

New Jersey
    South Carolina
    Northern California

any other states?
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2014-06-23

Post by Abitibi Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:44 am

Blue stripped pin in Vancouver, BC Canada.

Not much of a garage but it never stopped me wrenching Wink

gregb
    gregb

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2015-09-06

Post by gregb Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:41 am

red for vancouver
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:29 pm

I have a GMC in Sarasota, Fl., Would that be a red pin with an * ???
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Blue with a black striped pin up in Turner, Maine. It's out of the way but beautiful and well worth the drive up.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:43 am

I used to be in a much better position to lend a hand, but can still be a pin to vanners.
    Orange pin in the Prescott area of Arizona, but have many years of turning wrenches on everything, so add a Blue and Red dot.
    Garage is jammed up, but have tools and a bunch of Dodge parts.

I do not want to post phone or email on an open forum. I realize that the majority of us here are older and may not have the latest smart phone, but it's a smart thing to have on a open road adventure, along with a triple A card. PM me here if you are planning on running thru Prescott, Skull Valley, Yarnell, Sedona, Jerome, or I-40 (replacing Route 66) from Williams to Seligman. I can provide contact as needed.

Eating is very personal. Some prefer the bland sameness of a chain to ensure no gastric distress. Others dig finding the mom & pop place the locals all frequent. Some bask in the unique 'tourist traps' that serve stuff you can't find anywhere else for that 'bucket list' fix.

There are a TON of books about road tripping, along with a gigawatt's worth of websites. Just make sure to cross-check for recent reviews, so you don't end up at a place that closed down a year ago.

http://www.theroute-66.com/
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/
    https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/weird-roadside-attractions-strangest-road-trip-sights
    https://roadtrippers.com/guides/roadside-attractions-usa?lat=40.80972&lng=-96.67528&z=5
    http://backroadplanet.com/

I would strongly suggest avoiding the interstate unless needed to get from point-to-point. One of the major points of driving a vintage van is to slow down (they aren't Grand Tourismo machines) and you want to be able to interact with others, see things at a more relaxed pace, and really take in the experience. Bonus points for writing it down, taking pictures and sharing!

For the areas I listed, here are some sites.
    Note that I tried to supply various sites rather than all the places at a single site. This way you can explore each site to see the differences in the way they present information and find one that fits you.
    http://visitsedona.com/
    http://www.sedonaverdevalley.org/jerome/aboutjerome.html
    http://www.skullvalley.org/
    http://www.visitarizona.com/places-to-visit/north-central-arizona/yarnell
    http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Arizona/Seligman-750306/Things_To_Do-Seligman-TG-C-1.html
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:22 am

Your route will probably not pass this way, but we have a big blue pin with a stripe here in Raleigh NC, just down the road a piece from Mayberry.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Post by Casimier Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:05 am

Hey
    Barnubus
    You never know when someone is making the trip to FLA from NJ
    And tends to visit friends in Charlotte.
    That's near Raleigh, well same state anyway
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:03 pm

I saw a similar idea on the xlforums (harley sportsters).......The idea was for forum members to host other forum members when they were on long distance trips.....
    I would never expect to be rescued by a fellow forum member and probably not volunteer for such duty myself (that's what road service and healthy credit limits on your cards are for!)
    I love the idea of long-distance caravans, and I'd love to be visited..... Even better would be to generate enthusiasm for regional van happenings like the old days.....I know some parts of the country still do these and the volkswagen bus people still do these in the SW......The closeness of our computers does allow us to unite in big numbers and have robust conversations, but geography and the age and crudeness of these vehicles present physical limitations for those of us that expect modern comfort when we travel......Eventually, I hope to achieve a van build that achieves this level of comfort.....until then, I'll be here online...
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Put a blue pin with black stripe just outside Columbia S C 29160
    Casimier
    Casimier

Post by Casimier Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:32 am

great information, ideas and thoughts! What a membership.
    Keep the posts of PINS coming! I need all the states.
    RED for Chevy, Blue for Ford and Orange for Dodge.
    Striped pins if you have a place and tools to work on the van.

What no Mexico or UK?

Casimier
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:27 am

Most all are very correct on road trips- we've all done it ! 800 miles a day is not feasable-500 is a good figure to shoot for daily==PROVIDED?? there are no weather conditions, ice , snows, rains, wrecks, detours?? , ect. to deal with?? i always figure 50 mph =ADVERAGE!! daily giving 10 hours for a 500 mile a day average- adding Bfast, Lunch stops & FUEL stops addl. Thats around 5 stops ---unless you fuel & grab a garbage burger from the fuel places=(gormet / NOT!) Still adds up to a 12/13 hour day? cheers
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by FIZGIG Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:27 am

We should do a meetup in Las Vegas around June time. Could be fun and its kinda in the middle. LOL
    Casimier
    Casimier

Post by Casimier Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:06 am

I agree with you twinpilot

500 miles a day with enough time to smell the roses along the way.

10 hours a day driving the van lets face it at our age is exceptional.

Just wanted to compile info for the trip along the way.

Who's who and where you at?
    playnpossum
    playnpossum

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2014-02-17

Post by playnpossum Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 pm

orange and striped pin in Spartanburg SC right off I85....really like this idea.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:56 pm

I'm right on I 40 in Jackson TN. Between Memphis and Nashville. I'm mainly Econoline but can help with anybody passing through. If you're passing through just stop by for a visit.

Duane.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:59 pm

I just thought I would add that I have a trailer to haul broken down travelers if needed. Hope that never happens tho. Y'all are also welcome to stop in for a visit when you are in the area. I have plenty of space for overnight campers also.
    Vancy65
    Vancy65

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2014-03-10

Post by Vancy65 Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:45 pm

First pin in Europe!
    Blue striped in Stuttgart, south/west Germany.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Post by Casimier Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:05 am

When you attach the pin remember to list a few attractions nearby to you ie,
    Here in Jackson, NJ we have
    Great Adventure, with the Belmar beach and Atlantic City Nearby.
    No hotels close by, nearest Days Inn is in nearby Freehold.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:48 pm