VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

disc brakes and master cylinder

disc brakes and master cylinder Empty disc brakes and master cylinder

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:03 pm

hey all
    first time writing. i recently got a '64 8dr 170 on ebay, you may have seen it there. at first we were looking for an eye catcher for our business and this van was sure to do it. but when i got it off the truck something funny happened. couldnt stop looking at it. i cant stop sitting in it. i love to drive it. i am hooked. this is my first vintage automobile and i don't have ....well any car knowledge but i am pretty handy and can't wait to learn. any info anybody can give would be much appreciated. i am thinking of starting with a front disc brake conversion and possibly a new master cylinder. can anyone suggest an easy disk brake conversion? one that would preferably not need any special tools or machining needed. i found a kit from D&D disc brakes (http://www.dddiscbrakes.com/kits.html), anybody use these? also found a master cylinder conversion kit (http://www.themodernform.com/econoline/econoline_master.html). can anyone tell me if this is trustworthy. if you have any better options i would appreciate the suggestions
    thanks

disc brakes and master cylinder Dscn2910

disc brakes and master cylinder Empty Re: disc brakes and master cylinder

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:15 pm

the D&D kit works very well. I have it on my 66 Econo. I have heard good things about the master too. That looks like a good solid body on your 8 door. There are some very knowledgable guys here when it comes to these early Econos. I have been building them since 1973 and am very addicted to them. Have fun with yours.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the site.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:07 pm

thanks for the input, i've seen the vanishing breed van and some of your other projects... really amazing. the whole van seems to be in pretty decent shape. i am having the rust and rot taken care of in a couple of weeks and hopefully having it painted soon after, its all very exciting. and thanks for the kind welcome itruns cant wait to talk to more of you.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:50 pm

Welcome to the site!!! What a great first van and a rare 8 door at that.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:08 pm

thanks gman. "first van" ... i would have thought that was funny a couple months ago but now i get it. already thinking of the next one i might want
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 pm

mattvinc wrote: already thinking of the next one i might want

Maaaybeee a (wait for it).... Econoline Van-Up? No? Greenbrier? Vdub? Maybe something with an V8. Hum...

Look like someone else caught that bug.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:01 pm

Are you in RI? I am in Warwick and have a flat black 63 8 door.
    Fred

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:40 am

hmmm i do love those greenbriers.

hey fred
    i am in ri. lincoln. are you the fred that does interiors near the airport?
    jreese

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by jreese Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:24 am

Wow What a find! It looks really clean and 8 doors.

It is difficult from the image to see any rust or rot, what needs to be done and what color are you painting it?

Jim
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:26 am

thats a nice looking econoline!

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:33 am

thanks. it is in pretty good shape. it runs well. there are a couple small bubbles and some small rot spots on the corners and it looks like the passenger side parking light panel was pushed in and may need to be fabricated.

i'm thinking of painting it either blk or red. i'll tell ya it is tough to find someone who will do a solid paint job for under $6000. never expected that kind of doe. any ideas.

matt

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:25 pm

welcome matt nice ride the looks the thumbs up makes owning a vintage every penny u spend on it worth it keep me informed on the disc conver i'mm thinking next year of doing the same thing to the 66
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:43 pm

hey fred
    i am in ri. lincoln. are you the fred that does interiors near the airport?[/quote]

Matt,
    Yes, that's me. A freind spotted your truck on Breakneck Hill Rd a couple of weeks ago. I also spoke with Todd at Extreme Restorations, he said someone stopped by who owned an early Econoline. There are a lot of them here in RI on the road, 14 that I know of besides yours, and more being worked on. I also keep track of what's in local salvage yards and backyards. Henry's Auto Salvage in Blackstone MA just crushed a 66 SuperVan, North Smithfield Auto Salvage has a couple still. There are about 30 more in nearby MA, CT and NH salvage yards. If you need anything I probably know where you can find it if I don't have it.
    I was told there is a van and a pickup in a backyard somewhere near Kirkbrae Country Club. I am not to familiar with the area so the directions I got were useless to me. There are three more on Rt 7 north of Bryant college, two in one yard and the other is on a farm.
    Email me directly at fredcarello@yahoo.com when you get a chance and I'll give you my phone number and address. I'm heading up to North Smithfeild tomorrow and returning down Rt 146 through Lincoln. I may try to find the trucks near Kirkbrae if I have enough time.
    Fred

Post by Guest Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:39 am

i will give updates when i do the break conversion and anything else i do. thanks for the welcome bragg1322. beautiful truck

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:01 am