VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
Admin
6 posters

SPAM! It's Everywhere!

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

SPAM! It's Everywhere! Empty SPAM! It's Everywhere!

Post by Admin Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06 am

Since the 1st of the year, I have gotten more spam in my email and spammers trying to sign up on the old forum Shocked I'd say about 800% more than usual Evil or Very Mad

Anyone else having this issue?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

SPAM! It's Everywhere! Empty Re: SPAM! It's Everywhere!

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:13 am

Yes -so true!! i have to also run my 4 antivirus programs every day -just to keep the cookies & trackers from slowing me up. The internet scammers are really active - just trying to make an un-honest buck.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Chebby, Spammers use "Wildcards" to send spam and sniffer's to pull internet domains. Simply once they have a domain IE: Vintage-Vans.com they use a wildcard to send spam to: " *(Everyone)*@Vintage-Vans.com". So if you have a Vintage-vans address you will get "lots-O-Spam"!
    Not sure how many members have a V.V. email account so you may be the only one. Most domain email servers have 'Spam detection" blocking all emails that have 20, 30, 50 or 100 addresses in the "To:"box. Or block or reject any email addressed " To: undisclosed-recipients". Not sure who's hosting your email accounts but most have a filter option that will help block some or most spam. As technology advances it will only get worse. Also keep in mind the about 90% of site that ask for your email address are selling yours and everyone Else's address to spam marketing centers. Sad but true!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

SPAM! It's Everywhere! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Really I have not had 1 maybe it's my Norton AntiVirus..
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:33 am

Well it's definately the OLD forum that's driving me nuts.... This morning I had 118 emails when I turned on the computer... 6 were legit and the other 98% were "spambots" trying to get registered on the old forum.... and they are still coming in Rolling Eyes
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:08 am

chebby wrote:Well it's definately the OLD forum that's driving me nuts.... This morning I had 118 emails when I turned on the computer... 6 were legit and the other 98% were "spambots" trying to get registered on the old forum.... and they are still coming in Rolling Eyes

Either disable registration emails for the old forum or add a "captcha image generator" to the registration page so they cant hit submit without typing in the image text.

Spam bots/crawlers/harvesters are always getting more advanced, you'll have to keep your counter measures up to date. Check this out for example.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:19 am

Chebby,
    I get between 90-200 emails everyday. 90% of which is filtered out and sent to the Trash folder. If not for the filters I would be swamped with crap emails everyday!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

SPAM! It's Everywhere! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:25 pm

slowflapper wrote:
    chebby wrote:Well it's definately the OLD forum that's driving me nuts.... This morning I had 118 emails when I turned on the computer... 6 were legit and the other 98% were "spambots" trying to get registered on the old forum.... and they are still coming in Rolling Eyes

Either disable registration emails for the old forum or add a "captcha image generator" to the registration page so they cant hit submit without typing in the image text.

Spam bots/crawlers/harvesters are always getting more advanced, you'll have to keep your counter measures up to date. Check this out for example.

Very informative! I wish that forum had the possibilities to adjust how new members can register, but what do I expect for free? Rolling Eyes

I did put blocks on many of the email servers that they seem to use so it's slowed it down somewhat...
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:51 am

chebby wrote:
    slowflapper wrote:

Very informative! I wish that forum had the possibilities to adjust how new members can register, but what do I expect for free? Rolling Eyes

I did put blocks on many of the email servers that they seem to use so it's slowed it down somewhat...

That wont work for long, 85% of the spam on the WWW comes from malware/virus infected hosts (so they change names/IP's very rapidly). If the old forum is there for reference only can you replace the registration page altogether? or possibly "break" the registration code on purpose?

PM me on it if you like, I do InfoSec for a living.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:29 pm

I've been banning IP addresses like a mad dog (ex: @hotmail.com) and it's slowed them down, but not got rid of the problem... The host of the old forum, from what I've seen in the support forum, is over-run with spambots!

I am VERY thankful it's not HERE! So far I am just the only one that I know of that's having this problem, which most are spambots that are trying to register on the old forum and because I have set it up to admin approval (so if we get a REAL person who wants in, I can send them an email to the new forum) I get the messages that there is a "new member" to be activated....

These spambots never complete the registration process, even if I didn't set it up the way I did, but if there are REAL people out there who want to join,... well you get what I'm trying to do.... We've gotten a lot of members who have registered or tried to, with the old forum first.... and the old forum still has lots of info I think is relavent.... So what can I do, but fight the spambot fight?

Thanks for your concern, and if you think you can still help, let me know.... These FREE forums packaged as they are leave little for us users to change.... for better or worse.... but with the member's gallery on smug mug and monthly basic site fees, it IS what we can afford Wink

Post by Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Chebby since the first of the year I have had over 600 attempts to sign onto my clubs forums. I have deleted all of them but I still get a lot more everyday. A real pain in the butt.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 am

SPAM, Not just for sandwiches any more!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:05 am

vanishingbreed wrote:Chebby since the first of the year I have had over 600 attempts to sign onto my clubs forums. I have deleted all of them but I still get a lot more everyday. A real pain in the butt.

Absolutely! I think I've gotten well over 1000 now and still coming in... I slowed them down by banning common email servers there like @gmail.com

SPAM and egg special 7 days a week! lol!
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:22 pm

I like my eggs sunny side up! Is this just an Administerator problem? My pc is old and slow,But no Spam! Maybe just luck I guess. And while the computer geek was over fixing my wifes laptop last month, I proceded to ask what I can do to speed things up a bit. He was amazed that it even worked. Laughing
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:51 am

Good news! (also good news for VB's club forum) the folks who host the old forum FINALLY got the spambot attack under control Very Happy They made registering more secure and those who get past it will automatically be deleted after 3 days as spammers never activate their registration...

In the 1000 or so that I deleted from the old forum by hand, only ONE was a real live person looking to join Shocked

I will have to be more vigilant over there, making sure who wants to join can before they get dropped...

@ benwah.... your puter may keep going and going even if it is slow... it's these new ones that crap out on you after just a couple of years LOL

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm

I still get 2 or 3 a day and delete them as soon as I see them. Glad they got a handle on it. I was getting tired of deleting.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:28 pm

i'm still getting those too Mike... If they look like "spam" I just delete my email, and they go away in 3 days, if not, I look into them and either approve or delete... so far I just wait for them for them to go away on their own Very Happy

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Chebby, I am still getting 20 or so a day. How about you?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:27 am

I'm down to about a half dozen a day, BUT since that is a forum mostly for historical purposes, no more posting etc... I also blocked most of the common email extentions such as gmail.com ... That put a halt to many of them. Not something I woud recommend with your forum, unless it's an email extention you know wouldn't be used by your members

Post by Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:46 am

yeah the disappear but it sure is annoying.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:11 am

Totally agree! But at least it's not the 50 to 100 a day anymore Shocked

Post by Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:40 am

yep, that's true

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:54 pm